Some ridiculous Ward numbers

Line has already moved 4 pts (Gaytor - 1.5 to Gaytor +2.5) and probably a few more pts when August comes around.

Mario better not F this up. A legit NFL QB that if all goes to plan (let Dawson actually call the plays), team is in the ACCCG. Maybe the playoffs with a little bit of luck...and If Mario reverts to his 3 yds and cloud of dust up the middle calls, well, good ole' Luke will probably be committing to another team come December...so this not just about the 24 season, but the 25 and 26 seasons stacking QB talent.

This coming season is either the next giant step forward or the proverbial 'we suck again' mantra.

When the plays work, Dawson called them. When they don’t, Mario called them. I will never, ever quit this place.

Advertisement
I don’t really like the comparisons we do around here in general but Cam actually reminds me a lot of King

Not a direct comparison of size and measurables of course, but the way he leads his team, the intangibles I’ve seen, the Alpha presence he brings, the command of the game in general. It’s like a feel watching guys like it

Hes just got more physical tools than King but we’ve needed that presence back there
He's a far more complete package than d eriq was. His limitations were on several things in the passing game. He relied on his athletic abilities to bring it all together. It's why when lashlee and Mandy got him hurt and kept throwing him to the wolves, it all fell apart so quickly. Cam on the other hand as @Memnon noted is a pure passer. The kid is the level of gifted that we haven't seen here in a long while from a passing perspective. His one flaw was as a runner he needs to protect the ball far better. But when you're asked to do everything and you're not surrounded by much things like fumbles can and will happen. The entire defense keyed on him weekly and he still did his thing.

D eriq was a beast here in year 1. That's what we need out of cam. Get us that bridge year for the rest of the room and hopefully transitioning into poff in 25 and cool hand Luke from 26 on.

SmartSelect_20240114_123628_Chrome.jpg
SmartSelect_20240114_123744_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When the plays work, Dawson called them. When they don’t, Mario called them. I will never, ever quit this place.
Gotta love the never ending bar right. When Tyler was showing out Dawson was amazing. Soon as Tyler fell back into his ways against comp, its ****** Mario is Killin us and Dawson is sick and tired of being micromanaged. **** never gets old around here.

He's a far more complete package than d eriq was. His limitations were on several things in the passing game. He relied on his athletic abilities to bring it all together. It's why when lashlee and Mandy got him hurt and kept throwing him to the wolves, it all fell apart so quickly. Cam on the other hand as @Memnon noted is a pure passer. The kid is the level of gifted that we haven't seen here in a long while from a passing perspective. His one flaw was as a runner he needs to protect the ball far better. But when you're asked to do everything and you're not surrounded by much things like fumbles can and will happen. The entire defense keyed on him weekly and he still did his thing.

D eriq was a beast here in year 1. That's what we need out of cam. Get us that bridge year for the rest of the room and hopefully transitioning into poff in 25 and cool hand Luke from 26 on.
You skipped over Emory, Judd and Jacurri 👀.

You skipped over Emory, Judd and Jacurri 👀.
You noticed that too I see. I'll say Emory will compete in 25 but I think with a year in the system poff may be tough to beat for them. I doubt jacurri is on the team THIS season let alone in 25. Judd I feel like will just need way too much time to develop to play at this level when you factor in if nickel sticks that kid is the real deal.

Advertisement
People really don't understand how talented of a pure passer this kid is...
People acting like any QB in the portal was anywhere near his caliber drove me insane, and using his fumble stats was a clear indicator that they didn’t watch his games to see how bad his o-line was. What he did with that roster is nuts.

Said it in another thread a few days ago, but based on the talent composite he literally was on a G5 squad playing in one of the best conferences in football this season and finished 4th in the nation in passing yards per game.

You noticed that too I see. I'll say Emory will compete in 25 but I think with a year in the system poff may be tough to beat for them. I doubt jacurri is on the team THIS season let alone in 25. Judd I feel like will just need way too much time to develop to play at this level when you factor in if nickel sticks that kid is the real deal.
Well I have no arguments. For the first time I see competition so I'm at bay. Next will be elevating that competition but that's an argument for tomorrow.

Oh for sure not comparing their skill sets, it’s very different

Was commenting how he reminds me of King in his demeanor and command of the game. We haven’t had that in forever it seems

The intangibles so to speak

Advertisement
I commented this in another thread so apologies for the duplicate, but it was such a crazy set of stats I thought it warranted its own post. Mods if you disagree feel free to delete/merge:

Ward was sacked 39 times in 2023. Wazzu gave up 3.5 sacks per game, good for 123rd in FBS. Now here's the fun part - statistically, Ward was the same QB or better under duress. Dude got sacked 6 times v Oregon and threw for 430 yards. 6 times v Cal and threw for 354 and 3 TDs.

Now in the rare instances Wazzu actually did give him time? Sacked once v Oregon St. and threw for 400 yards and 4 TDs at an 82.4% completion. In fact the only game he was never sacked was Northern Colorado and he threw 4 TDs at 72% completion, ran for another, and threw for 325 yards IN THE FIRST HALF.

Under pressure he was a star. With time he was otherworldly. Another poster described him as the "anti TVD" and I think that's a great analogy.
Our skill players are going to have to put in some serious work, because they will be getting a lot of balls thrown their way. A QB like this can make everyone around them look better, IF they put in the work.

Looking forward to spring ball.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m a little worried that he:
Holds the ball low when he drops back, and holds the ball a long time, which probably contributes to the high fumble numbers, but also where he seems to make big plays.
My question to the QB gurus is whether they are concerned about these 2 factors Or if I am making too much of this.
@RedSquare

Cornerback too?
Yes and no. Cornerback is a position that relies on the depth of the defensive front. It's why Mandy never prioritized the position because he knew with enough pressure it makes the cb position alot easier to do. Unless you get ELITE people over there the safety will take on a far bigger priority in most defenses. It's when you have a defense that struggles to get pressure where you see the cornerback position get exposed far more often than not. Even when they're higher grades. It's why I said health and depth on the line and safeties stepping up. I think zaquan may start by mid season at worst with what we have in the room now. That kid is an alpha.

Advertisement
Back