Official Spring PractiSe #4: Tuesday, March 21

You are correctly answering your own questions as to why 2021 was better than 2022; the staff. Mario missed on his first staff, but it happens in coaching, a lot, that the first staff has lots of misses. I expect the improvement in staff alone to account for 2 more wins than in 2022.
That's exactly why I'm not going to be happy with 7-5. If 2022 was a failure because the staff sucked, 2023 should be a success with a new staff. I'm not expecting 12-0 against the SEC. I think 8 or 9 wins against our borderline g5 schedule is a very reasonable expectation.

Advertisement
That's exactly why I'm not going to be happy with 7-5. If 2022 was a failure because the staff sucked, 2023 should be a success with a new staff. I'm not expecting 12-0 against the SEC. I think 8 or 9 wins against our borderline g5 schedule is a very reasonable expectation.
I’m going 7-5/8-4 just because I still see so many roster holes, especially at d-tackle and LB. And if TVD is hurt again I still see us as unprepared behind him.

Was the 2022 roster worse than the 2021 roster? Did the transfers and signees Mario brought in not make the team better? The only players who contributed heavily in 2021 that weren't on the roster in 2022 were Rambo, Harley and Cam Harris. Three undrafted players. The question wasn't "would Manny have won more games in 2022?" The question is "why didn't a better and MUCH higher paid coaching staff do a better job with a better roster than the previous staff?"
We need to recruit better I would feel alot better about the season if even those 3 were still on the team.

Was the 2022 roster worse than the 2021 roster? Did the transfers and signees Mario brought in not make the team better? The only players who contributed heavily in 2021 that weren't on the roster in 2022 were Rambo, Harley and Cam Harris. Three undrafted players. The question wasn't "would Manny have won more games in 2022?" The question is "why didn't a better and MUCH higher paid coaching staff do a better job with a better roster than the previous staff?"

Ha. You just made my point, thank you.

Let's just use Rambo, Harley and Cam Harris, since they are the three you mentioned. Those three accounted for 2244 yards from scrimmage and 18 TD's in 2021. We lost a massive amount of production after 2021, with little here to replace it. Our production was gutted when they left.

The guys who remained on the roster after Rambo and Harley left can't catch; some have already been pushed out, and the WR group immediately became this teams albatross the second they left. Duh. It still is, which is why we are scrambling to attack the spring portal for more WR, again.

Rambo alone had the best season for a WR in UM history. Harley is the all-time UM career leader in receptions, and also holds the UM single game record for receptions. Rambo had the 4th most receptions in a single game at UM, btw. Rambo's 79 catches in 2021 were the most by a UM receiver, ever. Rambo also set the all-time UM record for yards, in a season (1172) in 2021. And had the second most yards ever in a single game in UM history. That's at least FIVE ALL TIME UM WR RECORDS that walked out that door.

Again, 2244 yards from scrimmage and 18 TD's, out the door, with nothing behind them but bad evals.

Appreciate the softball, thanks.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think we rightfully expected a 15M/year coaching staff with a crazed booster seemingly underwriting their wish list to perform at a level higher than the staff and roster Duke football transitioned into for 2022.

Yeah, we needed to uproot bad habits and toxic attitudes. We also needed to be better prepared for the likes of MTSU, Duke, TAMU, and Pitt. And, not get blown to bits by FSU.

Cristobal needs a breakfast ball (mulligan)? Have at it. But, expectations will be anchored to some of the worst results we’ve ever seen in this program. I think our collective hope is we find a way to destroy that anchor, too.
Agree with everything you said, brother.

Here's why I'm a little more optimistic than most (although I'm naturally in that camp to begin with).

I know, I know, you are what your record says you are. But, IMO, I think we can all agree that a healthy TVD last year is at least a 6 win team. Separate from his health, the OC was not competent. So, I don't think that the team was really as bad as a 5 win team.

I really like this OL and the potential depth. If TVD stays healthy and if Dawson is at least competent (I don't even think we need him to be a star), this team should win 8 or 9. The expectation shouldn't be 7 because I think last year should not set the expectations given the 2 issues I raised above.

