Some thoughts on the NC State game

TVD did a much better job this past game… the only thing that would upset is at times he got happy feet. He would have time then take a sack bc he started scrambling around in the pocket. He is talented and it was definitely nice to see him finally let it rip Saturday night.

Advertisement
People need to remember that this is only the kids 4th start ever. And if we are being honest, he should be 4-0 and the narratives wouldnt be to fire Diaz it would be were we too loyal to King knowing he wasnt 100% healthy.

Call me crazy but TVD looks like he could really turn the corner if he can have a great game against Pitt. Sports is all about confidence and the "light turning on" for players. If the light indeed turns on for TVD, it would be insane if he were to save Mannys job by winning out. (I know I know its not happening but there is nobody left on our schedule that we should be absolutely afraid of so anything could happen with this team)

And yes, I still want Manny fired but winning out doesnt make it a foregone conclusion for the administration anymore IMO.

They were and I'm sure had They gone SEC route they'd have actually developed
Didnt think this needed to be said but there are 5* busts or even guys who didnt live up to their hype at Bama, UGA, etc too, ya know? Countless.

Trevon Diggs wasnt half the player he is now for the Cowboys that he was at Bama or he would have been a top 5 pick. Was that Bama not developing him? We giving Saban a low grade for not developing him properly?

Advertisement
Not going to call you out since you’ve given us great info and been right on 90% of things but you said few weeks ago the team has checked out and will fold

Clearly some guys have checked out like Bolden, Ivey but is the addition of adding the younger guys that have the team actually fighting every game
I did.

You see a lot of new faces playing too since then. I also said MD’s only chance was playing young guys and hoping for a miracle.

Advertisement
Didnt think this needed to be said but there are 5* busts or even guys who didnt live up to their hype at Bama, UGA, etc too, ya know? Countless.

Trevon Diggs wasnt half the player he is now for the Cowboys that he was at Bama or he would have been a top 5 pick. Was that Bama not developing him? We giving Saban a low grade for not developing him properly?
Diggs still isnt. Gets burned a lot.

So I saw dunson got some playtime. What was that all about? And what do we think about him long term ?
I barely saw him but he's not super fast. Got absolutely torched multiple times. I'm assuming he should be up at the line jamming the receivers but Miami obviously doesn't do that (which is stupid).

Hopefully, he bounces back next game. He's barely played so it is what it is.

This team deserved the win. It doesn’t change much in the big picture, but this was the first fun football Saturday all year. Some specific thoughts:

- This win was huge for TVD’s confidence and the confidence of his teammates. It’s telling that Mike Harley and Nesta Silvera made a beeline to him right when the game ended. He backed up his words.

- In terms of TVD’s game, there is progress every week. The biggest thing to me is that he’s getting more comfortable as an athlete. On 3rd and 4 on the last scoring drive, he easily picked up a bad snap and fired a bullet to Rambo in one smooth motion. Everything he does looks more confident and twitchy than earlier in the season. His baseball background allows him to get off throws from weird angles with defenders in his face, as we saw on the first two TDs. He also has the ability to change speeds depending on the throw. He looks like a kid who competed in multiple sports without a personal QB tutor. That untapped potential makes the upside exciting.

- TVD seems to have the mindset to maximize his physical traits. He competes and works hard. He told Don Bailey that he wanted to stop sliding on his runs. It’s scary right now because we have no backup, but TVD is realizing that he’s bigger and stronger than ACC defenders. Let’s hope he breaks the recent trend of Miami QB regressions, because he has next-level tools.

- This still does not look like a well-coached team. False starts to open drives, bad timeouts, selfish penalties, special teams miscues. The team looked lost in the four-minute drill and it almost cost them the game. All that said, they play hard and seem to care about each other.

- I compared him to Kurt Angle last week, but after seeing him live, there is no question that James Williams would be an elite professional wrestler. He is suplexing dudes and launching them into the air with shoulderblocks. When he gets knocked on blitz pickup, he sells it like Shawn Michaels. In between every play- and this means EVERY play- he is either lifting his arms in front of the crowd or trying to fight the other team. His energy is contagious and he is a freak talent. He reminds me of a bigger Derwin James.

- You can see the difference between Georgia-type physicality (JW and Tyrique) and the rest of the roster. We are still underwhelming in the back 7. Kam Kinchens is a bright spot. He gives us consistent tackling we haven’t had at safety since 2018. Avantae Williams played a bit on third down. We didn’t think we’d ever see him in a Canes uniform, so that was a nice moment. In retrospect, Ephraim Banda did a strong job recruiting and coaching safeties.

