Official Spring PractiSe #8: Thursday March 30

That’s not true.

If you attended any part of practice last year, you could tell the condensed formations and route concepts where bad.

The kids didn’t like it, some of the recruits and their parents didn’t like it, and those in attendance didn’t like it.

The same patterns continued thru the summer practices (dropped balls, poor play design) and then Southern Miss slammed the brakes on the season by showing everyone else how to defend the team.
Agree .... still obviously have to wait to see it done on the field but all signs and comments are that there is a significantly more effective offensive scheme in place and a very solid buy in by all players and staff. Add in key OL additions and it is clear that the offense is in a better position to have scoring opportunities.

Advertisement
Miami averaged (all opponents) 360ypg last year which is was an indicator their inability to move the ball consistently at a very slow pace.

I’d expect Miami to get back into the 450-475ypg with the scheme and pacing. If that translates to touchdowns when the games start, I don’t know yet. I want to see what Fletcher can bring (or another portal RB) to do work close to the goal line.
I'm looking at other indicators above total yards.

The first one is yards/play. At 4.8 yards/play, we were 104th out of 131 teams. Just the year prior, we were at least 63rd (5.6 yards/play).

Last year, we were 119th in yards/point.

Last year, we were 117th in offensive TDs.

Last year, we were 117th in points/play.

Last year, we were 110th in Red Zone efficiency.

Despite focusing a lot on down and distance with early down formations and calls, we were 77th in 3rd down conversion %.

Everyone knows how bad we were on offense. I still think it's understated. We were historically bad. It's difficult to process.

Advertisement

The first one is yards/play. At 4.8 yards/play, we were 104th out of 131 teams. Just the year prior, we were at least 63rd (5.6 yards/play).

Despite focusing a lot on down and distance with early down formations and calls, we were 77th in 3rd down conversion %.

Everyone knows how bad we were on offense. I still think it's understated. We were historically bad. It's difficult to process.
Redzone efficiency is normally a dead giveaway on what kind of team and offense you are. Seven versus three is the difference between a win and loss most weeks. Especially when your talent advantage isn’t wide.

Advertisement
Miami averaged (all opponents) 360ypg last year which is was an indicator their inability to move the ball consistently at a very slow pace.

I’d expect Miami to get back into the 450-475ypg with the scheme and pacing. If that translates to touchdowns when the games start, I don’t know yet. I want to see what Fletcher can bring (or another portal RB) to do work close to the goal line.

I’m actually shocked at 360. Sounds high.

Is the Bethune-Cookman game factored into these offensive indicators/statistics listed above? If so, our offense was even worse than what these indicators show.

I understand almost every major college football team schedules a team like this, so numbers will be skewed for them as well, but the BC game really elevated our numbers.

For example. Our offense scored a total of 30 offensive touchdowns last year. Our offense scored 9 TD's in the BC game alone. So, our offense scored the remaining 21 TD's over the course of next 11 games. We basically scored 1/3 of all our offensive TD's for the season in one game. Thats insane. Here is a break down of our offensive TD's by game.

BC - 9 (Also had 1 defensive TD for total of 10 TD's)
Southern Miss - 3
Texas A&M - 0
MTSU - 3 (also scored on KO return for total of 4 TD's)
UNC - 3
VT - 2
Duke - 3
Virginia - 0
FSU - 0
GT - 4 (also scored a defensive TD for total of 5 TD's)
Clemson - 1
Pitt - 2

Another example of skewed numbers in the BC game is our yards per play. Our yards per play against BC were significantly higher than any other game. Again, I realize the BC game counts and every FBS program will play a team like that or comparable. I bet if we took out the stats of our BC game and also the stats of the weakest team for every FBS program, our offensive indicators would fair much worse than other schools.

I had arguments with people on here when I posted the wr’s were struggling catching the ball and getting open. That issue never went away.
And I so appreciated it which is why you are one of the trusted posters I look towards for an accurate assessment of the team.

To say there’s nothing to be gleaned from spring when you can literally go back to last year and read what was said and then compare it to actual games is asinine.

Here is a break down of our offensive TD's by game.

BC - 9 (Also had 1 defensive TD for total of 10 TD's)
Southern Miss - 3
Texas A&M - 0
MTSU - 3 (also scored on KO return for total of 4 TD's)
UNC - 3
VT - 2
Duke - 3
Virginia - 0
FSU - 0
GT - 4 (also scored a defensive TD for total of 5 TD's)
Clemson - 1
Pitt - 2
throw up team america GIF

Advertisement
And I so appreciated it which is why you are one of the trusted posters I look towards for an accurate assessment of the team.

To say there’s nothing to be gleaned from spring when you can literally go back to last year and read what was said and then compare it to actual games is asinine.
Yes and no. While Spring/Aug camps can provide indicators, the real data comes at G1 kickoff.

We won't have meaningful data/indicators until G4/5.

G2 will be interesting and progress will be Miami is competitive through 4Qs. Great progress is earning dub-u. Stunning progress would be beating AtM soundly.

1 injury away from 1-11
Jacurri would struggle being forced to pass, but he has the ability to win a game or two completely on the ground. His senior year high school playoff tape was insane. He's got the hero gene inside, but he'll never fully realize it until he can be effective when forced to throw from the pocket. If that day comes, you've got another Cam Newton. If not, he'll have flashes but it'll be a missed opportunity when all said and done.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back