Some post-game thoughts

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Haven't sat down and watched the replay yet, but here are some general thoughts after watching the game in-person:

- As a Miami fan, you hope this loss is like Alabama's loss in the 2009 Sugar Bowl. In Saban's second year, Bama became relevant for the first time in forever but finished the season on a two-game losing streak. They got outclassed by Florida in the SEC championship and got beat by a non-Power 5 team (Utah) in the Sugar Bowl by two touchdowns. They signed a monster recruiting class with 5 first round picks, plus Eddie Lacy and AJ McCarron, and the rest is history.

- Wisconsin is the type of team that exposes where you are weak. If Miami is at its best, Wisconsin can't play with them. But Miami isn't ready for primetime in a few areas, and they were all on display last night.

- The first is obvious. Rosier completed 45% of his passes over the last three games. You can't win like that in 21st century college football. The first two INTs were demoralizing momentum killers. There are many reasons for the losing streak, but the simplest explanation is the best one.

- The second issue is third-down defense. Miami was 65th this year. That's unacceptable for a team with an elite pass rush that finished second nationally in sacks per game. Wisconsin went 7-15 last night with several backbreakers. They just out-executed Miami. Chryst moved Hornibrook around and schemed to neutralize the rush, Hornibrook was accurate and the receivers made contested catches.

- It was easy to notice the true freshmen on the field. Deejay Dallas, Jeff Thomas and Mike Harley are truly dynamic and should affect defensive gameplans going forward. Trajan Bandy and Navaughn Donaldson did what they do. Derrick Smith played a ton and stands out physically. Corey Gaynor needs to tighten up his pass blocking but also played. Jeff Feagles had his best game. Bradley Jennings got his most meaningful action, presumably because of his stoutness in the running game. Amari Carter and DeAndre Wilder made tackles on special teams. This is a young team.

- The talk about Miami being physically overmatched is flat wrong, in my opinion. Miami actually outrushed Wisconsin (174 to 142) and almost doubled their yards per attempt (6.0 to 3.2). They just got out-executed by a well-coached team, particularly in the passing game.

- This is a much different feeling than 2009 or 2013. The spirit was there. If there were any stretches of flat play, I chalk it up to deflating turnovers. That can turn around pretty quickly once the passing game inspires confidence again.

- There will be time to break down the roster going forward, but I think some of our major issues during the streak (DB depth, a playmaking void after the three big offensive injuries, QB competition) will be addressed by this class. I'll miss watching the seniors, especially Braxton Berrios and Chad Thomas. They left the program much better than they found it.

Advertisement
As always you brought some common sense to the board

Haven't sat down and watched the replay yet, but here are some general thoughts after watching the game in-person:

- As a Miami fan, you hope this loss is like Alabama's loss in the 2009 Sugar Bowl. In Saban's second year, Bama became relevant for the first time in forever but finished the season on a two-game losing streak. They got outclassed by Florida in the SEC championship and got beat by a non-Power 5 team (Utah) in the Sugar Bowl by two touchdowns. They signed a monster recruiting class with 5 first round picks, plus Eddie Lacy and AJ McCarron, and the rest is history.

- Wisconsin is the type of team that exposes where you are weak. If Miami is at its best, Wisconsin can't play with them. But Miami isn't ready for primetime in a few areas, and they were all on display last night.

- The first is obvious. Rosier completed 45% of his passes over the last three games. You can't win like that in 21st century college football. The first two INTs were demoralizing momentum killers. There are many reasons for the losing streak, but the simplest explanation is the best one.

- The second issue is third-down defense. Miami was 65th this year. That's unacceptable for a team with an elite pass rush that finished second nationally in sacks per game. Wisconsin went 7-15 last night with several backbreakers. They just out-executed Miami. Chryst moved Hornibrook around and schemed to neutralize the rush, Hornibrook was accurate and the receivers made contested catches.

