Some post-game thoughts

Sorry, 44 rushing attempts to 29 is indeed being pushed around. As long as Richt continues to run the ball so seldom it won't particularly matter about the personnel. We won't win anything of consequence while running 30 or 32 times per game on average. I'll continue to push that theme, same as the necessity of premier defensive tackles and premier pass defense, which is largely enabled by premier defensive tackles. I don't rely on overreaction or short term. I have NCAA and NFL stats dating to Excel spreadsheets dating to 1978. The online sources generally retreat only to 1983. I grabbed record books from Gamblers Book Club as soon as I arrived in Las Vegas in 1984.

That pass rush won't get there on third down when the opponent has patiently created third and 4 by pounding two consecutive 3 yard runs on first and second down. Those short rushing gains are gorgeous plays, controlling plays. Meanwhile we break off one long wildcat run which inflates the yards per carry but does absolutely nothing to wear down Wisconsin. It annoys them more than anything else.

The game last night was an excellent reference point toward where we truly stand. The Notre Dame game was an inflated version of our worth. That opponent was not rated highly in preseason. Plenty of fraud and upstart qualities. Home in prime time. Clemson was not a great barometer either. As I've posted for years, when a surprise unbeaten team loses for the first time deep in the season, the next game is almost always a severe flop. Nobody wants to believe that, in preference to the bounce back high-energy nonsense. Meanwhile, the team is not that great to begin with, yet has devoted so much physical and mental energy to winning one close and/or unlikely game after another that there's simply nowhere to go but splat, unless that next opponent is simply terrible. Same thing happened several years ago when we were 7-0 before losing at Florida State. Virginia Tech as 7 point underdog kicked our rear the following week.

Let's put it this way...when the Las Vegas sharps push a pointspread from -7.5 to -13.5 among two high profile teams like Miami and Clemson, that is due to situational understanding. That's all it is. They are picking on a team they know is not likely to be anywhere near its best, even if the mainstream sports media is clueless toward the terrain.

We were athletic and eager last night. Athletes all over the field. Roster logically destined to improve. Even the supposed weak link like Feagles dominated his matchup with the opposing punter.

Wisconsin owned the superior offensive design. The Badgers seamlessly shifted between snaps from center and shotgun. Never frantically looking around wondering what to do. Power runs blended with sophisticated route trees. Versatile use of the pro style tight end. They even used sporadic snaps from empty formation, which is not ideal for a quarterback of that caliber but they were doing it in favorable down and distance instead of forcing it on third and long.

As a Canes fan I shouldn't be envious of a Wisconsin offensive approach. But it was impossible not to be there last night. Their offensive style enables the Badgers to play beyond their ability level. Meanwhile Richt obviously became mesmerized by the RPO during his final years at Georgia and was determined to abuse it once he got his hands on the play calling again. I don't like it. Too much pressure on one kid to make perfect split second decisions and execution. It's rare to have fleet feet along with ideal timing and touch.

Oh yeah, the uniforms absolutely sucked. That defeat was deserved by those uniforms. Every time I saw the red-clad celebrating Wisconsin fans in the stands I was thinking how confident they looked in their traditional garb, while the pathetic Canes were scrambling to pretend they needed an artificial boost with some type of gimmick uniforms.

That uniform choice alone showed how far away we are, and how beholden we are to fear.

I am not impressed with a comparison to 2009 Alabama. Anybody can find the most favorable outlier available. That has been a weak tendency on this forum in general. The reason I use stuff like passing defense and rushing attempts is because it holds true much more often than not. Steal a vital few percent in one category after another and we have a chance to find that elite tier again. If we betray the foundational aspects and think we can be our own example then we're destined to remain near the current level.

Once again you bring the painful truth. I remember the days at Cs you'd **** me off with these paragraphs of hurt.

I'm on board until the uniform talk , that's silly and has nothing to do with the game. Stick with the football.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Translation is that we got out coached AGAIN

Not sure why you are getting down voted.

D$ says it in his post. Chryst offense outschemed Diaz and ours didn’t do the same.

We need to get better in all 3 phases. STs coaching is horrific.

What he said is that we have some glaring weaknesses that opponents have been able to exploit. We're bad enough at a few positions that coaching can't mask it. Not Richt's fault at this point, we just need better guys.

And we don’t exploit other teams glaring weaknesses.

People can’t have it both ways. Couldn’t compete with Clemson bc they recruit better then us. Can’t beat Pitt and WI, why? We recruit better then them.

Pitt was execution. QB didn't make any throws and the OL couldn't run block. Very hard to rate play calling when the QB can't make any throws.

