Some post-game thoughts

Translation is that we got out coached AGAIN

Not sure why you are getting down voted.

D$ says it in his post. Chryst offense outschemed Diaz and ours didn’t do the same.

We need to get better in all 3 phases. STs coaching is horrific.

Just cause D$ says something doesn't make it true. I would like to ask the question...what did Whiskey do to out coach us? All of the QB rolling and movement to stop our pass rush actually didn't do much for them. That actually played into our hands to put their QB on the move and have us chase. We're good at that remember. Where we lost this game, and i know all of you star whores and player white knights won't want to hear this, was their guys made plays. Their guys stepped up when their moment was called and our didn't. Shaq drops pick 6, their guy picks and changes momentum. Their WRs made great plays and catches while our guys didn't make the play. If it was coaching their guys would've been wide open or they wouldve found out a way to run on us. Just about every play we were in position to make a play. We just didn't. That's not coaching. That's players making plays when plays are their to be made.

Advertisement
Thanks, D. I think also generally under appreciated and who also happened to have his best game was Trent Harris. Guy has been nothing short of a first class citizen in this program

100% agree, man he was held every play yesterday....

D$ says it in his post. Chryst offense outschemed Diaz and ours didn’t do the same.

What he said is that we have some glaring weaknesses that opponents have been able to exploit. We're bad enough at a few positions that coaching can't mask it. Not Richt's fault at this point, we just need better guys.

And we don’t exploit other teams glaring weaknesses.

People can’t have it both ways. Couldn’t compete with Clemson bc they recruit better then us. Can’t beat Pitt and WI, why? We recruit better then them.

Sure we do. ND had a shaky QB. What happened to him when they played us? VT had a weak passing game. What happened to them when they played us?

Fantastic. We were prepared and well coached on D 2 games this year. Have to start somewhere

You asked for examples and I gave you some. No need to stomp your feet.

Definitely some things to work on. We going to be all right though, injuries killed us

Injuries with very little Depth - we will be ok, 2 running backs, 2 tight ends, a handful of receivers and a couple (hopefully more) on the offensive line coming in will fill the holes.

Qb play and missed field goals. Qb completion % and the 2 ints. With one setting Wisconsin up at the 20, and the other a pick in the end zone. That’s points off the board. Can’t beat a top ten team like that.

Advertisement
Translation is that we got out coached AGAIN

What he said is that we have some glaring weaknesses that opponents have been able to exploit. We're bad enough at a few positions that coaching can't mask it. Not Richt's fault at this point, we just need better guys.

Read it again.

Our weakness on defense was exposed by whisky. Delaney is not a lock down d1 corner, hence his exile to the Citadel the last four years. Redwine is a decent ball player, but can't be our starting safety if we want to be a championship contender. We thought the back end would be bad when we originally thought about how the defense would be. They weren't bad, but they **** sure weren't championship quality.

Offensive coordinators figured that out. Go 4 and 5 wide to force redwine into man coverage and attack him. Throw quick at Delaney. Get the ball out to neutralize our D-line. That was the game plan and it worked. Good news is that those days are over. Good luck trying that **** next year against bandy and the freshmen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

We need to continue to upgrade the talent across the board.
Need way better QB play.
Need Diaz to trash his zone.

Advertisement
Nice write up D. WI did all it could do last night. That is their ceiling and they are well coached. We are just out of intensive care with Post Donna Disorder and a long way from our ceiling. Our coaches can do better and our talent will get better as will of depth. We had them last night and let them back in. Still we have chance again but did pull it off. Next recruiting class makes us much better. More big time players to compensate for less than perfect coaching. Last night was missed opportunity, not a crushing defeat. Still a loss but one we could have and should have won.

The comparison to Bama in the 2009 Sugar Bowl is damned insightful.

Have to disagree. I remember that game and seeing Alabama before the game. They didn't want to be there. That was not the case for us last night. Alabama mailed it in; we got beat.

The most painful line was when the announcer said something like, "Miami can't cover the Wisconsin receivers man to man. I never thought I'd say that."

we couldn't cover the toledo receivers man to man and same with the UVA receivers. we havent been good in the secondary all year and we weren't good this game. we knew that it was a weakness coming in and it was exposed esp after losing young. the first pick was turning point bc Wisky couldn't move the ball and we gave them a short field to get them going. the D was left out on the field for too long and apart of that is what has been an issue ALL year -- third down defense. our weaknesses were on display last night and it wasn't anything new. offensively, we weren't great all year w rosier and when you lose the threat of richards (having him out there forces defenses to shift towards him and allows others to be more open) and herndon, you gotta hope your ****** qb has an elite game. he didnt and hes been pretty horrific the second half of the year as defenses got more tape on him and schemed for him.

Qb play and missed field goals. Qb completion % and the 2 ints. With one setting Wisconsin up at the 20, and the other a pick in the end zone. That’s points off the board. Can’t beat a top ten team like that.

at the very least, you get those two plays back and you score 3 points to tie it at 24 and you force Wisc to drive the length of a field if you punt on the first pick. they couldn't do it at the time the pick was thrown aside from the first drive.

