Official Spring PractiSe #9: Saturday, April 1

FIFY

Going three and out is what kills you. Going fast doesn’t increase your chance of going three and out. If anything you’re more likely to pick up a first down catching a defense off guard than being slow and deliberate. We went three and out waaaay more running Gattis’ slow *** offense than we did going super fast under Lashlee.
Going 3-out at tempo is devastating to your own D. No team can do that and expect consistent Ws.

This [3-out] has been a very consistent problem for Miami teams for years. The root of this is sub-par OL play. Everything on O (for consistency over time) is predicated on OL play.

Advertisement
They’ve already added two transfer DTs and are looking to add another after spring. That would give them 7 DTs not including bigger ends who will slide inside on passing downs. I understand that everyone wants depth but you have to ask: 1) how much of your 85 man roster are you willing to devote to one position and 2) who is willing to transfer here to be a fourth string tackle who will likely never play?

There comes a point where you have to rely on the players you have because you can’t be 4/5 deep at every position on the roster.

Maybe because we still don't have anyone that can play the 1tech role. We don't have anyone that provides us strngth up the middle. I question this a while back when we got Deen.

This seems like a good addition, no ones' questioning that. But I'm being to believe that DT is almost like two positions that you have to recruit for: a 3 tech that can get inside penetration, and a 0 tech that can take on multiple blockers. It seems like most we're getting are best suited for the 3 tech role. We don't have anyone that can fill the role that Courtel Jenkins did.

It's super rare to find someone that can fill both roles such as Vince Wilfork or Cortez Kennedy.
Lance responded with the following.
You can remove the beginning to believe. It is 100% a different position. It’s an entirely different role.

What you really want is the unicorn like you mentioned. A 1T who can also rush the passer. Having a 1T that can do that changes your defense. Not only does it allow your defense to be base-heavy, you aren’t exposed as much by tempo because your 1T can play both run and pass. If an offense gets your slug 1T out there and gets that first 1st down, you tend to see tempo without subbing so that player can’t get off the field and you have little rush. Or vice versa if you get stuck with a DE inside, they’ll pound it.

He further said the following:

Jackson changes the entire room simply by giving a legitimate 1-tech. You are no longer playing your #7 DT at the 1-tech, or undersized guys trying to fill the role.

Getting Jackson cannot be understated if you want to compete against top competition.

Still want to unleash the pass rushers on 3rd and long, but I trust Steele will make it work regardless.
That's why Jackson was a big loss. Also losing Jorden Miller. I know most considered him a JAG, but he served a purpose and we're relying on a redshirt freshman (Moten) to fill that role with no backup.

Maybe it makes sense to revisit that thread.

Making the pieces fit on DL

Going 3-out at tempo is devastating to your own D. No team can do that and expect consistent Ws.

This [3-out] has been a very consistent problem for Miami teams for years. The root of this is sub-par OL play. Everything on O (for consistency over time) is predicated on OL play.
Going 3 and out slowly isn’t really all that different from going three and out fast. You’re not gaining that much by taking ten seconds longer to fail. The goal is to NOT go three and out. If going fast helps your offense to avoid three and outs, you should go fast. There’s a weird belief that going no huddle somehow makes you more prone to going three and out but there’s no evidence to that.

Maybe because we still don't have anyone that can play the 1tech role. We don't have anyone that provides us strngth up the middle. I question this a while back when we got Deen.

Lance responded with the following.

He further said the following:

That's why Jackson was a big loss. Also losing Jorden Miller. I know most considered him a JAG, but he served a purpose and we're relying on a redshirt freshman (Moten) to fill that role with no backup.

Maybe it makes sense to revisit that thread.

Making the pieces fit on DL
That’s why I said they’re looking to add one more guy from the portal after spring. If they can somehow land a serviceable NT/ 1 tech guy from the portal, they’ll be set for next year

Agree they need to add another war daddy. Greatest need on the defense. I think they should add a second DT (fourth if you count Dean and Gore).

7 DT is not unheard of, 8 if you count Lichtenstein. Gore is not popping, he was probably a miss. Only Taylor has the upside to put fear into opposing QBs and he’s been way too inconsistent. We need bigger, burstier and overall better.

Advertisement
It’s easy to say, “we will address X position through the portal,“ but there isn’t a ton in the portal across all positions. How many guys in the portal even have a 92+ rating as a college player.

The portal is where you go for JAGs with a college player.

It’s not where you go to land the once piece you desperately need.