Clemson is just a better team because of recruiting and that's why they won. It getting out of hand is about focus and execution and I'd put some of that on coaching, some on immaturity, and some was the same as Pit.

WI was again about execution, but this time mostly QB as I think the OL did a decent job on O and DL not getting home exposing weakness in the secondary. I'll blame the coaches and immaturity again for the team not getting their collective head out of their ***.

So yes, coaching plays a roll in motivation and gameplanning, but I put most of the blame on guys not being able to do their jobs consistently.

Translation is that we got out coached AGAIN

Not sure why you are getting down voted.

D$ says it in his post. Chryst offense outschemed Diaz and ours didn’t do the same.

We need to get better in all 3 phases. STs coaching is horrific.

What he said is that we have some glaring weaknesses that opponents have been able to exploit. We're bad enough at a few positions that coaching can't mask it. Not Richt's fault at this point, we just need better guys.

Read it again.

Read it again. I see what you're saying, but don't agree with you saying it's all one thing. And say it is, then what? Fire Richt? Force him to bring in an OC that he obviously doesn't want?

My point is that our BIGGEST problems are about talent and executing what's asked of them. I'm not saying the coaches couldn't do better, only that they did enough to win if Rosier fcked up less. If the D could sack up on 3rd down. If we got the calls.

It will help to have a QB to get the ball in FRONT of JT. Also to have more than one true RB. More than one true TE. Add a couple true lockdown cover dbs. And sprinkle in some more big uglies. Storm18 and Surge19 cant get here soon enough.

Advertisement
Ssvir, I have been to ALL UM home games since 1983 and our coaching staff was out coached big time last night. Been watching and playing football since 1961 and you just don’t like the truth son. Maybe an onside kick at halftime killing all momentum, or going for 4th and 18 on your opponents 45 yd line in the second quarter, misusing the clock all year long, or last night brilliant play calling on the 20 yard line will refresh your memory. I can name many more for this year. Richt is the general, he is the commander in chief, and ultimately his poor decision making is widespread. The head coach for Wisconsin made Richt look silly.

Nah... We were limited from a playmaking standpoint with our 3 best offensive playmakers being injured and our QB's erratic execution. You can't say Richt was coaching well up 14-3 and then turn and say he can't coach with some of the atrocious non-calls by zebras.

Our RBs didn't fumble all season, Rosier had 31 TDs with his best weapons out for large stretches, a 10-0 start, coastal win, and made the OB. **** of a coaching job with all things considered.

If coaching is to hold a guy when you're beat then Richt was out-coached, but having a more accurate QB has nothing to do with coaching. We lost this game by 10 to a team that was higher ranked, with a better QB and continuity in their favor.

Canes will be fine. Consider the fuse lit.

Ssvir, I have been to ALL UM home games since 1983 and our coaching staff was out coached big time last night. Been watching and playing football since 1961 and you just don’t like the truth son. Maybe an onside kick at halftime killing all momentum, or going for 4th and 18 on your opponents 45 yd line in the second quarter, misusing the clock all year long, or last night brilliant play calling on the 20 yard line will refresh your memory. I can name many more for this year. Richt is the general, he is the commander in chief, and ultimately his poor decision making is widespread. The head coach for Wisconsin made Richt look silly.

Just a ridiculous post as usual.

At LEAST 75% of every game is about player execution.

Based upon your logic Richt would have made Chryst "look silly" if ...

1. Rosier didn't throw three INTs ... one leading to a short field TD for Wisky and another costing a TD. 14 point swing.

2. Badgley makes his FGs. 6 points.

3. Officials call holding on the RT against Trent Harris negating the long completion on 3rd down and eventual TD. 7 points.

4. Shaq is able to hold onto the INT (not an easy play to make) around the Wisky 20 yd line. 3 or 7 points.

5. The Wisky Receiver doesn't catch the TD with one hand after bobbling the ball (covered by Redwine). 4 points (FG instead of TD).

If the players/officials execute even half of the 5 listed above (and there are more PLAYER EXECUTION examples) we win and Richt "out-coached" Chryst.

Last edited:
Sorry, 44 rushing attempts to 29 is indeed being pushed around.

They ran 23 more plays total, largely because of turnovers and 10+ yard passes for first downs. They ran on 56% of their plays and we ran 53%. No big difference.

Wisconsin didn't push anybody around or wear anybody down. 3.2 yards per carry is garbage and would rank 123rd in the country over the course of the season.

There is no question we need to improve the power element of the running game. Some of that will come with personnel at FB, TE and OL that more closely resembles Richt's Georgia teams. But we should never play like Wisconsin.

