Some thoughts on UNC loss

Advertisement
Jaquan Johnson was a tackler, not a hitter, and he is playing on Monday Night Football tonight without half of the Williams Brothers' talent.

This is the one. I truly, truly am completely confused, flabbergasted, flummoxed....the most shocked adjective you can find about the total and utter regression with the older kids on this team. And miss me with only blaming Manny. That's so ridiculously short-sighted. Manny's defense is the same one that Quan Johnson flourished in. But as you said, he was a tackler. He was solid. He never missed an assignment. So why couldn't Carter figure it out? Why are Hall and Bolden worse today than they were at this time last year? It's not because Manny forgot how to coach. It's just something so incredibly odd, again I simply cannot wrap my mind around it.

Quan and Sheldrick have been collecting NFL checks with half the measurables of the kids I mentioned, and less than half of the Williams' or even Kinchens. Nothing they do athletically is elite. Yet, they're pros. Gurvan Hall is about to be going pro in catering. Why? And for someone like Bolden, isn't not like he's always sucked, the first half of last year he was a heat seeking missile, now he's completely invisible in games. What the **** happened to these kids?
Jaquan was one of the best safeties that UM has had in the last 10 years, and he didn’t have much talent at all. Football is 50% mental. I saw him play in high school at Killian, and his defenses along with Redwine were outstanding. Killian shut people down. Redwine played corner in high school and in his first year or two at UM while Jaquan was a backup his first two years, but i knew that when Jaquan hit the field, he would be outstanding.

I have big hope for James and Avante Williams, as well as Karmron Kitchens. Under the right coaches, we will be set at safety moving forward.

Jaquan Johnson was a tackler, not a hitter, and he is playing on Monday Night Football tonight without half of the Williams Brothers' talent.

This is the one. I truly, truly am completely confused, flabbergasted, flummoxed....the most shocked adjective you can find about the total and utter regression with the older kids on this team. And miss me with only blaming Manny. That's so ridiculously short-sighted. Manny's defense is the same one that Quan Johnson flourished in. But as you said, he was a tackler. He was solid. He never missed an assignment. So why couldn't Carter figure it out? Why are Hall and Bolden worse today than they were at this time last year? It's not because Manny forgot how to coach. It's just something so incredibly odd, again I simply cannot wrap my mind around it.

Quan and Sheldrick have been collecting NFL checks with half the measurables of the kids I mentioned, and less than half of the Williams' or even Kinchens. Nothing they do athletically is elite. Yet, they're pros. Gurvan Hall is about to be going pro in catering. Why? And for someone like Bolden, isn't not like he's always sucked, the first half of last year he was a heat seeking missile, now he's completely invisible in games. What the **** happened to these kids?
I actually think it is on Manny, if it is true that they barely practice tacking then there is the direct correlation why we're so bad in that category. CMR had these guys doing Big Cane Drills(Oklahoma Drills) including the QB's, so he was practicing toughness and throughout his time here we consistently had good tackling defenses.

Advertisement
***** hilarious. Guy is caught from behind a ton of ******* times and can’t make a move in the open field but he’s “fast”. What kind of drugs do y’all take on a daily basis?
Now your just lying, lol at get caught from behind

Thanks D$. Always appreciated. Unfortunately for me, I've lost the fire as a fan for the season. It's an abomination with no positivity in sight, i.e. the dismissal of Blake James is a absolute must and should come before the firing of the HC in my opinion. Your comment regarding "selling the program" is of utmost importance and with James still in the picture, well I'm afraid not much will change.

Hope I'm so wrong. What James, the Prez and BOT have done is a travesty. They have single handedly destroyed an iconic brand. To rise from the dark depths of destruction will be nothing short of miracle that as fans we can only hope for. As it is, HOPE is the only thing we have left I'm afraid.
QFT!!! James head should be the first to roll with Strawley walking to guillotine next.. CLEAN ******* HOUSE as far up the chain as possible.. I know bot cant be replaced but they should!! This neglect is disgusting.. The destroying of this program should be the next doc special of the incompetence of the university admin with Kirk speech from a couple weekends ago as opening dialogue..

FML, how do these guys still have jobs?! Are they hoping that they can win a couple games and get heat off them and nobody relaize they are just trying to steal ACC checks while not investing in program like a big time football program

Advertisement
You’re the dumbass for calling a kid that ran 4.7 at camps in HS fast. Log out and stop commenting

Man Cam Harris is a senior my dude. He’s not in High School anymore.

You can say many things about Cam. Maybe his vision at RB is poor. Average quickness. Lateral movement is subpar. Slow is not one of them.

Have you not seen this dude when he gets a hole and hits it? **** is mad fast. I’ve never seen him get caught from behind

Manny wasn’t the one running practice when Jaquan was here.

When ALL your players struggle at the same thing regardless of recruiting projections, the flaw is in the system training them.

Jaquan was in Richt’s system, not Manny’s.

Advertisement
I agree it has to be something. But I just said in another thread, Quan never missed a tackle. The DC is the same guy. Why was he so solid and the current kids so bad? Bandy was a good tackler his first year or two as a 5'3 145 pounder. Now we don't have anyone who can tackle anybody? Is it really possible that the entire fundamentals have changed from when he got here to now?

