Official Spring PractiSe #8: Thursday March 30

Overall, it looks like an 8-4 team if all of the breaks go their way.

The middle of the DL has a major talent AND depth issue. It’s like the OL from last year. It was paper thin then a few injuries hit and it was over.

That’s obviously not news, but it’s pretty glaring. I know the OL is improved and people are injured, but the *** kicking they’re getting in 1:1 and goal line is really concerning.
We will try address it after spring in the Portal.

Advertisement

The middle of the DL has a major talent AND depth issue. It’s like the OL from last year. It was paper thin then a few injuries hit and it was over.

That’s obviously not news, but it’s pretty glaring. I know the OL is improved and people are injured, but the *** kicking they’re getting in 1:1 and goal line is really concerning.
More changes should happen after spring.

I think they can, but I also was told Lucas was coming last portal cycle. So obviously I don’t know ****.
We just have to have urgency at DT. I think Mario will. Either way this year won't be perfect on the field. As long as this time next year we have the talent infusion on d line we have right now at o line we'll be good.

Advertisement

After last year...8-4 would have us landing a Top 3 class.

If we can't stop the run due to the DL talent and depth...we'll have to completely rely on the offense to score points...which might actually benefit us in the race to reel in these Uber talented WRs we're chasing.

To be fair, the interior OL added 2 all conference players at C and G. Cohen and Lee should do good work vs. most DT's in the ACC. On the flip side you have 2 potential starters in Leonard Taylor and JHH not participating.

This defense will makes it money pressuring and affecting the QB, scheming up negative plays in run game with TFL's, and trying to force turnovers.

To be fair, the interior OL added 2 all conference players at C and G. Cohen and Lee should do good work vs. most DT's in the ACC. On the flip side you have 2 potential starters in Leonard Taylor and JHH not participating.

This defense will makes it money pressuring and affecting the QB, scheming up negative plays in run game with TFL's, and trying to force turnovers.
And Kam eating :)

Advertisement

Thanks for that. I’m sure it was nice to get in there and see things for yourself. The defense concerns me. Did the WR’s look improved and did you like what you saw Dawson doing?

OL should be much better than lsat year. All comes down to healthy. If healthy, this OL easily outshines last year's OL.

Lee/Cohen/FG are huge upgrades over what we had last year (Clark, Justice, DJ).

Zion, Rivers, Samson, Cooper round out a really solid top 7 guys. I would love to see 1-2 more guys develop for depth. That would give us a very solid rotation of 8-9 guys.

To me, DL has big time depth issues. I'm not ready to say it has major talent b/c those major talent guys need to prove themselves to be more consistent. Depth is virtually non-existent and we're going to have to go deep into the portal for DL again next year.

Advertisement
Thanks for that. I’m sure it was nice to get in there and see things for yourself. The defense concerns me. Did the WR’s look improved and did you like what you saw Dawson doing?

I like very much what they’re doing offensively with spacing and splits. Can’t say anything else beyond that if I want to get invited back in the summer when it matters

OL should be much better than lsat year. All comes down to healthy. If healthy, this OL easily outshines last year's OL.

Lee/Cohen/FG are huge upgrades over what we had last year (Clark, Justice, DJ).

Zion, Rivers, Samson, Cooper round out a really solid top 7 guys. I would love to see 1-2 more guys develop for depth. That would give us a very solid rotation of 8-9 guys.

To me, DL has big time depth issues. I'm not ready to say it has major talent b/c those major talent guys need to prove themselves to be more consistent. Depth is virtually non-existent and we're going to have to go deep into the portal for DL again next year.

We’re on the same page about the OL.

I was trying to equate the DL situation this year to last years OL situation. Very shallow depth.

Advertisement
I like very much what they’re doing offensively with spacing and splits. Can’t say anything else beyond that if I want to get invited back in the summer when it matters

Happy Workaholics GIF

Yeah, I figured you were limited in what you could say so I was just hoping that you liked what you saw on O as that says enough for me.

Miami averaged (all opponents) 360ypg last year which is was an indicator their inability to move the ball consistently at a very slow pace.

I’d expect Miami to get back into the 450-475ypg with the scheme and pacing. If that translates to touchdowns when the games start, I don’t know yet. I want to see what Fletcher can bring (or another portal RB) to do work close to the goal line.

Things you can confidently glean about the upcoming season from spring practices:

Zero point zero

That’s not true.

If you attended any part of practice last year, you could tell the condensed formations and route concepts where bad.

The kids didn’t like it, some of the recruits and their parents didn’t like it, and those in attendance didn’t like it.

The same patterns continued thru the summer practices (dropped balls, poor play design) and then Southern Miss slammed the brakes on the season by showing everyone else how to defend the team.

Advertisement
Back