Sports Buzz 11-29

Brickbybrick_mp

Sophomore
SUNDAY BUZZ COLUMN

With UM beating Pittsburgh in Friday’s regular-season finale (after losing to Pitt last year), here’s one puzzling, troubling reality the new Hurricanes coach must wrap his arms around:

Why does this program lose so many games to teams with significantly lower-rated recruiting classes (UNC, Cincinnati, several others in recent years) and get annihilated by a Clemson team with a similarly ranked class?

In other words, has this been entirely a case of coaches not extracting the most out of the talent, or have Miami’s recruits been vastly overestimated?

Many fans believed it was largely a coaching issue. But two NFL scouts said it’s a combination of both, and one longtime recruiting analyst said the high grades for Miami’s classes are misleadingly skewed.

It’s an issue the next UM coach must figure out, as he determines where the talent needs to be upgraded, what schemes must be changed and how much of a scheme change can help with the current personnel.

Exploring the issue with evaluators who have watched UM closely this season and previous ones:

### A respected NFC scout, who has seen Miami in person and on tape: “When a team isn’t performing [to expectations], there are two reasons: The kid isn't good enough or the coaches aren't doing a good enough job. This situation is a combination of both.

“Offensively, on the lines and the skill positions, I don’t see nearly the talent of past Miami teams. Their top receivers would be third or fourth receivers on old Miami teams. Rashawn Scott and Herb Waters are third-day guys [in the draft]. Stacy Coley has talent, but his play is mediocre [until recently]. I don’t see a great running back there now.

“But defensively, they should be better than this. There are eight or nine [draft-eligible] kids I've been looking at on their defense; no way they should be losing 58-0. They have two defensive linemen, [Ufomba] Kamalu and [Calvin] Heurtelou who will be at NFL camps. Neither one would have played on old Miami lines, but I’ll take them to at least try to make my team.

“They will never be able to return to those famous defensive lines with Cortez Kennedy and Jerome Brown, but they've got defensive linemen that are more than respectable for the ACC.

“They've got a talented secondary. Artie Burns has the talent to be a first-round pick. Corn Elder is a pretty good player. Deon Bush -- he's going to play in the league, maybe a fourth or fifth-round pick. Tracy Howard is a good little corner, a draftable kid, could be your fifth or sixth corner [on an NFL team].”

In regard to Rivals.com saying Clemson and Miami signed nearly identically rated recruiting classes, the scout said: “Clemson obviously is more talented from top to bottom. But with some [Miami] kids, they have talent and it doesn’t convert to the field.” He said one issue for Miami is undisciplined play, not merely penalties but in other ways.

For example: “Artie Burns has got everything you want skill wise, size wise in a corner and he can run, but he is so careless and undisciplined,” the scout said. “He makes a good play and then two, three plays later makes a dumb play. He gave up a touchdown in the Clemson game because he was dumb in his [technique]. Now is that coaching? I’m sure the coach told him what to do, but he wants to do things his way.”

The other NFC scout said he’s convinced the coaching (especially defensively) is holding this team back and Miami must use a defense more reliant on instincts and less on thinking.

“They’ve got to get back to a 4-3 defense and get back recruiting big kids," that scout said.

### Recruiting analyst Larry Blustein, on how UM is losing to teams with much lower-ranked recruits and being blown out by a team (Clemson) with similarly rated classes: “The canned answer is the coaching, but you’re grasping when you say that. It's a combination of things. The strength of Clemson was their defensive line, and the weakness of Miami is their offensive line, so they were exploited there.”

Blustein said: “USC went after five-star linemen and two and three star running backs. And five-star linemen can make two- or three-star backs look better. That's why USC didn't fade into oblivion after NCAA sanctions while Miami did.

“Miami hasn’t successfully recruited marquee defensive linemen in a long time -- they haven’t recruited guys in the right position to compete with Clemson.” He said the new coach must make that a priority.

“And some of these Miami kids were overrated,” Blustein said. “If these people doing the ratings were professional, they’d be working for a team. Rivals and Scout can make these anointments with nothing riding on it.”

But how can four-star St. Thomas Aquinas grad Joey Bosa go to Ohio State and have 21 sacks in his first two years there, while UM’s five-star Chad Thomas (from Booker T. Washington) had one?

