SOTG Lance Guidry - Roman Marciante

Advertisement
Advertisement
At the end of the day I’ve watched a lot of football but never played or coached, I shouldn’t know where pressure is coming from and how to attack a defense and that’s how it’s felt for a long time. Maybe not as much this year with Steele but I’m so ready for something different.

Advertisement
I like the Guidry hire and love his system.

However I dont expect a seamless transition. His defense looks like it requires smart and instinctual players in zone.

One consistent thing I've seen from UM football the last 15 years, is that our players are imbeciles and have forest Gump level ontellect when running zone.

I hope they can pick it up. Bc this system seems to make have the ability to make big plays, but leaves certain levels of the defense exposed (which is ok, defenses should take gambles imo)

If you watch Auburn's Defense, from the Steele days, youd see a very similar Defense.

Steele ran a 4-2-5 with LARGE, stand up DEs. I don't know what happened once he got here, but Steele's best defenses lined up the same way.

I wonder if Guidry is planning on bringing in some of HIS players. I know he had a safety follow him to Tulane from Marshall. We need depth, especially in our db room.

It’s a great feeling to believe we will a schematic advantage with our defense. Disguised coverages and different alignments are going to be difficult to plan for.
Screenshot_20230210_193434_DuckDuckGo.png

Last cerebral Xs and Os DC we had was Bill Young and he lasted a year because nothing Randy Shannon did made any sense whatsoever. I’m so sick of low IQ coordinators it goes to show you just how horrible the leadership was in The Gables.

Advertisement

Good stuff Roman.
I Have a question. I always hear the term “putting players in a position to use their athleticism”.
But athleticism has rarely been a problem at Miami. I’ve heard for several years about a lot of our players having really high football IQ. But I just don’t see it on Saturdays.

Do you feel that certain schemes that allegedly simplify the defense are actually more difficult for players who can actually diagnose a play?

Could this the reason why we’ve seen so little communication on the defense the past few years and it improved somewhat last year?

In other words should we be putting players on a scheme where they can better use their football iq instead of just relying on athleticism.

Advertisement
I like the Guidry hire and love his system.

However I dont expect a seamless transition. His defense looks like it requires smart and instinctual players in zone.

One consistent thing I've seen from UM football the last 15 years, is that our players are imbeciles and have forest Gump level ontellect when running zone.

I hope they can pick it up. Bc this system seems to make have the ability to make big plays, but leaves certain levels of the defense exposed (which is ok, defenses should take gambles imo)
Spot on post

I don’t want to put the cart before the horse but it does seem like he can adjust to fit personell instead of forcing the square peg in the round hole

Guys like mesidor is he a stand up edge guy dropping in coverage or is he he one of the dts?
How do you guys see our current players fitting in
In term of position
I think this system is perfect since it doesn’t need an lot of dts
And it’s perfect for guys like Malik Bryant as and edge guy who’s fast enough to run with rbs in coverage
And I was worried this system wouldn’t work against a big boy team that would just over power them but what they did to notre dame was very impressive

Advertisement
Back