Great point. Controlled tempo is ideal. Gotta know when to step on the gas and tap the brakes. That Joe Brady/LSU offense is the perfect example. I think our guy understands that and it was music to MC’s ears. My $0.02…

Go Canes!
Yup that James Coley offense was great when it was good, went no huddle on passing down and the Qb had the option to audible at the line but also had great Run pass options for TE and Running backs

Going 3 and out slowly isn’t really all that different from going three and out fast. You’re not gaining that much by taking ten seconds longer to fail. The goal is to NOT go three and out. If going fast helps your offense to avoid three and outs, you should go fast. There’s a weird belief that going no huddle somehow makes you more prone to going three and out but there’s no evidence to that.
What I would offer is 3-out at tempo gives the opposing O ~10-15 more offensive plays per game right?

Am I off?

I didn't mean to imply fast/slow tempo is the root cause of 3-out. My bad if I did. I was trying to offer "going tempo" is not a more successful O scheme (at its root) than slow and it seems porsters call for that constantly.

I'm a broken record droning on and on...the key to any O scheme is above average OL unit.

Now, get the OL unit right and go high temp when need be, then our offensive unit gets more bites at the apple.

Go Canes.

They’ve already added two transfer DTs and are looking to add another after spring. That would give them 7 DTs not including bigger ends who will slide inside on passing downs. I understand that everyone wants depth but you have to ask: 1) how much of your 85 man roster are you willing to devote to one position and 2) who is willing to transfer here to be a fourth string tackle who will likely never play?

There comes a point where you have to rely on the players you have because you can’t be 4/5 deep at every position on the roster.
Who the **** did the evals and decided that adding the two DT’s they added was a good move??? That’s one major problem. They had options, including taking no one and waiting, and they added dreck.

Advertisement
It’s easy to say, “we will address X position through the portal,“ but there isn’t a ton in the portal across all positions. How many guys in the portal even have a 92+ rating as a college player.

This is a painful post after your initial comment, which I agree with

There will be new players entering the portal after the spring so it doesn’t matter who is in it right now

The JAG comment is so far off base it’s not even worth addressing

Most of the time this is facts

This is a painful post after your initial comment, which I agree with

There will be new players entering the portal after the spring so it doesn’t matter who is in it right now

The JAG comment is so far off base it’s not even worth addressing
I mean Jamyr Gibbs, Jordan Addison, Teota’olo however it’s spelled. That’s how it should ultimately be used not to build a team.

Advertisement

247 had 50 players in the portal with a 92 grade or better

Agree they need to add another war daddy. Greatest need on the defense. I think they should add a second DT (fourth if you count Dean and Gore).

7 DT is not unheard of, 8 if you count Lichtenstein. Gore is not popping, he was probably a miss. Only Taylor has the upside to put fear into opposing QBs and he’s been way too inconsistent. We need bigger, burstier and overall better.
Gore may be a miss; also could be taking high reps due to low #'s at the position. Tough going for an undersized guy?

Gore may be a miss; also could be taking high reps due to low #'s at the position. Tough going for an undersized guy?
It's not could be taking high reps due to low numbers.........we're missing LT, JHH, Lich, and Horton doesn't arrive till summer. Gore was always supposed to be a rotational guy. Deen was a kid with higher expectations.

Advertisement
Who the **** did the evals and decided that adding the two DT’s they added was a good move??? That’s one major problem. They had options, including taking no one and waiting, and they added dreck.
Deen is legit. He produced in the big 10 against better competition than he’ll see here. Gore….I think they were desperate for help at DT

What I would offer is 3-out at tempo gives the opposing O ~10-15 more offensive plays per game right?

Am I off?

I didn't mean to imply fast/slow tempo is the root cause of 3-out. My bad if I did. I was trying to offer "going tempo" is not a more successful O scheme (at its root) than slow and it seems porsters call for that constantly.

I'm a broken record droning on and on...the key to any O scheme is above average OL unit.

Now, get the OL unit right and go high temp when need be, then our offensive unit gets more bites at the apple.

Go Canes.
The number of plays the opponent gets is 100% dependent on your defense’s ability to get them off the field.

The number of plays the opponent gets is 100% dependent on your defense’s ability to get them off the field.
Not so fast my friend....

The number of offensive plays your opponent gets is 100%...

"game clock given back to opposing O because your O can't stay on the field" + "opposing O sustained drives because your D can't get them off the field" = opposing O play oopportunity

am I off on this??

The problem we had was being insanely inconsistent on first down and being statistically overly good on third down.
The thing is, we had an offensive scheme that completely revolved around putting the offense in third and short situations last year. Everything was designed to make it easier to convert first downs. The problem is, they prioritized getting into third and three instead of actually scoring points. It’s really hard at the college level to execute consistently on long drives. It’s a great luxury to be able to use the whole clock while converting third down after third down over the entire length of the field but even the best teams struggle to do that. You have to create explosive plays if you want to score points. I’d rather a coach sacrifice a few plays for no or minimal gain to set up a 50 yarder than a coach try to get 4 yards at a time.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back