“Bosa is being used in a better way. And look at the guys around him --- they’re better than the guys around Thomas, guys who allow Bosa to freelance,” Blustein said. “As it turned out, it doesn't look like Chad Thomas and Tracy Howard were five star [worthy] kids.

“The other factor is schemes,” Blustein said. “Duke doesn’t have the athletes Miami has, but there's a scheme, the way David Cutcliffe coaches and the way the kids respond.

“A scheme change can really make a difference. You would think [UM coaches] would have said, ‘Let's change it up.’ They have more 4-3 guys than 3-4 guys. But you can’t make Brad Kaaya into a spread quarterback if they want to play [a pure] spread” next year.

Former UM Heisman Trophy winner Gino Torretta makes a valid point: “The kids are thinking way too much [on defense]. Pare the scheme back; run a couple plays over and over. Let the kids play fast.” (Let’s hope the new 2016 coordinator does this.)

### Local recruiting analyst Charles Fishbein: "People look at skill positions and say, ‘We have Duke Johnson, Phillip Dorsett.’ The one thing I don't hear anybody bring up is where are all the defensive linemen? When was the last time they had a lineman drafted in the first three rounds? Calais Campbell [in 2008]. Where do you win games? Up front. Every team in the top 10 is great up front. Miami's problem is never going to be skill positions.”

The other thing the Hurricanes must do, Fishbein said, is improve their strength and conditioning program. “If they keep [longtime strength/conditioning coach] Andreu Swasey, it won't matter who the coach is. When was the last time Miami wore a team out in the second half of a game?”

UM CHATTER

### A close associate of Butch Davis said last week that Davis was optimistic that he would get an audience with UM athletic director Blake James in the week ahead. And when Davis canceled his scheduled appearance in ESPN2's studio on Saturday, that fueled speculation that Davis' interview was this weekend.

The normally accessible Davis declined to respond when I asked him Saturday if he interviewed, and agent Jimmy Sexton declined to discuss it with our Susan Miller Degnan.

By the way, Davis did not tell ESPN management why he requested the day off. And UM isn't saying a word publicly about the search, with advisory committee members having been sworn to secrecy.

The friend said Davis was excited about the potential opportunity to talk to UM. The question is whether what he has to say is compelling enough to lift him in James' eyes.

As we've written, James is considering Davis, despite some internal UM concerns about what happened at North Carolina (James was not implicated by the NCAA). And as we've noted, a friend of James has said that James knows he has Davis if nothing more appealing surfaces.

### Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel, in a piece analyzing every college coaching opening, said it would be surprising if the UM job doesn't go to one of four people: Davis (his favorite to get the job), Rob Chudzinski, Greg Schiano and Dan Mullen.

As we noted last week, Chud and Schiano have some support on UM's advisory search committee. And Mullen, the Mississippi State coach, interviewed with UM before Al Golden was hired and left a favorable impression on at least one of the few people involved in that search. But would he leave a job paying him more than $4 million annually?

### Mario Cristobal is the most polarizing UM coaching candidate among Trustees (aside from Butch Davis), but associates and an NFL scout with whom he speaks said he has become a better coach working for Nick Saban.

Advertisement
In certain cases, people confuse draft positions and recruiting rankings with talent. Butch didn't always have top ten classes but 5 years later we can see his classes were always the most talented in the country. Additionally, we've only had one defensive lineman drafted in the first 3 rounds since 08, but we've had Luther robinson, Aqm, Chad Thomas, Kendrick Norton, chick, Calvin H, and Kamulu on the line. That's by no means an all star group but all of them should've producing much more than what they were. I agree with fishbein 100% when he says we need to improve s&c and the trenches or we'll never win.

I don't think it's fair to say Chad Thomas isn't worthy of his ranking. Let's see what he can do with a real coach. Also, saying 4* bosa and 5* Thomas made it seem like there was a big gap between the two players. Chad Thomas' 247 composite ranking was 26 and bosa's ranking was 37.