Advertisement
Haven't sat down and watched the replay yet, but here are some general thoughts after watching the game in-person:
- Wisconsin is the type of team that exposes where you are weak. If Miami is at its best, Wisconsin can't play with them. But Miami isn't ready for primetime in a few areas, and they were all on display last night.

I'm not going to bash our coaching, but it was telling how each staff reacted to adversity. When Wisconsin went down 14-3, there was no panic in them. They continued to stick with what got them to the dance and did what they do...just grind you out. It was a sign of a well-coached, VETERAN team. They never got too up...never got too down, regardless of the stage.

Their players just showed signs of being in battles over their careers. Tindal and Nelson, veterans with a lot of hand play and holding that is obvious on replay, but refs don't pick up on. Even some of their younger players had some veteran tendencies, like their RT #79 with the old hook but don't impede hold that refs often let happen under the guise of "it didn't impede a step". This is the type of **** that sent Richt off a cliff at the end of the half. The little dirty stuff that wasn't getting called is a hallmark of well coached, veteran teams in grind-y games like this.

On the other hand, Miami players and coaches were generally emotional last night from my seat. Constantly bickering and talking to the refs about non-calls or the Wisconsin players giving an extra push coming out of a scrum. That emotional nature really got to Miami between the whistles, too. You could see the frantic nature of the team, especially on offense, once they got down and things weren't working.

- The second issue is third-down defense. Miami was 65th this year. That's unacceptable for a team with an elite pass rush that finished second nationally in sacks per game. Wisconsin went 7-15 last night with several backbreakers. They just out-executed Miami. Chryst moved Hornibrook around and schemed to neutralize the rush, Hornibrook was accurate and the receivers made contested catches.

A lot to unpack here. To summarize, I just think Diaz got worked by Chryst in this game. He just seemed one step ahead of Diaz and as mentioned in other threads, if Miami isn't generating turnovers and points off turnovers, its a tough mountain for them to climb as a defense. Wisconsin did the little things, the nuances of a game better then Miami, especially on the outside and in the pass game, which shouldn't be the case for Miami.

- It was easy to notice the true freshmen on the field. Deejay Dallas, Jeff Thomas and Mike Harley are truly dynamic and should affect defensive gameplans going forward. Trajan Bandy and Navaughn Donaldson did what they do. Derrick Smith played a ton and stands out physically. Corey Gaynor needs to tighten up his pass blocking but also played. Jeff Feagles had his best game. Bradley Jennings got his most meaningful action, presumably because of his stoutness in the running game. Amari Carter and DeAndre Wilder made tackles on special teams. This is a young team.

We've been a young team for over a decade now. Year in and year out we just constantly have this excuse of being a "young team" with a lot of freshmen getting burn. Older recruiting classes lack the depth for players to develop as 4th and 5th year players to eat up playing time over the youth. This will be an excuse next year, too, as our stacked class will get a lot of playing time where it'll be an excuse for a season that takes some bad losses.

- The talk about Miami being physically overmatched is flat wrong, in my opinion. Miami actually outrushed Wisconsin (174 to 142) and almost doubled their yards per attempt (6.0 to 3.2). They just got out-executed by a well-coached team, particularly in the passing game.

Miami needed to run the ball more. Wisconsin ran the ball 44 times and as a result destroyed Miami in TOP. This exposes a lot of Miami's weaknesses defensively and exposes our lack of depth. Their ability to get into manageable third downs is on full display simply by their concerted effort to run the ball.

- This is a much different feeling than 2009 or 2013. The spirit was there. If there were any stretches of flat play, I chalk it up to deflating turnovers. That can turn around pretty quickly once the passing game inspires confidence again.

Definitely different then under Randy or Golden, but the question mark at QB, Richt's offensive playcalling, and the lack of attention to our run game still leave me feeling anxious about our future.

- There will be time to break down the roster going forward, but I think some of our major issues during the streak (DB depth, a playmaking void after the three big offensive injuries, QB competition) will be addressed by this class. I'll miss watching the seniors, especially Braxton Berrios and Chad Thomas. They left the program much better than they found it.

Berrios is going to be a player we talk about for a long time. He'll never have to buy a meal in Miami again.

Haven't sat down and watched the replay yet, but here are some general thoughts after watching the game in-person:

- As a Miami fan, you hope this loss is like Alabama's loss in the 2009 Sugar Bowl. In Saban's second year, Bama became relevant for the first time in forever but finished the season on a two-game losing streak. They got outclassed by Florida in the SEC championship and got beat by a non-Power 5 team (Utah) in the Sugar Bowl by two touchdowns. They signed a monster recruiting class with 5 first round picks, plus Eddie Lacy and AJ McCarron, and the rest is history.

- Wisconsin is the type of team that exposes where you are weak. If Miami is at its best, Wisconsin can't play with them. But Miami isn't ready for primetime in a few areas, and they were all on display last night.

