Starting to get nervous about the Stevenson situation....

Except it does. If he got in the portal we could talk to him and convince him he was making the right decision. The fact that they got wind of it beforehand gave them all the time to stop it while we can’t make contact. Fighting with our arms tied behind our back.

I don’t have any info on this other than he was gonna transfer. Cribby can make the call one way or another but I would assume that if it drags into next week... it’s over

I guess like anything else you can add "it depends". Sure they can change his mind, offer him incentive$, harass him, whatever. Point is IF he really wants to leave, and has made his mind up he wants to leave, he can.

If he was not really sure to begin with and was sending out "feelers" then it seems his mind was not yet made up and he could be swayed to stay.

According to what Cribby said, my take was the cat out of the bag did not necessarily change his initial motive to want to leave.

Advertisement
I guess like anything else you can add "it depends". Sure they can change his mind, offer him incentive$, harass him, whatever. Point is IF he really wants to leave, and has made his mind up he wants to leave, he can.

If he was not really sure to begin with and was sending out "feelers" then it seems his mind was not yet made up and he could be swayed to stay.

According to what Cribby said, my take was the cat out of the bag did not necessarily change his initial motive to want to leave.
You’re right in that sense. It’s just harder to go back when your name actually hits the portal. There’s definitely gonna be some incentive to return

But the big thing here is trust. If that was broken the article makes no difference.

Is the kid still good? I know we wanted him out HS but has he done anything at UGA? Or no one knows cuz he's been "out of position" not at CB?

Advertisement

booty dancing GIF

This assumes his coaches had no notice prior to Barry Jackson throwing oil on the spark.

I think it applies beyond Barry Jackson's comments (though they are the most problematic).

The biggest issue is just the formality of the Portal. In simplest terms, entering the Portal should just be the action that allows you to talk to other schools. Technically, a kid does not even have to transfer once entering the Portal, he can stay at his original school. But until entering the Portal, the other schools cannot initiate contact.

There were some who pointed out that UGa put Stevenson at CB for the bowl game. Maybe the coaches sensed some dissatisfaction. The point is, UGa can do/say things that might convince Stevenson to stay, while Miami coaches can't (aren't supposed to) say anything.

Compared to "regular" recruiting, when all coaches can speak with a kid.

Barry is still a jacka$$.

If we’re going after position coaches then I doubt there’s an independent accomplished DC coming in and Manny will have cut his own throat to keep some people around that DC candidates don’t want to be saddled with.

Yup. It's the downside of the self insulating bubble. All coaches have to tune out fans to some degree because there is a lot of nonsense. The problem is that on very, very rare occasions the fans are right, but a coach can't admit that as it would mean (to the coach) that he's allowed the rabble to pierce his bubble. Keeping Baker as DC is going to mean the end of Diaz's career. I know this, you know this, and Diaz probably knows this, but he may try to salvage the Baker hire by giving him all the help he can rather than doing the smart thing and firing him (or at least taking playcalling away) . If he listens to the fans this time, then for the rest of his career he's going to have fans saying "I told you so." The problem is there isn't going to be a "rest of his career."

Nothing more frustrating than wasted potential. It hurts me to the core because if Diaz keeps Baker as DC I know how this story ends- it means two more years of futility, then another HC, and my fingers crossed that the next guy is the right guy. My last best hope is that Blake James is a selfish self-interested pr!ck and pressures Diaz to make a change because he knows if Diaz goes down, he's going down with him.

Advertisement
I’m not worried about the DL coach. What worries me is that Banda didn’t take some of the current staff with him to Utah State and they’re still lingering around.

he took Zuckerman or w..e his name is, he may take DVD (apparently Miami is trying to keep him and DVD wants to stay if we can provide the right role (BJs article)).

he took Zuckerman or w..e his name is, he may take DVD (apparently Miami is trying to keep him and DVD wants to stay if we can provide the right role (BJs article)).
Its not looking good IMO.

If DVD stays - look for him to be promoted to CB’s Coach because that’s what he was getting at Utah State. He’s not hanging around in an off field spot.

Then Patke stays and Baker stays.

So if Manny reaches out to a real DC and says, hey, Baker, Patke and DVD are waiting for you, how do you think that works out?

The strong candidates won’t hitch their wagons to that post. So in effect, Manny will have made it impossible to do what is needed because he insists on keeping his boys. At that point, he’s committed slow acting HC suicide.

It’s possible that Manny hires a DC and let’s him make these decisions though that’s also the best case scenario I’m wishing for at this time.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Its not looking good IMO.

If DVD stays - look for him to be promoted to CB’s Coach because that’s what he was getting at Utah State. He’s not hanging around in an offeld spot.

Then Patke stays and Baker stays.

So if Manny reaches out to a real DC and says, hey, Baker, Patke and DVD are waiting for you, how do you think that works out?

The strong candidates won’t hitch their wagons to that post. So in effect, Manny will have made it impossible to do what is needed because he insists on keeping his boys. At that point, he’s committed slow acting HC suicide.

This is going to be glorious...we keep our DL coach (but in a different non-coaching capacity), we get our CB coach from our recruiting staff, we get rid of our best recruiter from the D-coaching staff, and we bring in no more than 2 outside coaches (DL and S, where we have talented players, as opposed to the LB/CB rooms).

Yeah, that will buy Manny a few more years.

Wow, if that's how it goes down, Manny's got about 350 more days of employment.

Fire up the banners, fire up the billboard trucks, and have @Liberty City El start posting detailed threads about available head coaches.

This is going to be glorious...we keep our DL coach (but in a different non-coaching capacity), we get our CB coach from our recruiting staff, we get rid of our best recruiter from the D-coaching staff, and we bring in no more than 2 outside coaches (DL and S, where we have talented players, as opposed to the LB/CB rooms).

Yeah, that will buy Manny a few more years.

Wow, if that's how it goes down, Manny's got about 350 more days of employment.

Fire up the banners, fire up the billboard trucks, and have @Liberty City El start posting detailed threads about available head coaches.

At that point there isn't any reason to get mad. If I'm angry it's because I still care. If that's how it goes down, I'm not going to even bother watching the games next season.

Advertisement
Stevenson has to enter the portal before we can take this serious, I'll get serious about it then. For now we shouldn't get caught up in the hype.

Advertisement
Back