I also love how the scout assumes Artie burns will just do whatever he wants. Do Clemson dbs never give up touchdowns on dumb plays? Has VH3 or Jalen Ramsey never given up a touchdown on a dumb play? Why is anyone sure the coach is instructing him to do the right thing after these past 5 years?

Artie Burns has got everything you want skill wise, size wise in a corner and he can run, but he is so careless and undisciplined,” the scout said. “He makes a good play and then two, three plays later makes a dumb play. He gave up a touchdown in the Clemson game because he was dumb in his [technique]. Now is that coaching? I’m sure the coach told him what to do, but he wants to do things his way.

Why can't kaaya be a spread qb?

But you can’t make Brad Kaaya into a spread quarterback if they want to play [a pure] spread” next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo butch was perhaps, maybe, possibly on campus as the rumor said. Hmmmm

Advertisement
Oh man, the people that provided comments for this article are quite the group of idiots.

It's an entire article highlighting characteristics of poorly coached players and teams, only to turn around and absolve the staff of major blame.

At least they got the Swasey part right. We look like a softball team from a dive bar out there. Get these kids into a real S&C program for God's sake.

Last edited:
Advertisement
“Offensively, on the lines and the skill positions, I don’t see nearly the talent of past Miami teams. Their top receivers would be third or fourth receivers on old Miami teams. Rashawn Scott and Herb Waters are third-day guys [in the draft].

Allen Hurns says hello douchebag

I don't care what our classes rank. Get kids in here that can play, tons of those in Sfla, and coach them up. Everyone already knew the issue was OL/DL play and coaching, nobody had to tell me that.

I think Golden and his crew are just can't evaluate talent on OL. DL, I think there is potential there in the next few years. The next issue is obviously S&C, you can bring in the under rated guys in the trenches when you have elite strength program and they just control the other side and not have to rely on technique. It's obvious our OL has no technique, no communication (both of those are coaching), and no strength. We are winning absolutely nothing up front.

We do have elite talent on this roster tho

We have a

#1 WR - Lawrence Cager, Stacy Coley

#1 RB - Trayone Gray (but they don't use him)

#1 TE - Njoku

And Brad Kayaa

No excuses for this staff

I dont agree with the talent at all. If chad thomas and aqm were at alabama they would be all Americans. I do agree about our offensive line. They are horrible.

Golden made these kids losers. EVERY college wanted some of these kids. Its not like they were rated 4 or 5 stars and only had offers from miami.

Advertisement
So to summarize:
1) Our defensive scheme sucks
2) Our OL sucks
3) Swasey sucks
4) Butch likely interviewed yesterday
5) Barry Jackson continues to find ways to shoehorn Cristobal's name into the coaching search discussion

SUNDAY BUZZ COLUMN

With UM beating Pittsburgh in Friday’s regular-season finale (after losing to Pitt last year), here’s one puzzling, troubling reality the new Hurricanes coach must wrap his arms around:

Why does this program lose so many games to teams with significantly lower-rated recruiting classes (UNC, Cincinnati, several others in recent years) and get annihilated by a Clemson team with a similarly ranked class?

In other words, has this been entirely a case of coaches not extracting the most out of the talent, or have Miami’s recruits been vastly overestimated?

Many fans believed it was largely a coaching issue. But two NFL scouts said it’s a combination of both, and one longtime recruiting analyst said the high grades for Miami’s classes are misleadingly skewed.

It’s an issue the next UM coach must figure out, as he determines where the talent needs to be upgraded, what schemes must be changed and how much of a scheme change can help with the current personnel.

Exploring the issue with evaluators who have watched UM closely this season and previous ones:

### A respected NFC scout, who has seen Miami in person and on tape: “When a team isn’t performing [to expectations], there are two reasons: The kid isn't good enough or the coaches aren't doing a good enough job. This situation is a combination of both.

“Offensively, on the lines and the skill positions, I don’t see nearly the talent of past Miami teams. Their top receivers would be third or fourth receivers on old Miami teams. Rashawn Scott and Herb Waters are third-day guys [in the draft]. Stacy Coley has talent, but his play is mediocre [until recently]. I don’t see a great running back there now.

