Official Spring PractiSe #4: Tuesday, March 21

Lincoln knew that 2 of the 3 most important positions are QB and WR. He completely revamped those rooms. Mario has left a lot of meat on the bones there.
Good for Lincoln, but doesn't take the second coming of Knute Rockne to figure it out.

Advertisement
Lincoln knew that 2 of the 3 most important positions are QB and WR. He completely revamped those rooms. Mario has left a lot of meat on the bones there.

I'll say this. I will feel a whole lot better about our chances of breaking out of the 6-8 win guardrails into 9-10 wins with a healthy TVD and a #1 WR from the portal. We still need to fill holes at OT, DT, LB and DB. But the biggest issue we have by far is offensive production.

Advertisement
I'll say this. I will feel a whole lot better about our chances of breaking out of the 6-8 win guardrails into 9-10 wins with a healthy TVD and a #1 WR from the portal. We still need to fill holes at OT, DT, LB and DB. But the biggest issue we have by far is offensive production.
F A X. I'd add DE to that list but you hit the nail on the head.

None of that is wrong but his gameday coaching wont make up for the deficiencies we have with Dline, Secondary and Receiver groups. Not to mention the QB ? that most are assuming will be answered.

Was the portal warp zone closed to fill those clear deficiencies the last 2 off seasons?

Advertisement
Filling with bodies vs filling with talent has been our issue. We don't need more backups.

Agreed 💯. Seeing the OL last December for OL experts and only bringing in jags was awful. No WR 1 or guys that could beat out last year’s starters at LB and CB… portal usage has been OK, but needs to be much much better for an elite recruiter with clear holes to plug.

Advertisement
Why not us? Every year there are teams that have bad seasons prior, and bounce back to have really good seasons the next year.

2021 TCU went 5-7 then 13-2 in 2022.
2021 FSU went 5-7 then 10-3 in 2022.
2020 Mich St. went 2-5 then 11-2 in 2021.
2021 Southern Cal went 4-8 then 11-3 in 2022.

-We changed offenses to better suit our skill players.
-We have a QB that has proven he can put up elite #'s in the proper system for his strengths.
-We rebuilt our OL from one of worst in ACC in 2022, to possible one of the best in 2023.
-Our RB's and WR's are healthy and have added some pieces that can help this season.

-We changed defensive systems that better suit our talent and players.
-We return 2 of the more productive Defensive lineman in the ACC in Mesidor and Taylor. We return and added some of the best interior pass rushers in NCAA. The DL should once again be one of the better pass rushing units in the ACC and country.
-We have upgraded a poor unit at LB with Mauigoa transfer and having Wesley B. get valuable snaps last season. In his 1st or 2nd career start he had 8 tackles on road at Clemson.
-We return the best safety group in the ACC, and arguably the best safety in the country in Kam.

We play Clemson who has come back to the pack in the ACC last 2 years.

We play Texas A&M team coming off a 5-7 season.

We play an UNC team that really collapsed late in the season, and lost their good OC, and best WR.

We play a FSU team that did hammer us last season, but that team they played is nowhere near the team they will face this upcoming season in Miami.

Again why not us?
It's definitely not impossible, but we've been burned too many times by optimism, so hopeful pessimism is pervasive.

For the record, I think it all hinges on how well the players adapt to the new playbooks.

It's definitely not impossible, but we've been burned too many times by optimism, so hopeful pessimism is pervasive.

For the record, I think it all hinges on how well the players adapt to the new playbooks.
100% on Mario.

He's turned over nearly the entire roster and has gotten the chance to select 2 staffs now. If the players aren't "adapting well" to the playbook, then that failure is on him.

Advertisement
If Manny can go from 6-7 to 8-3 after a change in offensive philosophy, & supposedly TVD is leaps & bounds better than D King (pause), then why shouldn’t any of us expect at least 9 wins next yr at an $8m/yr clip?
Better lawyer up using that because @JG13 likely has the copyright on that name and any other legal proceedings, social media handles, etc etc.

100% on Mario.

He's turned over nearly the entire roster and has gotten the chance to select 2 staffs now. If the players aren't "adapting well" to the playbook, then that failure is on him.
I agree if we're talking accountability, but I'm talking on field results. That's on how well the players get down the playbook and know/do what's expected.

Filling with bodies vs filling with talent has been our issue. We don't need more backups.
Sucks cause whatever is in there that's what's in there. Sometimes u basically picking off the dollar menu no matter what. It's why HS recruiting is way more important. Get the studs then so u don't have to go searching. But our roster been so bad that u have no choice at this point.

Advertisement
Back