Some quick scrimmage notes

Advertisement
Let's not rule out running backs getting a ton of receptions. Dawson has had at least one running back with 20 catches pretty much every year going back to his time at Southern Miss. Mark Fletcher is a very fluid receiver with soft hands, especially for a big guy.

Fun with Math

Assuming we complete about the same number of passes from last season- that's about 260 completions.

Here was the distribution

WR about 160 catches
TE about 60 catches
RB about 40 catches

You might expect something like this for 2023 with injuries tipping the scales one way or the other for the WR group

Restrepo 40
Young 40
George 26
Harrell 15
B Smith 12
Ladson 10
Joseph 10
Redding 10
Horton 5

Advertisement
I’ll post more and we will have a live stream later today, but wanted to post a couple nuggets I’ve heard before I head to the gym:

Thanks for the update sir...you and Ariz have fun at the gym.

5nvoyk (1).gif

I’d agree 60 receptions is rare at UM since we’ve been pro style for the last 50 years..

But at other schools 60 seems like light work. I understand we don’t have a true number 1 but there dudes eclipsing 100 recs

67 guys did it last year across college football. None of them averaged even 19 ypc.

Predicting a UM WR -- who is maybe WR4 on the depth chart -- with 22 career catches through 5 injury-riddled seasons to have a 60+ catch, 20+ ypc season while Mario Cristobal is the HC is crazy bananas.

Advertisement
Let's not rule out running backs getting a ton of receptions. Dawson has had at least one running back with 20 catches pretty much every year going back to his time at Southern Miss. Mark Fletcher is a very fluid receiver with soft hands, especially for a big guy.
Really hope we use chris johnson here, or even brashard..i think he’s getting overlooked

Advertisement
67 guys did it last year across college football. None of them averaged even 19 ypc.

Predicting a UM WR -- who is maybe WR4 on the depth chart -- with 22 career catches through 5 injury-riddled seasons to have a 60+ catch, 20+ ypc season while Mario Cristobal is the HC is crazy bananas.
lol you do know where you are right?

Advertisement
I think he breaks out this year . If I were guessing I’d say in the 30’s - 40’s for catches. X is just such an advantage in the slot. Hard to defend or get your hands on a cagey slot wr that runs great routes. I think him and Arroyo will be a problem in the middle of the field. That’s what makes Harrell over the top and jump balls to CY so intriguing. I don’t think we have a “ dude “ but we have a mixture of guys that bring their own strength to the room. George being the most balanced.
WR room has great diversity where they all add different dynamics to the O

Fun with Math

Assuming we complete about the same number of passes from last season- that's about 260 completions.

Here was the distribution

WR about 160 catches
TE about 60 catches
RB about 40 catches

You might expect something like this for 2023 with injuries tipping the scales one way or the other for the WR group

Restrepo 40
Young 40
George 26
Harrell 15
B Smith 12
Ladson 10
Joseph 10
Redding 10
Horton 5
Smith had 33 last year so you think he drops all the way to 12?

Advertisement
Back