There's no reason on earth this team shouldn't Win 8

I’m going 7-5/8-4 just because I still see so many roster holes, especially at d-tackle and LB. And if TVD is hurt again I still see us as unprepared behind him.
TVD getting hurt obviously affects the entire season. I just can't look at the schedule and see 5 teams we should lose to given good health.

We have three freebie OOC games against Miami (OH) BCC and Temple.

We have three freebie conference games against the three worst ACC teams GT, UVA and BC

That's six wins against programs we're infinitely more talented than.

If you want to chalk up Clemson, FSU and UNC as losses, I won't argue but I think we have a legit shot against two of those teams.

If we go 1-2 against Louisville, NCSU and Texas 5&7, I'd consider that a failure.

This isn't some impossible gauntlet.

He isn't being paid 8 million a year (plus ridiculous staff/analyst budget) to make excuses. Put all that effort into the portal. Let Ruiz have a go at the wife. Beg or trade sexual favors if you must. Win at all cost. Now.

/please
None of that is wrong but his gameday coaching wont make up for the deficiencies we have with Dline, Secondary and Receiver groups. Not to mention the QB ? that most are assuming will be answered.

Advertisement
There's no reason on earth this team shouldn't Win 8
In the portal age and the ability to quickly flip the roster, an 8-win season doesn't seem like a big ask. That's especially true if TVD is healthy and playing well. Others can weigh in on the schedule, but it's not a cakewalk. Definitely appears more difficult than what Manny faced.

Unless there's another ****-show like MTSU, the season will be determined by the outcome of these games:
Texas A&M
@ UNC
Clemson
@ NC State
@ FSU
Louisville
@ BC (Nov. 24)

Ha. You just made my point, thank you.

Let's just use Rambo, Harley and Cam Harris, since they are the three you mentioned. Those three accounted for 2244 yards from scrimmage and 18 TD's in 2021. We lost a massive amount of production after 2021, with little here to replace it. Our production was gutted when they left.

The guys who were left on the roster after Rambo and Harley left can't catch; some have already been pushed out, and the WR group immediately became this teams albatross the second they left. Duh. It still is, which is why we are scrambling to attack the spring portal for more WR, again.

Rambo alone had the best season for a WR in UM history.

Harley is the all-time UM career leader in receptions, and also holds the UM single game record for receptions.

Rambo had the 4th most receptions in a single game at UM, btw.

Rambo's 79 catches in 2021 were the most by a UM receiver, ever.

Rambo also set the all-time UM record for yards, in a season (1172) in 2021.

And had the second most yards ever in a single game in UM history.

Again, 2244 yards from scrimmage and 18 TD's, out the door, with nothing behind them but bad evals.

Appreciate the softball, thanks.
You're vastly overrating the value of two undrafted wide receivers and an undrafted running back. Do you think those guys can't be easily replaced? those guys put up numbers because they played in a system that allowed them to. There's a reason why one of them is an XFL backup and the other doesn't even play football. Do you believe that Van Dyke also just forgot how to play quarterback last year or was it the possible that the previous system made it easy for him to put up huge numbers? Watch the receivers who couldn't play last year put up big numbers this year.

Miami went 5-7 last year because Mario hired a truly horrible coaching staff that crapped the bed in every way possible. He got a mulligan and replaced a ton of those terrible coaches. Now we should expect a significant improvement.

Last season was just plain unwatchable. One time we'd run well, the next we couldn't gain a yard. No penalties one game, the next we racked up dozens of penalty yards. There was zero consistency and it didn't even look like the players cared about trying to win.

At the very minimum, make it look like you care about the game as much as I do to watch it.

Last season was just plain unwatchable. One time we'd run well, the next we couldn't gain a yard. No penalties one game, the next we racked up dozens of penalty yards. There was zero consistency and it didn't even look like the players cared about trying to win.

At the very minimum, make it look like you care about the game as much as I do to watch it.
I think I left every home game besides UNC early.