The best thing we can do is leverage our unique speed at receiver to back those safeties up. This is the first year since 2010 that our yards per pass attempt dipped below 8.0. We were 55th in the country after averaging 19th in the country the past six years.

If Perry wins the job, we will have a gifted downfield thrower and a fleet of guys like Richards, Thomas and Harley. That will create soft boxes for our talented backs.

Advertisement

They ran 23 more plays total, largely because of turnovers and 10+ yard passes for first downs. They ran on 56% of their plays and we ran 53%. No big difference.

Wisconsin didn't push anybody around or wear anybody down. 3.2 yards per carry is garbage and would rank 123rd in the country over the course of the season.

There is no question we need to improve the power element of the running game. Some of that will come with personnel at FB, TE and OL that more closely resembles Richt's Georgia teams. But we should never play like Wisconsin.

The best thing we can do is leverage our unique speed at receiver to back those safeties up. This is the first year since 2010 that our yards per pass attempt dipped below 8.0. We were 55th in the country after averaging 19th in the country the past six years.

If Perry wins the job, we will have a gifted downfield thrower and a fleet of guys like Richards, Thomas and Harley. That will create soft boxes for our talented backs.

Some of Richt's best offensive scheming this year came when would sent the midgets flying down field and then started eating slot screens with Berrios and Herndon against loose dime coverage. Wish he did it more often.

With that said, ultimate, Dooger's point is that Miami needs to run the ball at a higher volume...and he's right. Its weird seeing so many on this forum not getting this fundamental approach to football when the data is easily accessible. Good teams run the ball...ALOT...and it doesn't always have to be effective from a yards per carry stand point in a single game bubble, but the effort and the mindset to scheme needs to be there.

Its pretty funny that you mention "we should never be like Wisconsin" when you look at what Georgia has done in two years under Smart as they got away from Richt.

I'm not knocking Richt, as I love the man and what he brings to this school after over a decade of nonsense. However, Georgia went from (regardless of OC) a team that ran the ball season-to-season erratically (some years 34 - bad - some years 37 - meh - a few scant years 40ish - good) under Mike Bobo, to running the ball 45 times per game this year under Smart. Look at where Georgia is...look at where Miami is. Its a good case study.

Richt needs to run the ball more. We need to start utilizing two tight ends and a fullback. Not at the expense of the receivers, but there needs to be an effort to run in volume. There needs to be a bully mindset. I am not sure why you wouldn't with the stable of backs Miami always has available to them. With the addition of Lingard and Davis next year the maturation of Dallas and Homer, I have no idea why you wouldn't want them pounding the rock 45 times per game. I'd wager we'd make the CFB playoffs if we rushed the ball 45 times per game. Miami's talent base is often prime to run big boy football with next level athleticism on the outside. Its not like South Florida lacks for OL these days and its not like Miami, with our long history of developing TEs, can't find them and have them readily available. We can acquire the types of players to run bully football.

We have known all year we don’t have the bodies to impose any kind of will on anyone. It shows big on 3rd down and red zone plays.
Yet we tried over and over... why not get creative to get the ball into the playmakers hands? Also, if blitzing all the time is working why switch to zone? Just confused the heck out of me

Before the season we all thought walton had to play lights out for our offense to be good.

What would you have expected if you found out we would lose Walton, Richards, and Herndon before the season?

Advertisement
Haven't sat down and watched the replay yet, but here are some general thoughts after watching the game in-person:

- As a Miami fan, you hope this loss is like Alabama's loss in the 2009 Sugar Bowl. In Saban's second year, Bama became relevant for the first time in forever but finished the season on a two-game losing streak. They got outclassed by Florida in the SEC championship and got beat by a non-Power 5 team (Utah) in the Sugar Bowl by two touchdowns. They signed a monster recruiting class with 5 first round picks, plus Eddie Lacy and AJ McCarron, and the rest is history.

- Wisconsin is the type of team that exposes where you are weak. If Miami is at its best, Wisconsin can't play with them. But Miami isn't ready for primetime in a few areas, and they were all on display last night.

- The first is obvious. Rosier completed 45% of his passes over the last three games. You can't win like that in 21st century college football. The first two INTs were demoralizing momentum killers. There are many reasons for the losing streak, but the simplest explanation is the best one.

- The second issue is third-down defense. Miami was 65th this year. That's unacceptable for a team with an elite pass rush that finished second nationally in sacks per game. Wisconsin went 7-15 last night with several backbreakers. They just out-executed Miami. Chryst moved Hornibrook around and schemed to neutralize the rush, Hornibrook was accurate and the receivers made contested catches.