- Waynmon Steed played maybe his best game as a Hurricane. He was active and closed on some key tackles. He has dealt with a lot of adversity and shown character. Happy to see him rewarded with success.

- We seemed to play a more deliberate pace on offense. Wonder if this is just until TVD gets more experience or if it’s a lasting change.

- The program hasn’t been good in short-yardage since Damien Berry. When you watch winning teams on Saturday, they have the ability to dictate the game up front. Part of the solution might be relying on your 230-pound QB and RBs instead of 190-pound Rooster.

- Charleston Rambo has elevated the WR room. Harley was King’s main target in practice, but Rambo has taken over as the clear top guy. He is catching it more consistently and has a nice connection with TVD. Overall, the WR group is much improved from last year.

The writing is on the wall with the coaching situation. In the meantime, I hope the players enjoy some wins. Go Canes.
Great write up D$. On defense the safety trio of A.Williams, J.Williams and Kamren Kinchens is going to be or should be elite. You can clearly see the type talent that those 3 have. The only thing they lack is experience. The real mess in this secondary is at CB. The group as a whole is underwhelming. Tyrique Stevenson has been a great addition who has elite physicality and plays as hard as anyone. I can't help but think that Rique would be better at safety. TeCory Couch is best suited to be a nickel corner playing over the slot predominantly. Playing on the outside has made it much easier for opposing OCs to expose him. DJ. Ivey has been a liability for 3 years and finally got benched. Marcus Clarke and Isaiah Dunson have potential to be solid players with Clarke having the most upside as a nickel CB. The problem is that they are young without much experience and need to be much more developed in order to be meaningful contributors. What's worse is that there is zero depth behind them outside true freshman Malik Curtis. The problems at CB are compounded by the safeties lack of experience. Despite their tremendous talent and upside, they are still true freshmen. We need a massive infusion of legit talent at CB.

Our DL as a whole has been a big disappointment in terms of rushing the passer. The DEs are the weak link here as we can't seem to win many one on one matchups with opposing tackles. The interior is solid with JHH, LT and Silvera but sorely lacks quality depth. Overall the DL has improved against the run but its clear we need to recruit much better in order to get this DL up to a dominant level.

At linebacker the problems have been well documented. We need to give the young kids playing time and the live reps that they need to develop. Tirek Cave, Chase Smith and Avery Huff need to play. When Sam Brooks is healthy then he needs to play as well. Jennings needs to be on the bench for the rest of his time in Miami.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
People need to remember that this is only the kids 4th start ever. And if we are being honest, he should be 4-0 and the narratives wouldnt be to fire Diaz it would be were we too loyal to King knowing he wasnt 100% healthy.

Call me crazy but TVD looks like he could really turn the corner if he can have a great game against Pitt. Sports is all about confidence and the "light turning on" for players. If the light indeed turns on for TVD, it would be insane if he were to save Mannys job by winning out. (I know I know its not happening but there is nobody left on our schedule that we should be absolutely afraid of so anything could happen with this team)

And yes, I still want Manny fired but winning out doesnt make it a foregone conclusion for the administration anymore IMO.
I want him to play well but at the same time want Manny gone.

I did.

You see a lot of new faces playing too since then. I also said MD’s only chance was playing young guys and hoping for a miracle.
Which is why I wanted him fired after the UNC game. There was always a chance he was going to play the younger (far) more talented players and they'd **** around and win some games.

Fingers crossed the wheels are already in motion and this isn't giving the BOT pause for thought.

Great write up D$. On defense the safety trio of A.Williams, J.Williams and Kamren Kinchens is going to be or should be elite. You can clearly see the type talent that those 3 have. The only thing they lack is experience. The real mess in this secondary is at CB. The group as a whole is underwhelming. Tyrique Stevenson has been a great addition who has elite physicality and plays as hard as anyone. I can't help but think that Rique would be better at safety. TeCory Couch is best suited to be a nickel corner playing over the slot predominantly. Playing on the outside has made it much easier for opposing OCs to expose him. DJ. Ivey has been a liability for 3 years and finally got benched. Marcus Clarke and Isaiah Dunson have potential to be solid players with Clarke having the most upside as a nickel CB. The problem is that they are young without much experience and need to be much more developed in order to be meaningful contributors. What's worse is that there is zero depth behind them outside true £ Malik Curtis. The problems at CB are compounded by the
Your leaving me on a cliffhanger bro!

THE WHAT?…

Advertisement
Back