SOTG Lance Guidry - Roman Marciante

It’s unrealistic to think that we have actually recruited less intelligent players than other schools. The “we have dumb players” argument is just one that people make when they are upset about how their team is playing.

My best friend was/is a Chicago Bulls fan. During the Jordan days he used to tell me constantly how “dumb” they were as a team. That team won 6 championships and a fan still called them dumb during their infrequent losses. That told me the “we are dumb” argument is just some nonsense that fans say when they are upset.

I would bet that if you tested the IQ of every college football team in America, at any division, you would find that the average IQ’s are very similar and the difference from “smartest to dumbest” is too small of a difference to change the outcome of games.
I just want to clarify that I added in a very important qualifier at the end, "when they run zone".

I made no comment as to their IQ levels. I'm sure they can all become doctors if they wanted to.

Advertisement
Before y'all get too excited...

Interesting to look at the comments in that video - the Michigan fans were warning us!

Yeah, I remember the Gattis hype video last year and then nothing but vitriol the latter half of this season.

I get that these guys wants views and clicks, but the over-hype when a new coach is hired and then the non-stop bashing when he stumbles out the gate and proves to be the wrong fit... it's exhausting.

I like the Guidry hire. I also liked the old days before there were a zillion Canes fan sites, blogs and podcasts all competing for eyeballs and ears—beleaguering every point non-stop, even in the off-season.

Everybody has to get their hot take in on every topic, ad nauseam.

Marshall had a lot of experience on their D 4-5 year players. We need to mature and improve our tackling and IQ to get the same results. I really hope they can make James Williams into a player.
This could have been designed around Williams. If he gets tough on his tackling he could get a sack on one play and an interception in the flat on the next. It's up to him to buy in.

As good as Guidry’s scheme looks, what are the draw backs or weaknesses. There must be pros and cons. I’d rather focus on the weaknesses now and try to offer solutions than later when it’s too late.
If you get a chance to listen to the podcast DMoney put out, they are in there.

It is risky. If there was no risk to aggression, everyone would dial to 10, right? They’re prone to 1:1 situations on the outside with deep passes and in Match, if you aren’t seeing it the same way as your pass-off defender, you get busted coverages.

Your DB’s have to tackle in this scheme. Sending DB blitzes is a staple of the defense. But that means your force player on the outside is -1 on safety help.

DB’s are charged with flats and tackling quite a bit.

Standing up on the edge lessens your leverage. Think of it this way:

Stand-up makes you a better LINEAR player. Straight line forwards and backwards. Attack gaps, drop into coverage, chase read option gives better.

Hand-down makes you a better LEVERAGE player. Setting an edge. Pinching a pocket. Bull rushing with power. Anchoring a gap inside.

Disguising coverage means a player has to know and understand their landmarks for drops and rules for passing off or where to get if the 1 does ___ or the 2 does ____ or if they switch, does that make 2 become 1, or do I stay deep with the deepest?

We can talk about the downside to any defense all day. If there was any scheme that didn’t have to react to the offense, or wasn’t at mercy of skill and talent of opponent, every program in the world would run it.

Guys like mesidor is he a stand up edge guy dropping in coverage or is he he one of the dts?
How do you guys see our current players fitting in
In term of position
I think this system is perfect since it doesn’t need an lot of dts
And it’s perfect for guys like Malik Bryant as and edge guy who’s fast enough to run with rbs in coverage
And I was worried this system wouldn’t work against a big boy team that would just over power them but what they did to notre dame was very impressive
My biggest question with this scheme was definitely how it would affect the DT's. Otherwise I love it for the db's, linebackers, and any of the tweener types who can rush or drop back into coverage just as easily. At face value hard not to grade the hire any worse than a B+.

Advertisement
Yeah, I remember the Gattis hype video last year and then nothing but vitriol the latter half of this season.

I get that these guys wants views and clicks, but the over-hype when a new coach is hired and then the non-stop bashing when he stumbles out the gate and proves to be the wrong fit... it's exhausting.

I like the Guidry hire. I also liked the old days before there were a zillion Canes fan sites, blogs and podcasts all competing for eyeballs and ears—beleaguering every point non-stop, even in the off-season.

Everybody has to get their hot take in on every topic, ad nauseam.
Appreciate that feedback. You’re not wrong that being a mope on your pod or in your articles doesn’t sell.

I’ve been guilty of this myself on two occasions that stand out.

- in 1996 I was at Missouri State. On defense, so not my coach, but still as a scout player, I was around him a TON. Enos was a complete jerk. Most hated coach of all of them. He was there only one year. Did a great job, truth be told, but also picked the one year they might’ve had their best QB ever (a transfer from Indiana).

