Speedster Schwartz talks relationship with Rumph

Advertisement
But but but Rumph can't recruit...

Fact is Rumph has done a very solid job for us coaching and recruiting. We also got the top offensive lineman from American Heritage this past class and already got the top DT for 2018. Schwartz even makes it clear he has a very close relationship with Coach Rumph. To say he can't recruit just is not true, Plus the 2018 class for DB looks very promising.

Advertisement
I'd be surprised if he ends up here.

Go on...

Honestly I would too. Not for lack of talent or anything, I just think we're only taking 3 WRs this cycle and we have guys higher up the list than him right now. Of course lots can change in 11 months...

They are taking 4.

Even so, we've got Wiggins (commit), Pope, Hightower, Moore, Williams, Thompson, Austin, Harris, Schwartz, et al for maybe four spots. That's a ton of talented bodies, some of which will get squeezed out. I'm not saying stop recruiting him or anything like that because we're 11 months from NSD and, y'know, Crootin'. I just think at the end of the day I don't think he'll be one of the four (or three lol) we take.

So, you guys think the talent at WR is so good this year that Schwartz is a "fall back" type for UM? On one hand, I'd hate to see all that speed not given a shot but on the other, college football benches are littered with track guys.

I'd be surprised if he ends up here.

Go on...

Honestly I would too. Not for lack of talent or anything, I just think we're only taking 3 WRs this cycle and we have guys higher up the list than him right now. Of course lots can change in 11 months...

They are taking 4.

Even so, we've got Wiggins (commit), Pope, Hightower, Moore, Williams, Thompson, Austin, Harris, Schwartz, et al for maybe four spots. That's a ton of talented bodies, some of which will get squeezed out. I'm not saying stop recruiting him or anything like that because we're 11 months from NSD and, y'know, Crootin'. I just think at the end of the day I don't think he'll be one of the four (or three lol) we take.

4 star kid running a 4.3 w good size from AH...I'm pretty sure we'll find a way to make room. Ya'll act like recruiting is some accounting firm, where it's hard numbers. You always find a way to get talent you want in. All elite schools do it.

Advertisement
It's not that Schwartz or anybody on our WR board at this point is a "plan B" guy. It's that we're only taking four WR tops and somebody's going to get left behind.

They are taking 4.

4 star kid running a 4.3 w good size from AH...I'm pretty sure we'll find a way to make room. Ya'll act like recruiting is some accounting firm, where it's hard numbers. You always find a way to get talent you want in. All elite schools do it.

To a point. Where do you draw the line? There's at least SEVEN stud WRs (maybe more). Do we take them all if they all want in? What about the 7 DBs we need? How many other positions do we under-recruit to bring in those other WRs? Or do we cut loose 15 guys from the current roster? Yes, of course you make room for talent but everyone still has to work under the 25/85 rule. That's all I'm saying.

You would have to take him as an athlete and find a spot to get him touches. You got to have that kind of speed on your roster

Advertisement
It's not that Schwartz or anybody on our WR board at this point is a "plan B" guy. It's that we're only taking four WR tops and somebody's going to get left behind.

Gotcha ghost but if we're only taking three, maybe four at WR you and a few others must think he's at best the fifth best WR prospect on our board? Not arguing, just curious. I'm not as versed in local recruiting as a lot of the other guys here.

Gotcha ghost but if we're only taking three, maybe four at WR you and a few others must think he's at best the fifth best WR prospect on our board? Not arguing, just curious. I'm not as versed in local recruiting as a lot of the other guys here.

That's the thing I think Schwartz is definitely in my top 6-7 so my opinion has nothing to do with his talent level, I'm just *guessing* that the coaches have 3 guys they'd take ahead of him first - let's say Pope, Williams, and Hightower to go with Wiggins. I'm also not naive or myopic enough to assume that those four names aren't going to change over the next 11 months. I'm assuming (hoping) Pope commits and sticks. I'm assuming Wiggins sticks. After that there are maybe two spots for a bunch of talented guys.

They are taking 4.

To a point. Where do you draw the line? There's at least SEVEN stud WRs (maybe more). Do we take them all if they all want in? What about the 7 DBs we need? How many other positions do we under-recruit to bring in those other WRs? Or do we cut loose 15 guys from the current roster? Yes, of course you make room for talent but everyone still has to work under the 25/85 rule. That's all I'm saying.

I totally agree w you; but w a guy like this, you gotta take him as an athlete...just get him in and package him. No way we can take everyone, but this guy, from that pipeline, w that speed...you make room for him. Same w Surtain or Samuel Jr if they wanted in if he hit our target for DB.

Advertisement
In before Lucane suggests moving him to db
Ha. This joke sucks so much already because it's almost rarely accurate on which guys I'd like to see where. Schwartz is another kid I'd play at WR over DB first and foremost. Then let it play out from there. I think at this point the only guy I've been adamant about moving to DB as of late is Deejay Dallas. And, I'll stick with the idea he'd make a better future CB/FS.

Imagine our offense with Jeff Thomas, Mike Harley, Lingawww, Schwartz, among others on the field at the same time...what defense can matchup with that speed?

Imagine Thomas and Schwartz returning kicks...imagine any of these kids returning punts...people say speed kills for a reason because it actually does.

I hope this staff finds a spot for this kid.

He doesn't show as the football player Hester did. That is Jeff Thomas, IMO.

I think he is a take all day-- AH & elite speed. We have the room.

His brain is already 50% track though. It's not a +1 to football. I would think an elite track program is in the drivers seat ultimately.

Advertisement
Back