Official Spring PractiSe #8: Thursday March 30

Advertisement
That’s not true.

If you attended any part of practice last year, you could tell the condensed formations and route concepts where bad.

The kids didn’t like it, some of the recruits and their parents didn’t like it, and those in attendance didn’t like it.

The same patterns continued thru the summer practices (dropped balls, poor play design) and then Southern Miss slammed the brakes on the season by showing everyone else how to defend the team.

But we were too dumb or stubborn to change it?

Maddening

Advertisement
Defense should always be ahead of offense at this point. I don’t care if we have two all conference IOL transfers and a few guys missing on the DL. It’s a very bad sign. We need a couple high value DL portal guys before fall camp.

All 3 QBs look impressive but only one is ready to go.

Clearly George, Young and Restrepo are thriving under Dawson and Beard, and it sounds like Ray Ray is going to turn heads. But don’t be lulled into thinking that’s good enough. We need a #1.

Mario has filled a lot of holes but this roster was Swiss cheese. He still has a lot of work cut out for him between now and August.

I'm just excited to see the step George can take under beard. Watching what he did with the last batch he had here was exciting.

That’s not true.

If you attended any part of practice last year, you could tell the condensed formations and route concepts where bad.

The kids didn’t like it, some of the recruits and their parents didn’t like it, and those in attendance didn’t like it.

The same patterns continued thru the summer practices (dropped balls, poor play design) and then Southern Miss slammed the brakes on the season by showing everyone else how to defend the team.
Serious question...

How did GERDis translate his philosophy to dropped balls, over thrown passes, and below average OL with little consistent push when they needed it, etc?

I'm not defending GERDis, but its wash, rinse, repeat since Nix.

"...last OC sucked, this new OC is gonna light it up..."

at some point maybe, just maybe...

IF the turtle has a better season this year than Miami's last year, has GERDis magically transformed back into Broyley Broil Gattis?

Searles sucked as an OL corch on Greentree until his UNC lines cucked Miami's DL for how many games?

I believe Miami's problem for a long time now has been lack of recruiting first and lack of development second. Don't get me wrong, both are critical, I just offer our Canes sucked even more on the former than the latter.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Serious question...

How did GERDis translate his philosophy to dropped balls, over thrown passes, and below average OL with little consistent push when they needed it, etc?

IF the turtle has a better season this year than Miami's last year, has GERDis magically transformed back into Broyley Broil Gattis?

Searles sucked as an OL corch on Greentree until his UNC lines cucked Miami's DL for how many games?

I believe Miami's problem for a long time now has been lack of recruiting first and lack of development second. Don't get me wrong, both are critical, I just offer our Canes sucked even more on the former than the latter.
The problem with our OC hires is we’ve replaced one terrible pro style coach with another and expected the results to be different. It’s no coincidence that the only OC’s we’ve hired that have had success after Miami were Jedd Fisch and Rhett Lashlee. Two guys that purposely stepped away from “pound the rock, bro” style offenses. We’ve spent twenty years going “if only we had a dominant offensive line” instead of saying “we don’t have a dominant line, let’s try something that doesn’t require one.”

Serious question...

Searles was terrible at Miami because he kept recruiting the wrong guys. His poor recruiting evaluation led to bad coaching. He arrived at UNC (and Georgia) with significantly more proven talent which is much easier from him to coach with.

Searles was terrible at Miami because he kept recruiting the wrong guys. His poor recruiting evaluation led to bad coaching. He arrived at UNC (and Georgia) with significantly more proven talent which is much easier from him to coach with.
His coaching style also did not work here AT ALL. Yelling “y’all love bugs taking a dip in a honeycomb moonshine while the dew on the grass sweat like a can of tea in the afternoon sun” type of rants

Advertisement
Phil Longo's offense made his mediocre lines look much better than they actually were. They didn't miss a beat when Searles left for Georgia last year.

The problem with our OC hires is we’ve replaced one terrible pro style coach with another and expected the results to be different. It’s no coincidence that the only OC’s we’ve hired that have had success after Miami were Jedd Fisch and Rhett Lashlee. Two guys that purposely stepped away from “pound the rock, bro” style offenses. We’ve spent twenty years going “if only we had a dominant offensive line” instead of saying “we don’t have a dominant line, let’s try something that doesn’t require one.”
Respectfully disagree...for consistent success, in any style of O, the key is having an above average (at least) to elite OL unit.

Yes/no??

Proving my point...yes...

Advertisement
Have you heard Ed O talk???
His coaching style also did not work here AT ALL. Yelling “y’all love bugs taking a dip in a honeycomb moonshine while the dew on the grass sweat like a can of tea in the afternoon sun” type of rants

Respectfully disagree...for consistent success, in any style of O, the key is having an above average (at least) to elite OL unit.

Yes/no??
I'd say it's a great luxury but the fact is there's only so many elite linemen in college football so unless you're in that 1% of programs that signs them regularly, you need to work around that. To me, it's like an NFL team saying "well if we only had Tom Brady, we could win the Superbowl." Is having Tom Brady going to greatly increase your odds? Of course. Is there a bunch of Tom Brady's out there for the picking? Nope. So if you don't have Tom Brady, you better devise a new way to win games instead of trying to rely on something you don't have.

I'd say it's a great luxury but the fact is there's only so many elite linemen in college football so unless you're in that 1% of programs that signs them regularly, you need to work around that. To me, it's like an NFL team saying "well if we only had Tom Brady, we could win the Superbowl." Is having Tom Brady going to greatly increase your odds? Of course. Is there a bunch of Tom Brady's out there for the picking? Nope. So if you don't have Tom Brady, you better devise a new way to win games instead of trying to rely on something you don't have.
I'm not saying top 1%, but at least a serviceable "Top 10-15" OL unit is an absolute requirement for any consistent hope of 9+ win seasons year after year.

Let's face it, Miami's OL have been much closer to Top 120-130 rather than Top 10-15, and the W-L results indicate that as well.

Advertisement
Back