SOTG Lance Guidry - Roman Marciante

Just so we're clear...

There is no zone coverage in existence that can prevent one-on-one matchups on the outside.

Cover-2-Read
Cover-3
Cover-4

All (can & will) turn into one-on-one versus vertical routes on the outside. (if that's what the OC is looking for)

Guidry and Steele are doing the same thing on the outside for the most part. It's 'MOD' coverage aka "man on deep" aka man-to-man on anything with a vertical stem.

Where I personally see the difference in scheme is...

Guidry is always looking for a way to bring extra pressure while staying sound on the back end. And when he's not bringing pressure, he's simulating pressure. He seems to be very aggressive but in a calculated manner. (unlike Manny) He won't jeopardize the integrity of his own coverage and "hope" that the OC/QB don't find the vacancy.
Manny loved to do this. He even called it "void zone pressures".

Personally I freakin' love it!
It's the exact approach I like to take on defense with my own unit.
If the offense gives you an opportunity to send an extra rusher, and still be sound on the back end, do it.
Void zone pressure by overloading the QBs blind side and forcing him out of the pocket to the right and the void zone is sitting right in his line of sight where you're intentionally flushing him and making him look.. those were my favorite.

I used to go to Jim Knowles clinics when he was at Duke and Brad White at Kentucky has talked about the same type of thing.. seems blatantly obvious to me.. but if they're going to bring extra pressure and leave something open, they're gonna dial it up to make the QB uncomfortable by forcing a right-handed QB left and leaving an opening to the other side of the field or force him to the boundary side to cover less grass.

When they do that kind of pressure and take that risk it's calculated because they know where the ball is likely going, coach guys to trail and contain and not let the QB turn it around and come back the other direction. Safety nets that Manny had no care for. Not only that, but it was never disguised and it was never calculated by showing pressure and not bringing it a few times and then bringing it when they don't expect it.

Advertisement
It’s unrealistic to think that we have actually recruited less intelligent players than other schools. The “we have dumb players” argument is just one that people make when they are upset about how their team is playing.

My best friend was/is a Chicago Bulls fan. During the Jordan days he used to tell me constantly how “dumb” they were as a team. That team won 6 championships and a fan still called them dumb during their infrequent losses. That told me the “we are dumb” argument is just some nonsense that fans say when they are upset.

I would bet that if you tested the IQ of every college football team in America, at any division, you would find that the average IQ’s are very similar and the difference from “smartest to dumbest” is too small of a difference to change the outcome of games.
BINGO!!! That less intelligent talk is a bunch of bs. Our players go to other schools across the country and do just fine, and we have had countless STUDS from South Florida star for us and in the league. You're right, it's just an excuse. If the system is too complicated then the coaches who get paid millions need to simplify it.

Our kids should have no problem picking up this defense, as it actually looks less complicated than Steele's.

Advertisement
Back