Maybe.

But @Poopscoop has alluded to a situation where there is too much focus on technique and not enough on simulation if I understood him correctly.

You drill and drill. But you never really go live and your scout teams are built with too many 3rd stringers and walk ons because you are overly concerned with injury risk. So what happens? Your players are not used to facing starter level athletic ability and have not practiced finishing plays at game like speeds. Result? You look like the Bad News Bears of football. When the game is too fast, players try to compensate and that compensation leads to terrible head scratching plays because they abandoned their training. Proverbial having a plan til you get punched in the mouth.

This is just the physical part. We haven’t even gotten into the DEVASTATING effects of Manny’s lack of authentic leadership traits the unconsciously( and sometimes consciously) create a psychological and emotional environment that is **** near impossible for most players to overcome. People WAAAAAY underestimate the synergy and psychology that goes into playing well.

Manny wasn’t the one running practice when Jaquan was here.

When ALL your players struggle at the same thing regardless of recruiting projections, the flaw is in the system training them.

Jaquan was in Richt’s system, not Manny’s.

Nobody has been able to provide any definitive answers on the differences in practice from then until now. It's all message board nonsense where we assume Manny must be running some country club atmosphere. The results certainly would confirm that, but does anybody actually know? Hard to say since practices are closed. But I would be very interested to know the differences in practice between 2018 and 2021. In 2018, we had the best defense in the country in several statistical categories. Now, 3 years later, with the same dude running the defense, it's terrible.

What are the differences? How can it go from what we saw in 2018 to what we're seeing today? Rhetorical, I know, since nobody can really answer the question. I'm just so curious in knowing how we can go from that to this. I simply cannot fathom that Manny Diaz has had a lobotomy that nobody reported. So what is it?

Imagine having your job on the line and not playing your best player because of “conditioning.” Jesus Christ.

"That guy's really good, but I don't play him very much so I'm worried about his conditioning from me not playing him very much."

Advertisement
Our offense scored 35 pts. 42 pts as a team. No reason we should lose a game were we drop 42 on the opponent.
Just shows how straight up garbage out defense is.
The defense HAS NOT been good enough. Period. With that said, last 2 games they have been on the field way too much because TVD has sucked in the first half, and the offense has been absolute garbage against 2 bad defenses. On the flip side the defense has had to stay on the field against 2 high scoring top 20 nationally ranked offenses, with 2 of the better QBs in the country a majority of the first half's of these games.

When the offense starts moving the ball the defense starts playing better. They also had 2 short field scores.

UNC had 12 plays for 33 yards and scored 10 points off TVD's INT's. The defense needs the offense to move the ball better. Play a little complimentary football. Through the first 6 games this year, the offense has faced 1 good defense in Alabama, and the rest pretty much garbage defenses. The defense has faced several good offenses with some really good QB's.

-6TH, 12TH, 19TH, 27TH are top 4 offenses Miami has faced this year ranked nationally in total offense.
-17th, 66th, 67th, 87th are the top 4 defenses Miami has faced this year ranked nationally in total defense.

UNC:
1st drive-3 plays/1 yard
2nd drive-8 plays/48 yards
3rd drive-3 plays/3 yards
4th drive-4 plays/11 yards-INTERCEPTION

UVA:
1st drive- 3 plays/5 yards
2nd drive- 3 plays/6 yards
3rd drive-1 play -1 yard-SAFETY
4th drive-4 plays/13 yards

Great wright up. On TVD.. Its a stretch but I see a lot similarities to him and Josh Allen. Both are big guys with huge arms. Josh arm is unreal. The issue is they both depend on their arms to much sometimes and lose fundamentals. Both will stand still and throw off balance because of the arm strength to do so.

TVD needs to get his feet under him a little more and step into his throws on a more consistent basis. Allen was real bad with this his first year in Buffalo but has gotten tons better. I feel with coaching TVD can do the same. This will help his accuracy as well. I live in Buffalo so I see Allen every week and I see a lot of TVD in him. From a throwing perspective, Allen is more athletic but TVD is no slouch.

JHH is by far our best DL and is only getting better. Keep him on the field until you cant. Same with the other top guys. Everyone is trying to rotate on the DL and I get that but keep your best LB's and secondary in there as much as you can. We have been rotating to much for to long.

Maybe.

But @Poopscoop has alluded to a situation where there is too much focus on technique and not enough on simulation if I understood him correctly.

You drill and drill. But you never really go live and your scout teams are built with too many 3rd stringers and walk ons because you are overly concerned with injury risk. So what happens? Your players are not used to facing starter level athletic ability and have not practiced finishing plays at game like speeds. Result? You look like the Bad News Bears of football. When the game is too fast, players try to compensate and that compensation leads to terrible head scratching plays because they abandoned their training. Proverbial having a plan til you get punched in the mouth.

This is just the physical part. We haven’t even gotten into the DEVASTATING effects of Manny’s lack of authentic leadership traits the unconsciously( and sometimes consciously) create a psychological and emotional environment that is **** near impossible for most players to overcome. People WAAAAAY underestimate the synergy and psychology that goes into playing well.
This x 100000000

Advertisement
Back