SOTG Lance Guidry - Roman Marciante

Guys like mesidor is he a stand up edge guy dropping in coverage or is he he one of the dts?
How do you guys see our current players fitting in
In term of position
I think this system is perfect since it doesn’t need an lot of dts
And it’s perfect for guys like Malik Bryant as and edge guy who’s fast enough to run with rbs in coverage
And I was worried this system wouldn’t work against a big boy team that would just over power them but what they did to notre dame was very impressive
The DL used a lot of Tuff, Bear, 4i technique fronts. Mesidor is a perfect fit as a guy who can play anywhere from the 4i, 5, 7, even standup 9.

You probably don’t want doing the NT responsibilities in a Tuff front, but he has played that as well.

The simulated pressure packages they ran are fairly similar to things Georgia would do. Roman saw them faking blitzes and bringing only 3-4 multiple times.

Personally, I charted them bringing five more often than not on money downs, but just the fact you can find so many different instances on his tape is intriguing and encouraging for me.

It’s not solely that they run fun coverages and disguised fronts, it’s that they’ve had RESULTS. I love potential and upside as much as anyone, but what I really want from Miami players is for them to actually produce in college.

Same thing with the scheme. Don’t care what we run as long as it produces.

Advertisement
It’s a great feeling to believe we will a schematic advantage with our defense. Disguised coverages and different alignments are going to be difficult to plan for.
I’m the past we couldn’t even mention such complicated schemes the the kids we had .
The coaches would look up at podium as see WHAT FACES mouth’s open with saliva drip of ????? then bobble head yeah yeah we good as they look at each other WTF look shrugs.

I’m so excited we will be able to game plan again it will be something very new GREAT NEWS

This time last year we were this excited about the Gattis hire. We all owned it then and applauded Mario for the hire. Today we all disown it and fault Mario for it.

Sorry, I’m not getting excited again about any hire. Not Guidry or any other. Show me in real game on a consistent basis before I get excited. I know. Sounds like the bartered wife syndrome.

As good as Guidry’s scheme looks, what are the draw backs or weaknesses. There must be pros and cons. I’d rather focus on the weaknesses now and try to offer solutions than later when it’s too late.

Advertisement
This time last year we were this excited about the Gattis hire. We all owned it then and applauded Mario for the hire. Today we all disown it and fault Mario for it.

Sorry, I’m not getting excited again about any hire. Not Guidry or any other. Show me in real game on a consistent basis before I get excited. I know. Sounds like the bartered wife syndrome.
I didn’t like the Gattis hire from the get go. He was exactly the type of coordinator we feared Mario was tied to. I hoped against hope that he was willing to alter his scheme to fit the talent because I knew we had no chance to run what he was running at Michigan with our offensive line. All his pre season talk about being flexible and molding his offense to fit the players just gave me “spread coast” vibes. Then I saw the spring game and got scared. By the time we played Southern Miss, I had given up on having a good offense.

As good as Guidry’s scheme looks, what are the draw backs or weaknesses. There must be pros and cons. I’d rather focus on the weaknesses now and try to offer solutions than later when it’s too late.
Wait Mario’s accepting “solutions”?? If so, let’s start with the OC search

I like the Guidry hire and love his system.

However I dont expect a seamless transition. His defense looks like it requires smart and instinctual players in zone.

One consistent thing I've seen from UM football the last 15 years, is that our players are imbeciles and have forest Gump level ontellect when running zone.

I hope they can pick it up. Bc this system seems to make have the ability to make big plays, but leaves certain levels of the defense exposed (which is ok, defenses should take gambles imo)
Let's hope the infusion of new guys helps with the IQ struggles....

Sad Arrested Development GIF

Advertisement
This guy is a stud from everything I've read and the only reason he hasn't had a major job is his "past". One of the podcasts said Ed O wanted to hire him but he had too much baggage at the time.

However I dont expect a seamless transition. His defense looks like it requires smart and instinctual players in zone.

One consistent thing I've seen from UM football the last 15 years, is that our players are imbeciles and have forest Gump level ontellect when running zone.

I hope they can pick it up. Bc this system seems to make have the ability to make big plays, but leaves certain levels of the defense exposed (which is ok, defenses should take gambles imo)
It the kids at Marshall can pick it up I expect kids at UM should have no problem.

Mature transfers should help in the short term. Then it’s on Mario to evaluate and recruit smarter athletes.

Advertisement

Agree with you but it also requires good teachers to make an imbecile and good student. The great ones have the instincts and football iq and just need refining. Can we develope. It's always the question.

Advertisement

It’s unrealistic to think that we have actually recruited less intelligent players than other schools. The “we have dumb players” argument is just one that people make when they are upset about how their team is playing.

My best friend was/is a Chicago Bulls fan. During the Jordan days he used to tell me constantly how “dumb” they were as a team. That team won 6 championships and a fan still called them dumb during their infrequent losses. That told me the “we are dumb” argument is just some nonsense that fans say when they are upset.

I would bet that if you tested the IQ of every college football team in America, at any division, you would find that the average IQ’s are very similar and the difference from “smartest to dumbest” is too small of a difference to change the outcome of games.

And was he ever really allowed to fully run his system?

Bill Young stuck around one season before going back to Oklahoma State where he had ties.

Didn't really have any real time to run his system year two for Randy Shannon.

All great points. We're going to give up some big play's personnel wise but within 2-3 years we're going to give teams fits. Thats all we can ask for, continuity and get the right players for the system which I'm sure we'll do.

Advertisement
Back