- It was easy to notice the true freshmen on the field. Deejay Dallas, Jeff Thomas and Mike Harley are truly dynamic and should affect defensive gameplans going forward. Trajan Bandy and Navaughn Donaldson did what they do. Derrick Smith played a ton and stands out physically. Corey Gaynor needs to tighten up his pass blocking but also played. Jeff Feagles had his best game. Bradley Jennings got his most meaningful action, presumably because of his stoutness in the running game. Amari Carter and DeAndre Wilder made tackles on special teams. This is a young team.

- The talk about Miami being physically overmatched is flat wrong, in my opinion. Miami actually outrushed Wisconsin (174 to 142) and almost doubled their yards per attempt (6.0 to 3.2). They just got out-executed by a well-coached team, particularly in the passing game.

- This is a much different feeling than 2009 or 2013. The spirit was there. If there were any stretches of flat play, I chalk it up to deflating turnovers. That can turn around pretty quickly once the passing game inspires confidence again.

- There will be time to break down the roster going forward, but I think some of our major issues during the streak (DB depth, a playmaking void after the three big offensive injuries, QB competition) will be addressed by this class. I'll miss watching the seniors, especially Braxton Berrios and Chad Thomas. They left the program much better than they found it.

Well said . Chad Thomas played his last game as a true Cane. Berrios has played the same way all year. Their emotion in post game comments point to their feeling about the program. Better than the way they found it. What I will choose to remember about last night

Some of Richt's best offensive scheming this year came when would sent the midgets flying down field and then started eating slot screens with Berrios and Herndon against loose dime coverage. Wish he did it more often.

With that said, ultimate, Dooger's point is that Miami needs to run the ball at a higher volume...and he's right. Its weird seeing so many on this forum not getting this fundamental approach to football when the data is easily accessible. Good teams run the ball...ALOT...and it doesn't always have to be effective from a yards per carry stand point in a single game bubble, but the effort and the mindset to scheme needs to be there.

Its pretty funny that you mention "we should never be like Wisconsin" when you look at what Georgia has done in two years under Smart as they got away from Richt.

I'm not knocking Richt, as I love the man and what he brings to this school after over a decade of nonsense. However, Georgia went from (regardless of OC) a team that ran the ball season-to-season erratically (some years 34 - bad - some years 37 - meh - a few scant years 40ish - good) under Mike Bobo, to running the ball 45 times per game this year under Smart. Look at where Georgia is...look at where Miami is. Its a good case study.

Richt needs to run the ball more. We need to start utilizing two tight ends and a fullback. Not at the expense of the receivers, but there needs to be an effort to run in volume. There needs to be a bully mindset. I am not sure why you wouldn't with the stable of backs Miami always has available to them. With the addition of Lingard and Davis next year the maturation of Dallas and Homer, I have no idea why you wouldn't want them pounding the rock 45 times per game. I'd wager we'd make the CFB playoffs if we rushed the ball 45 times per game. Miami's talent base is often prime to run big boy football with next level athleticism on the outside. Its not like South Florida lacks for OL these days and its not like Miami, with our long history of developing TEs, can't find them and have them readily available. We can acquire the types of players to run bully football.

How much of that stat is slanted towards good teams being up big and looking to salt the game away by running the ball late?

We did not have the personnel to run the ball down teams throats like a Wisconsin or Georgia. What part of that do you not understand? That should not be Miami's Offensive philosophy going forward with the talent we're going to have at the skill positions and Quarterback.

Advertisement

We did not have the personnel to run the ball down teams throats like a Wisconsin or Georgia. What part of that do you not understand? That should not be Miami's Offensive philosophy going forward with the talent we're going to have at the skill positions and Quarterback.

As I stated on the recruiting board...

We had an NFL quality senior fullback gifted to us...we had two NFL quality TEs last year...we had a junior pocket passer QB and a stable of backs including healthy Walton, Edwards, Yearby, and Homer...and Richt STILL didn't run the football.

So, not sure what "personnel" matters here...its not a personnel issue, its a philosophy issue.

Don't compare us to Bama. Saban will do anything it takes to win. He will kill his own son so he succeeds. Richt hired his son and keep his son no matter what happens. Maybe his son is doing a great job however with that resume of his there is ZERO chance a coach like Saban/Meyer would have him coaching his QBs

1. Rosier is bad
2. Defensive backs had poor technique. Being at the receivers back pocket is useless if you don't turn your head and find the ball. 4 TD passes and a **** ton of 3rd down conversions I saw bad man coverage technique.

Advertisement
Back