Sports Buzz 11-29

The other thing the Hurricanes must do, Fishbein said, is improve their strength and conditioning program. “If they keep [longtime strength/conditioning coach] Andreu Swasey, it won't matter who the coach is. When was the last time Miami wore a team out in the second half of a game?”
------------

Best part of the article. Read that 100x
Related to this is the other part I agree with from blustien, our oline and Dline are so weak that they neutralize our speed advantages in the skill positions.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't disagree with anything said. I think the article was spot on and very in line with what I have been saying all season.

Chad Thomas was overrated coming out of HS and was and is not near the football player Joey Bosa is. Chad Thomas should have been a high 3 star prospect and would have been if he played in another area. That being said he is raw and with the right coaching could develop into a NFL DE. It was just wrong to rate him that high coming out of HS. Look at all the highly rated players coming out of BTW and look at how many lived up to the hype.

The best coach Miami can hire is one that can coach is catch these SFLA kids up to what it takes to succeed at the college level.

So you're in favor of butch??😏

I don't disagree with anything said. I think the article was spot on and very in line with what I have been saying all season.

Chad Thomas was overrated coming out of HS and was and is not near the football player Joey Bosa is. Chad Thomas should have been a high 3 star prospect and would have been if he played in another area. That being said he is raw and with the right coaching could develop into a NFL DE. It was just wrong to rate him that high coming out of HS. Look at all the highly rated players coming out of BTW and look at how many lived up to the hype.

The best coach Miami can hire is one that can coach is catch these SFLA kids up to what it takes to succeed at the college level.

Did you feel this when he was in high school, or only after he's done nothing as a 3-4 DE/OLB? The revisionist history is maddening. Kids are always the apple of every college programs eye, but our kids just end up "busts"?

OR

Is it that we haven't had a professional coaching staff to make these kids better in over 15 years?

Watching the Jax-Bolt game. Commenting on Hurns, the announcer expresses amazement that he went undrafted. Later, the announcer praises Perryman as a closer and hard hitter with great leverage who will succeed Butler as one of San Diego's ILBs. The article that was posted to this thread is interesting, but it underestimates how poorly the team was coached under Folden. Chickillo and Hurns are flourishing in the NFL, but barely received attention while at UM. Perryman should have been a 1st rounder; many NFL teams needed ILBs to help stop the run, but UMs horrible defense devalued players like Perryman. Walford will be the next great UM TE in the NFL. UM floundered because of Folden and his two sidekick coordinators. Yes, the team lacks size, speed and nastiness on the OL and DL, but whose fault is that? Isn't it the job of the coaching staff to recruit top linemen? As the article says, with a good OL, even slightly above average RBs will look great, and Duke certainly was better than slightly above average. It is clear that Folden and his crew were in above their heads. They had no plan, no scheme, no football smarts. Perhaps, Folden's dream was to recreate his years at Penn State. Maybe, that is why he kept his fat Nittany buddy around as DC. Enough. It has all been said already. Just don't tell me that coaching was not the prime reason for the team's failure in the last 5 years.

Didnt Miami have 7 or 8 players drafted after last season ( who all made an NFL roster) and two undrafted FAs make teams?

How many programs can say that?

Advertisement
Didnt Miami have 7 or 8 players drafted after last season ( who all made an NFL roster) and two undrafted FAs make teams?

How many programs can say that?

None. Highsmith is trying to blame the players for the failures of his boy Kehoe, Golden, and Swasey. Same story of nepotism for years.

The question isn't about this team competing with Miami teams of old. The question is why isn't this team wining the coastal year in and year out? Other than cherry picking a few players here or there, what unit in the coastal would you trade players for players? lol other than the OL that is, we all know they suck balls(we've seen the pictures to prove that). Who's defensive players would we rather have? Who's offensive players would we rather have? As a group, who's skill players would you rather have? Now, who's coordinators would you rather have? There's the answer right there. With the right coaching this team probably wouldn't beat Alabama or Ohio State, but they would easily win the coastal. With the right coaching this team is 10-2 or 11-1 this year.. not 8-4. A TE coach went 4-1 with this team... nuff said.
Show you have the coaching to compete and the truly elite players start coming to Miami again.

The question isn't about this team competing with Miami teams of old. The question is why isn't this team wining the coastal year in and year out? Other than cherry picking a few players here or there, what unit in the coastal would you trade players for players? lol other than the OL that is, we all know they suck balls(we've seen the pictures to prove that). Who's defensive players would we rather have? Who's offensive players would we rather have? As a group, who's skill players would you rather have? Now, who's coordinators would you rather have? There's the answer right there. With the right coaching this team probably wouldn't beat Alabama or Ohio State, but they would easily win the coastal. With the right coaching this team is 10-2 or 11-1 this year.. not 8-4. A TE coach went 4-1 with this team... nuff said.
Show you have the coaching to compete and the truly elite players start coming to Miami again.

Amen.

Advertisement
Mullen interviewed and Golden was picked over him and others....what a **** show in Coral Gables.

Fishbein has never heard anybody talking about the lack of recruiting quality DL????? He must not be paying attention to the program or it's fan base if that is the case.

Advertisement

Somebody should ask Damien Mama his thoughts on that bold statement.

Did you feel this when he was in high school, or only after he's done nothing as a 3-4 DE/OLB? The revisionist history is maddening. Kids are always the apple of every college programs eye, but our kids just end up "busts"?

OR

Is it that we haven't had a professional coaching staff to make these kids better in over 15 years?

I didn't think he had the right frame/weight for his position. I don't think kids should be rated as a 5 star unless they have all the tools. It was/is possible for Chad to add the right weight and get to this point but it isn't a guarantee. A 5 star kid should be able to come in and contribute right away. Chad Thomas is bbasically as talented AQM and McCord.

Advertisement

So you're in favor of butch??

It depends on who the list of candidates truly is, but in general **** yeah.

Every year for the past 10 years we've had this "anonymous NFC scout" aka Alonzo Highsmith tell us how we aren't as talented as his teams were....and then proceed to have more NFL players than anyone else.

You know why we look bad? B/C the kids have no idea what they are doing. B/C they have a bunch of high school recruiters teaching them.

Why does the OL look bad? B/C they are being coached by a guy who lost it ten ******* years ago.

Why are we bad in the trenches? B/C we have a Planet Fitness personal trainer running our S&C program (at least Fish got that right).

Miami may not have enough talent to win a title, but it had more than enough to be a 10 win team every year.

agree with this post but I don't think it's Highsmith. Highsmith is making a living off our undrafted guys because he knows how talented they are

It's been going on since Butch left, notice the trend?

Advertisement
Back