I had that personal experience, but chose a happier viewpoint of Enos because his play-action game was great. Here’s the rub, that was before RPO’s and easy buttons (my term for RPO, play-action, motion, read option with a bubble etc.) made it easy for QB’s to produce. I failed to recognize his lack of evolution and made a silly statement that Canes fans should be excited about him. Truth be told, I never really liked the hire in my core because he was just so hated by everyone all those years ago and lasted only one year there.

- The infamous Butler transfer Tommy Kennedy. I watched that film against Youngstown and definitely didn’t give enough credence to a backup DE literally putting him on his back. His lack of strength and on-field competitiveness was glaring. I didn’t discount him enough, and wrote a more glowing report than I felt.

After publishing those two, I went back to trying to simply tell what I feel, even if it isn’t going to be what few listeners I had for my podcast wanted to hear. My pledge to you is I’ll give you the truth as I see it.

That means I’ll be wrong in that direction as well, can’t think of many evaluators who don’t get some wrong, but that’s the chance I’ll take now to be true to myself.

As I see it, Guidry hasn’t been hired by bigger schools because he’s a little nutty, has some legal problems in past that won’t pass a background check at most places, and he isn’t the most marketable to all places. To me, it’s a great hire, that will be better than the brand name SEC guy that we had.

If I’m wrong, people can- and will- remind me of that fact. But at least I won’t be ****ed at myself for not writing what I really felt at the time.

It’s unrealistic to think that we have actually recruited less intelligent players than other schools. The “we have dumb players” argument is just one that people make when they are upset about how their team is playing.

My best friend was/is a Chicago Bulls fan. During the Jordan days he used to tell me constantly how “dumb” they were as a team. That team won 6 championships and a fan still called them dumb during their infrequent losses. That told me the “we are dumb” argument is just some nonsense that fans say when they are upset.

I would bet that if you tested the IQ of every college football team in America, at any division, you would find that the average IQ’s are very similar and the difference from “smartest to dumbest” is too small of a difference to change the outcome of games.
Exactly. There’s always going to be a handful of dumb guys on any team but the idea that our entire roster is just stupider than every other program’s is ridiculous. If a couple guys struggle understanding a scheme, it might be their own fault. If every player struggles with the scheme, it’s the teacher’s (coach) fault.

I love Roman’s breakdowns. Lukewarm take: our defense might struggle a little next year picking up this system but once we get the right LBs/EDGE guys on the roster and they start to pick it up we could be *******.

Appreciate that feedback. You’re not wrong that being a mope on your pod or in your articles doesn’t sell.

- in 1996 I was at Missouri State. On defense, so not my coach, but still as a scout player, I was around him a TON. Enos was a complete jerk. Most hated coach of all of them. He was there only one year. Did a great job, truth be told, but also picked the one year they might’ve had their best QB ever (a transfer from Indiana).

I had that personal experience, but chose a happier viewpoint of Enos because his play-action game was great. Here’s the rub, that was before RPO’s and easy buttons (my term for RPO, play-action, motion, read option with a bubble etc.) made it easy for QB’s to produce. I failed to recognize his lack of evolution and made a silly statement that Canes fans should be excited about him. Truth be told, I never really liked the hire in my core because he was just so hated by everyone all those years ago and lasted only one year there.

- The infamous Butler transfer Tommy Kennedy. I watched that film against Youngstown and definitely didn’t give enough credence to a backup DE literally putting him on his back. His lack of strength and on-field competitiveness was glaring. I didn’t discount him enough, and wrote a more glowing report than I felt.

After publishing those two, I went back to trying to simply tell what I feel, even if it isn’t going to be what few listeners I had for my podcast wanted to hear. My pledge to you is I’ll give you the truth as I see it.

That means I’ll be wrong in that direction as well, can’t think of many evaluators who don’t get some wrong, but that’s the chance I’ll take now to be true to myself.

As I see it, Guidry hasn’t been hired by bigger schools because he’s a little nutty, has some legal problems in past that won’t pass a background check at most places, and he isn’t the most marketable to all places. To me, it’s a great hire, that will be better than the brand name SEC guy that we had.

If I’m wrong, people can- and will- remind me of that fact. But at least I won’t be ****ed at myself for not writing what I really felt at the time.

Can’t say enough how much I respect you putting it out there like that. At the end of the day, this is what I respect the most. Stating how you feel, and letting the chips fall where they may. But of course, in your case, you back it up with facts, statistics and film, which gives it that added benefit. Thank you for posting your insights.

Advertisement
Isn't this very similar to what Steele wanted to run? I recall reading similar things about aggressiveness, creativity, diversity, etc.. A mad scientist who sold out with 7 DBs in mixed fronts to stop Joe Brady / Burrow?

In what ways are these two different, other than the age gap and what the may imply about how hungry they are?