Advertisement
I’m right there with u. I support Mario, and I’m willing to give a mulligan for yr 1, however, it’s shown throughout CFB history, that if u’re a top coach, yr 2 should see significant improvement. 8 wins is way too low; it needs to be 9+ wins at minimal.
Especially with the transfer portal. It’s not the old days where guys need 3-4 years. Mario had to do a complete tear down of the program which is what he did the past 16 months.

But now? He turned over most of the roster. He’s turned over the coaching staff twice. We should expect to see some serious progress this year in terms of culture and results on the field. We aren’t going to walk through our schedule but we shouldn’t finish worse than 2nd in the coastal. I’m with you, barring injuries especially to TVD this team needs to win at least 8 games and be competitive in every game for me to feel positive about the future under Mario.

Again, historically, by yr 2 any coach worth a **** takes his team to another level w/ the same players.

1. The cancers r supposed to have removed from the team & replaced with better talent.

2. We’re allegedly bringing back a veteran QB who has 1st round talent

3. The OL should be leaps & bounds better

4. We allegedly brought in an offensive mind to be an OC,

5. We’re going to running a defensive scheme that was ranked highly

If Manny can go from 6-7 to 8-3 after a change in offensive philosophy, & supposedly TVD is leaps & bounds better than D King (pause), then why shouldn’t any of us expect at least 9 wins next yr at an $8m/yr clip?

Listen, I was defending Mario last season. I knew we would have struggles, not 5-7 struggles, but struggle nonetheless. That was yr 1, yr 2 should look & feel way different.
Bravo sir, bravo.

Prepare to be disappointed. Unless Mario has 3 or 4 studs waiting to be signed we about to look real 6-6 ish.
If Mario goes 6-6 this year then he’s never going to be the guy here and should be on the hot seat. He’s hand picked a coaching staff twice now and his players more than likely make up 50% of the team now.

Lincoln Riley, who I think is extremely overrated turned USC around in not even a year.

Advertisement
If Mario goes 6-6 this year then he’s never going to be the guy here and should be on the hot seat. He’s hand picked a coaching staff twice now and his players more than likely make up 50% of the team now.

Lincoln Riley, who I think is extremely overrated turned USC around in not even a year.
Lincoln knew that 2 of the 3 most important positions are QB and WR. He completely revamped those rooms. Mario has left a lot of meat on the bones there.

Why not us? Every year there are teams that have bad seasons prior, and bounce back to have really good seasons the next year.

2021 TCU went 5-7 then 13-2 in 2022.
2021 FSU went 5-7 then 10-3 in 2022.
2020 Mich St. went 2-5 then 11-2 in 2021.
2021 Southern Cal went 4-8 then 11-3 in 2022.

-We changed offenses to better suit our skill players.
-We have a QB that has proven he can put up elite #'s in the proper system for his strengths.
-We rebuilt our OL from one of worst in ACC in 2022, to possible one of the best in 2023.
-Our RB's and WR's are healthy and have added some pieces that can help this season.

-We changed defensive systems that better suit our talent and players.
-We return 2 of the more productive Defensive lineman in the ACC in Mesidor and Taylor. We return and added some of the best interior pass rushers in NCAA. The DL should once again be one of the better pass rushing units in the ACC and country.
-We have upgraded a poor unit at LB with Mauigoa transfer and having Wesley B. get valuable snaps last season. In his 1st or 2nd career start he had 8 tackles on road at Clemson.
-We return the best safety group in the ACC, and arguably the best safety in the country in Kam.

We play Clemson who has come back to the pack in the ACC last 2 years.

We play Texas A&M team coming off a 5-7 season.

We play an UNC team that really collapsed late in the season, and lost their good OC, and best WR.

We play a FSU team that did hammer us last season, but that team they played is nowhere near the team they will face this upcoming season in Miami.

Again why not us?

8-4 plus a bowl win would be a big deal IMO. Mario could sell improvement and continue to recruit at a high level. We are still a class or two away I think from having the roster depth and overall talent level that we need to make some real noise. At the end of the day, I just want to see an improved offense and defense and beat the teams we are supposed to beat. Even that low bar would be better than what we have been seeing these last 2 decades.

Advertisement
Back