“But defensively, they should be better than this. There are eight or nine [draft-eligible] kids I've been looking at on their defense; no way they should be losing 58-0. They have two defensive linemen, [Ufomba] Kamalu and [Calvin] Heurtelou who will be at NFL camps. Neither one would have played on old Miami lines, but I’ll take them to at least try to make my team.

“They will never be able to return to those famous defensive lines with Cortez Kennedy and Jerome Brown, but they've got defensive linemen that are more than respectable for the ACC.

“They've got a talented secondary. Artie Burns has the talent to be a first-round pick. Corn Elder is a pretty good player. Deon Bush -- he's going to play in the league, maybe a fourth or fifth-round pick. Tracy Howard is a good little corner, a draftable kid, could be your fifth or sixth corner [on an NFL team].”

In regard to Rivals.com saying Clemson and Miami signed nearly identically rated recruiting classes, the scout said: “Clemson obviously is more talented from top to bottom. But with some [Miami] kids, they have talent and it doesn’t convert to the field.” He said one issue for Miami is undisciplined play, not merely penalties but in other ways.

For example: “Artie Burns has got everything you want skill wise, size wise in a corner and he can run, but he is so careless and undisciplined,” the scout said. “He makes a good play and then two, three plays later makes a dumb play. He gave up a touchdown in the Clemson game because he was dumb in his [technique]. Now is that coaching? I’m sure the coach told him what to do, but he wants to do things his way.”

The other NFC scout said he’s convinced the coaching (especially defensively) is holding this team back and Miami must use a defense more reliant on instincts and less on thinking.

“They’ve got to get back to a 4-3 defense and get back recruiting big kids," that scout said.

### Recruiting analyst Larry Blustein, on how UM is losing to teams with much lower-ranked recruits and being blown out by a team (Clemson) with similarly rated classes: “The canned answer is the coaching, but you’re grasping when you say that. It's a combination of things. The strength of Clemson was their defensive line, and the weakness of Miami is their offensive line, so they were exploited there.”

Blustein said: “USC went after five-star linemen and two and three star running backs. And five-star linemen can make two- or three-star backs look better. That's why USC didn't fade into oblivion after NCAA sanctions while Miami did.

“Miami hasn’t successfully recruited marquee defensive linemen in a long time -- they haven’t recruited guys in the right position to compete with Clemson.” He said the new coach must make that a priority.

“And some of these Miami kids were overrated,” Blustein said. “If these people doing the ratings were professional, they’d be working for a team. Rivals and Scout can make these anointments with nothing riding on it.”

But how can four-star St. Thomas Aquinas grad Joey Bosa go to Ohio State and have 21 sacks in his first two years there, while UM’s five-star Chad Thomas (from Booker T. Washington) had one?

“Bosa is being used in a better way. And look at the guys around him --- they’re better than the guys around Thomas, guys who allow Bosa to freelance,” Blustein said. “As it turned out, it doesn't look like Chad Thomas and Tracy Howard were five star [worthy] kids.

“The other factor is schemes,” Blustein said. “Duke doesn’t have the athletes Miami has, but there's a scheme, the way David Cutcliffe coaches and the way the kids respond.

“A scheme change can really make a difference. You would think [UM coaches] would have said, ‘Let's change it up.’ They have more 4-3 guys than 3-4 guys. But you can’t make Brad Kaaya into a spread quarterback if they want to play [a pure] spread” next year.

Former UM Heisman Trophy winner Gino Torretta makes a valid point: “The kids are thinking way too much [on defense]. Pare the scheme back; run a couple plays over and over. Let the kids play fast.” (Let’s hope the new 2016 coordinator does this.)

### Local recruiting analyst Charles Fishbein: "People look at skill positions and say, ‘We have Duke Johnson, Phillip Dorsett.’ The one thing I don't hear anybody bring up is where are all the defensive linemen? When was the last time they had a lineman drafted in the first three rounds? Calais Campbell [in 2008]. Where do you win games? Up front. Every team in the top 10 is great up front. Miami's problem is never going to be skill positions.”

The other thing the Hurricanes must do, Fishbein said, is improve their strength and conditioning program. “If they keep [longtime strength/conditioning coach] Andreu Swasey, it won't matter who the coach is. When was the last time Miami wore a team out in the second half of a game?”