I didn’t like the Gattis hire from the get go. He was exactly the type of coordinator we feared Mario was tied to. I hoped against hope that he was willing to alter his scheme to fit the talent because I knew we had no chance to run what he was running at Michigan with our offensive line. All his pre season talk about being flexible and molding his offense to fit the players just gave me “spread coast” vibes. Then I saw the spring game and got scared. By the time we played Southern Miss, I had given up on having a good offense.

I was willing to overlook the obvious red flags to support Mario. Plus I remember people saying Gattis was a good recruiter. So I bought in. But I still remember having the same exact reaction to his comments on scheme flexibility. Oh boy, are we in for another Dan Enos and the Spread Coast. ... smh, unfortunately it was a bad omen.

Advertisement
They’re prone to 1:1 situations on the outside with deep passes and in Match, if you aren’t seeing it the same way as your pass-off defender, you get busted coverages.

Your DB’s have to tackle in this scheme. Sending DB blitzes is a staple of the defense. But that means your force player on the outside is -1 on safety help.

DB’s are charged with flats and tackling quite a bit.

@Lance Roffers do you think our DBs are disciplined enough and good enough at diagnosing plays to do well under Guidry?

Outside of Kam, I feel like every one of our DBs had multiple missed coverages a game. Kam had a few but was fundamentally sound. The others seemed out of control (DJ Ivey), too weak in coverage or at the point of attack (Couch, Porter) and even reckless (James Williams) at times. Heck, even our round 1 or round 2 guy, Rique, seemed to get burnt multiple times, though that could have been a failure by the cover safety.

@Lance Roffers do you think our DBs are disciplined enough and good enough at diagnosing plays to do well under Guidry?

Outside of Kam, I feel like every one of our DBs had multiple missed coverages a game. Kam had a few but was fundamentally sound. The others seemed out of control (DJ Ivey), too weak in coverage or at the point of attack (Couch, Porter) and even reckless (James Williams) at times. Heck, even our round 1 or round 2 guy, Rique, seemed to get burnt multiple times, though that could have been a failure by the cover safety.
I think this scheme will make things easier for them, honestly. It’s just learning the rules and landmarks. Where I think it’ll be harder is on the LB’s as they will be part of the simulated pressure packages and will have to get to their landmarks after faking coverage and still find their gap in run defense.

I think we better figure out a way to score points offensively unless some kids make a serious leap on defense.

Advertisement
Just so we're clear...

There is no zone coverage in existence that can prevent one-on-one matchups on the outside.

Cover-2-Read
Cover-3
Cover-4

All (can & will) turn into one-on-one versus vertical routes on the outside. (if that's what the OC is looking for)

Guidry and Steele are doing the same thing on the outside for the most part. It's 'MOD' coverage aka "man on deep" aka man-to-man on anything with a vertical stem.

Where I personally see the difference in scheme is...

Guidry is always looking for a way to bring extra pressure while staying sound on the back end. And when he's not bringing pressure, he's simulating pressure. He seems to be very aggressive but in a calculated manner. (unlike Manny) He won't jeopardize the integrity of his own coverage and "hope" that the OC/QB don't find the vacancy.
Manny loved to do this. He even called it "void zone pressures".

Personally I freakin' love it!
It's the exact approach I like to take on defense with my own unit.
If the offense gives you an opportunity to send an extra rusher, and still be sound on the back end, do it.

As I see it, Guidry hasn’t been hired by bigger schools because he’s a little nutty, has some legal problems in past that won’t pass a background check at most places,

Just so we're clear...

There is no zone coverage in existence that can prevent one-on-one matchups on the outside.

Cover-2-Read
Cover-3
Cover-4

All (can & will) turn into one-on-one versus vertical routes on the outside. (if that's what the OC is looking for)

Guidry and Steele are doing the same thing on the outside for the most part. It's 'MOD' coverage aka "man on deep" aka man-to-man on anything with a vertical stem.

Where I personally see the difference in scheme is...

Guidry is always looking for a way to bring extra pressure while staying sound on the back end. And when he's not bringing pressure, he's simulating pressure. He seems to be very aggressive but in a calculated manner. (unlike Manny) He won't jeopardize the integrity of his own coverage and "hope" that the OC/QB don't find the vacancy.
Manny loved to do this. He even called it "void zone pressures".

Personally I freakin' love it!
It's the exact approach I like to take on defense with my own unit.
If the offense gives you an opportunity to send an extra rusher, and still be sound on the back end, do it.
“Void zone pressures” got me cryin bruh😂😂😂 Dawg gotta stay off madden

As good as Guidry’s scheme looks, what are the draw backs or weaknesses. There must be pros and cons. I’d rather focus on the weaknesses now and try to offer solutions than later when it’s too late.
Big plays due to aggressiveness. But he didn’t have many with Marshall probably due to intelligent players who understood their jobs and tackling. 2 things we didn’t have last year

Advertisement
Back