Official Spring PractiSe #8: Thursday March 30

Advertisement
The gap between above average and elite is so large that. Above average is nearly middle of the pack ish and elite is probably Top 10, easily top of the conference.
I guess I define as such:

Top 3 - elite
Top 4-10 - well above average
Top 11 -15 - above average

I guess I define as such:

Top 3 - elite
Top 4-10 - well above average
Top 11 -15 - above average

I agree strongly with your metapoint. ... Regardless of how you bucket it, you need at least a Top 15 OL to win 10+ games consistently (i.e. to be a Top 10 school). How many of our OL who have left/graduated have even made the league in the past few years? How many have started? I can't think of any names. In fact the only OL I can think of that is on a roster in the NFL right now is Feliciano ... We've been below the midpoint of the ACC since Golden's last decent OL graduated 10 years ago.

The gap between above average and elite is so large that. Above average is nearly middle of the pack ish and elite is probably Top 10, easily top of the conference.

Indeed, sir. to illustrate: a 5-star kid who pans out chalk in college and gets drafted in the middle of the first round is a multimillionaire who is set for life the day he signs if he doesn't **** it up and spend frivolously.

A low 4-star kid who pans out chalk, let's say the 400th ranked kid in America (there are a lot more than 400 five and four stars kids btw) not only doesn't get drafted, but he's about 140th best UFA and is probably working at an Enterprise Rent-A-Car location before the first cuts are made- if he's even invited to a camp.

You need difference-makers.

Advertisement
I'm not saying top 1%, but at least a serviceable "Top 10-15" OL unit is an absolute requirement for any consistent hope of 9+ win seasons year after year.

Let's face it, Miami's OL have been much closer to Top 120-130 rather than Top 10-15, and the W-L results indicate that as well.
I guess my whole point is, why wait until you have an elite or near elite offensive line to actually score points? If you can play a style that scores points with lesser linemen, use that style while adding elite linemen. It’s only going to make a good offense better. You shouldn’t NEED elite players at any position to score in modern college football. Team with very average talent light up scoreboards every week. I’m of the opinion that if you take an offense that’s successful with mediocre talent and add premium talent, you’ll be unstoppable.

I guess my whole point is, why wait until you have an elite or near elite offensive line to actually score points? If you can play a style that scores points with lesser linemen, use that style while adding elite linemen. It’s only going to make a good offense better. You shouldn’t NEED elite players at any position to score in modern college football. Team with very average talent light up scoreboards every week. I’m of the opinion that if you take an offense that’s successful with mediocre talent and add premium talent, you’ll be unstoppable.
Absolutely see your point. With that said, I believe Mario's (and JJ, Butch, Saban, etc.) philosophy is this...

...I'm here for longer than a day, so I am going to install a structure that gives my organization consistent success tomorrow and the next day...I'm not going to waiver from that track, and by doing so, we will show the world the talent we want to bring in, and we will do so...

Now, the above is awesome when it works, it also gets you fired when it doesn't produce results fast enough...we'll either be encouraged by Y4 or we'll be burning down the new athletic building...

No surprise I lean towards that tactic as the long-term answer...I do believe in Mario putting consistent high performing results on the field eventually...

but you make an equally valid assertion for sure

Advertisement
For me average is around 50. My above average group is probably from 30-45. Good is Top 25. Elite is Top 12.

I agree with much of this. But elite has to be better than Top 12. Good should be 16-30. Insert a Very Good category from 6-15 and Elite is Top 5.

Absolutely see your point. With that said, I believe Mario's (and JJ, Butch, Saban, etc.) philosophy is this...

...I'm here for longer than a day, so I am going to install a structure that gives my organization consistent success tomorrow and the next day...I'm not going to waiver from that track, and by doing so, we will show the world the talent we want to bring in, and we will do so...

Now, the above is awesome when it works, it also gets you fired when it doesn't produce results fast enough...we'll either be encouraged by Y4 or we'll be burning down the new athletic building...

No surprise I lean towards that tactic as the long-term answer...I do believe in Mario putting consistent high performing results on the field eventually...

but you make an equally valid assertion for sure
Nothing wrong with that as a long-term strategy. The problem is the execution in the short term. You need to show each step is progressing towards your objective without having to do a reset (such as with staff or scheme).

Who knows maybe you'd be able to sign a WR1 from high school or the portal.

Advertisement
Back