- It was easy to notice the true freshmen on the field. Deejay Dallas, Jeff Thomas and Mike Harley are truly dynamic and should affect defensive gameplans going forward. Trajan Bandy and Navaughn Donaldson did what they do. Derrick Smith played a ton and stands out physically. Corey Gaynor needs to tighten up his pass blocking but also played. Jeff Feagles had his best game. Bradley Jennings got his most meaningful action, presumably because of his stoutness in the running game. Amari Carter and DeAndre Wilder made tackles on special teams. This is a young team.

- The talk about Miami being physically overmatched is flat wrong, in my opinion. Miami actually outrushed Wisconsin (174 to 142) and almost doubled their yards per attempt (6.0 to 3.2). They just got out-executed by a well-coached team, particularly in the passing game.

- This is a much different feeling than 2009 or 2013. The spirit was there. If there were any stretches of flat play, I chalk it up to deflating turnovers. That can turn around pretty quickly once the passing game inspires confidence again.

- There will be time to break down the roster going forward, but I think some of our major issues during the streak (DB depth, a playmaking void after the three big offensive injuries, QB competition) will be addressed by this class. I'll miss watching the seniors, especially Braxton Berrios and Chad Thomas. They left the program much better than they found it.

Thanks, D. I think also generally under appreciated and who also happened to have his best game was Trent Harris. Guy has been nothing short of a first class citizen in this program

Advertisement
Translation is that we got out coached AGAIN

Not sure why you are getting down voted.

D$ says it in his post. Chryst offense outschemed Diaz and ours didn’t do the same.

We need to get better in all 3 phases. STs coaching is horrific.

Advertisement
Definitely some things to work on. We going to be all right though, injuries killed us

D$ says it in his post. Chryst offense outschemed Diaz and ours didn’t do the same.

What he said is that we have some glaring weaknesses that opponents have been able to exploit. We're bad enough at a few positions that coaching can't mask it. Not Richt's fault at this point, we just need better guys.

Advertisement
The comparison to Bama in the 2009 Sugar Bowl is damned insightful.

Have to disagree. I remember that game and seeing Alabama before the game. They didn't want to be there. That was not the case for us last night. Alabama mailed it in; we got beat.

The most painful line was when the announcer said something like, "Miami can't cover the Wisconsin receivers man to man. I never thought I'd say that."

I agree with your analysis. The few porsters claiming that Miami was “physically outmatched” are just spouting off lazy cliches, in my opinion. Wisconsin won that game because they took advantage of our weak passing defense and turnovers. Their alleged physically imposing running game never really threatened us, and our OL got some decent push.

I will say that from a structural standpoint, I am a lot more concerned about the defense going forward than the offense. Diaz is a smart guy though I think he will make adjustments. My hope is that the 10th coach is on the defensive side of the ball.

What he said is that we have some glaring weaknesses that opponents have been able to exploit. We're bad enough at a few positions that coaching can't mask it. Not Richt's fault at this point, we just need better guys.

And we don’t exploit other teams glaring weaknesses.

People can’t have it both ways. Couldn’t compete with Clemson bc they recruit better then us. Can’t beat Pitt and WI, why? We recruit better then them.

Advertisement
Ssvir, I have been to ALL UM home games since 1983 and our coaching staff was out coached big time last night. Been watching and playing football since 1961 and you just don’t like the truth son. Maybe an onside kick at halftime killing all momentum, or going for 4th and 18 on your opponents 45 yd line in the second quarter, misusing the clock all year long, or last night brilliant play calling on the 20 yard line will refresh your memory. I can name many more for this year. Richt is the general, he is the commander in chief, and ultimately his poor decision making is widespread. The head coach for Wisconsin made Richt look silly.

People can’t have it both ways. Couldn’t compete with Clemson bc they recruit better then us. Can’t beat Pitt and WI, why? We recruit better then them.

Sure we do. ND had a shaky QB. What happened to him when they played us? VT had a weak passing game. What happened to them when they played us?

Sure we do. ND had a shaky QB. What happened to him when they played us? VT had a weak passing game. What happened to them when they played us?

Fantastic. We were prepared and well coached on D 2 games this year. Have to start somewhere

Advertisement
Back