UM CHATTER

### A close associate of Butch Davis said last week that Davis was optimistic that he would get an audience with UM athletic director Blake James in the week ahead. And when Davis canceled his scheduled appearance in ESPN2's studio on Saturday, that fueled speculation that Davis' interview was this weekend.

The normally accessible Davis declined to respond when I asked him Saturday if he interviewed, and agent Jimmy Sexton declined to discuss it with our Susan Miller Degnan.

By the way, Davis did not tell ESPN management why he requested the day off. And UM isn't saying a word publicly about the search, with advisory committee members having been sworn to secrecy.

The friend said Davis was excited about the potential opportunity to talk to UM. The question is whether what he has to say is compelling enough to lift him in James' eyes.

As we've written, James is considering Davis, despite some internal UM concerns about what happened at North Carolina (James was not implicated by the NCAA). And as we've noted, a friend of James has said that James knows he has Davis if nothing more appealing surfaces.

### Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel, in a piece analyzing every college coaching opening, said it would be surprising if the UM job doesn't go to one of four people: Davis (his favorite to get the job), Rob Chudzinski, Greg Schiano and Dan Mullen.

As we noted last week, Chud and Schiano have some support on UM's advisory search committee. And Mullen, the Mississippi State coach, interviewed with UM before Al Golden was hired and left a favorable impression on at least one of the few people involved in that search. But would he leave a job paying him more than $4 million annually?

### Mario Cristobal is the most polarizing UM coaching candidate among Trustees (aside from Butch Davis), but associates and an NFL scout with whom he speaks said he has become a better coach working for Nick Saban.

Barry Jagoff writes this same column every year.
He wrote a similar one last year on the eve of the FSU game quoting several
"coaches" and "scouts" about how this team was not very talented in comparison
to FSU....yet, just like this season, the team looked fine against the Noles and
even had a bunch of players drafted.
Barry Jagoff is full of it, and so are his "NFL scout" buddies.

Advertisement
crossover22[]_[];2392356 said:
I dont agree with the talent at all. If chad thomas and aqm were at alabama they would be all Americans. I do agree about our offensive line. They are horrible.

Golden made these kids losers. EVERY college wanted some of these kids. Its not like they were rated 4 or 5 stars and only had offers from miami.

The problem with Chad Thomas comes back to the Chickillo article the other day, the same thing is going on with Chad. CT came in at about 240 and he's playing around 270-275 (275 on the roster). He's been here a year and a half and gained 30 pounds, a lot of it is bad weight. Chick has dropped 40 lbs since leaving UM. The reality is Chad was forced to put on that weight to fill a spot the coaches failed to recruit a right fit for their scheme and it's hard for anyone to handle that much weight in a short period of time.

The next coach needs to get Chad (and others) to drop some weight. Chad should get back to his roots playing with speed, and gt him down around 255-260 and he's going to destroy people. He's always close to making a play, but he's just a second late. Extra speed and less thinking due to the complex scheme, and he's making all those plays.

It's real cute that it's pretty much guaranteed that we'll give Cristobal an interview but Butch has to hope for an "audience" with Flake. Btw, what courtesy do we even owe Luigi? Why even booster his credibility by giving him an interview? Let him get that somewhere else through his glorious association with Saban. Didn't he show an obvious preference for that route?

crossover22[]_[];2392356 said:

The problem with Chad Thomas comes back to the Chickillo article the other day, the same thing is going on with Chad. CT came in at about 240 and he's playing around 270-275 (275 on the roster). He's been here a year and a half and gained 30 pounds, a lot of it is bad weight. Chick has dropped 40 lbs since leaving UM. The reality is Chad was forced to put on that weight to fill a spot the coaches failed to recruit a right fit for their scheme and it's hard for anyone to handle that much weight in a short period of time.

The next coach needs to get Chad (and others) to drop some weight. Chad should get back to his roots playing with speed, and gt him down around 255-260 and he's going to destroy people. He's always close to making a play, but he's just a second late. Extra speed and less thinking due to the complex scheme, and he's making all those plays.

I agree. It totally on golden. These kids are supposed to play fast. Hard to play fast when you pack on all this extra weight.

Advertisement
Back