- The first is obvious. Rosier completed 45% of his passes over the last three games. You can't win like that in 21st century college football. The first two INTs were demoralizing momentum killers. There are many reasons for the losing streak, but the simplest explanation is the best one.

- The second issue is third-down defense. Miami was 65th this year. That's unacceptable for a team with an elite pass rush that finished second nationally in sacks per game. Wisconsin went 7-15 last night with several backbreakers. They just out-executed Miami. Chryst moved Hornibrook around and schemed to neutralize the rush, Hornibrook was accurate and the receivers made contested catches.

- It was easy to notice the true freshmen on the field. Deejay Dallas, Jeff Thomas and Mike Harley are truly dynamic and should affect defensive gameplans going forward. Trajan Bandy and Navaughn Donaldson did what they do. Derrick Smith played a ton and stands out physically. Corey Gaynor needs to tighten up his pass blocking but also played. Jeff Feagles had his best game. Bradley Jennings got his most meaningful action, presumably because of his stoutness in the running game. Amari Carter and DeAndre Wilder made tackles on special teams. This is a young team.

- The talk about Miami being physically overmatched is flat wrong, in my opinion. Miami actually outrushed Wisconsin (174 to 142) and almost doubled their yards per attempt (6.0 to 3.2). They just got out-executed by a well-coached team, particularly in the passing game.

- This is a much different feeling than 2009 or 2013. The spirit was there. If there were any stretches of flat play, I chalk it up to deflating turnovers. That can turn around pretty quickly once the passing game inspires confidence again.

- There will be time to break down the roster going forward, but I think some of our major issues during the streak (DB depth, a playmaking void after the three big offensive injuries, QB competition) will be addressed by this class. I'll miss watching the seniors, especially Braxton Berrios and Chad Thomas. They left the program much better than they found it.

The bolded is on Richt and Diaz. Not youth, not injuries, not depth, not the IPF, not the endzones.

Have to disagree. I remember that game and seeing Alabama before the game. They didn't want to be there. That was not the case for us last night. Alabama mailed it in; we got beat.

The most painful line was when the announcer said something like, "Miami can't cover the Wisconsin receivers man to man. I never thought I'd say that."

we couldn't cover the toledo receivers man to man and same with the UVA receivers. we havent been good in the secondary all year and we weren't good this game. we knew that it was a weakness coming in and it was exposed esp after losing young. the first pick was turning point bc Wisky couldn't move the ball and we gave them a short field to get them going. the D was left out on the field for too long and apart of that is what has been an issue ALL year -- third down defense. our weaknesses were on display last night and it wasn't anything new. offensively, we weren't great all year w rosier and when you lose the threat of richards (having him out there forces defenses to shift towards him and allows others to be more open) and herndon, you gotta hope your ****ty qb has an elite game. he didnt and hes been pretty horrific the second half of the year as defenses got more tape on him and schemed for him.

You need to go back and watch those games. Go look at how many passes were completed to a receiver that McCloud was covering in the UVA game.
Our secondary had a ton of issues, but there is a scheme issue as well.

Advertisement

Bear Bryant said many decades ago, "A 'major college' football team will lose one game per season for every true freshman they start."

Dude said that in like 1974. Despite the fact that freshman starters are a common occurrence today, it still seems to ring true way more often than not.

we couldn't cover the toledo receivers man to man and same with the UVA receivers. we havent been good in the secondary all year and we weren't good this game. we knew that it was a weakness coming in and it was exposed esp after losing young. the first pick was turning point bc Wisky couldn't move the ball and we gave them a short field to get them going. the D was left out on the field for too long and apart of that is what has been an issue ALL year -- third down defense. our weaknesses were on display last night and it wasn't anything new. offensively, we weren't great all year w rosier and when you lose the threat of richards (having him out there forces defenses to shift towards him and allows others to be more open) and herndon, you gotta hope your ****ty qb has an elite game. he didnt and hes been pretty horrific the second half of the year as defenses got more tape on him and schemed for him.

You need to go back and watch those games. Go look at how many passes were completed to a receiver that McCloud was covering in the UVA game.
Our secondary had a ton of issues, but there is a scheme issue as well.

If i remember correctly, i saw Owens play the boundary yesterday twice against a FB or HB - both times i said "oh ****" but Wisconsin didn't make us pay for it. Diaz cannot allow to be schemed like that. An OLB should never be playing man on the boundary.

3rd down offense was bad last night again and been bad the past 2 years, that probably is our biggest issue going forward.

Sorry but when you can't convert a 3rd and short all season, or when you can't stop someone from scoring inside the 5 or can't stop them on 3rd and manageable, then you have a problem on the line of scrimmage.

DJ Dallas is our best RB at the moment, better than Homer. Dallas and Jeff Thomas kept us in the game.

If our skill position guys were equal to theirs, we would have gotten blown out.

Oh, and coaching was NOT the problem, except why the **** do we ever play soft zone. South Florida kids can't execute in zone defenses for ****, so I don't know why we try to run that.

And btw, our QB is horrible. We really need Perry to be the guy next season. Badly.

Advertisement
Back