Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Here is the way I look at it.
We won 8 games this year. We have 2 major losses; Rambo and Harley. We lost Nesta, McCloud and a few others, but they are replaceable based on their production last year. Assuming that a few guys improve production at WR, and we have more healthy running backs, our offense will be as good as last year if we get an OC who can make use of outstanding weapons at every skill position.

On defense our back 4 should be much better with Rique returning (biggest off season decision) and the continued maturation of the law firm of Williams, Williams and Kichens. Our linebackers should be better with Chase playing more, Steed's continued improvement and Flagg being 2nd string (hope springs eternal). We have work to do on the line but LT will be better as will Harvey and Williams.

We won 8 games last year and played against a better ACC which included Pickett, Howell and the UVA quarterback. With our improvement, and the decline of quarterbacks in the ACC, we should be the best team on our side and battle Clemson. And with the best QB in the conference we should be favored in every game other than Clemson, and possibly against Clemson.
Hey Im an eternal optimist, so you wont get a strong arguement from this guy.

You make valid points. I do worry or at least factor in a few other things. We are going to go through a major cultural change. How long does it take us to come together and find our identity? That stuff matters in close games, not on the stat sheet. TVD doesnt even have a playbook yet hahaha. How long will it take to implement the entire book and get the timing down with the O.

The ACC is down, but we arent there yet where @VA, @VT, Pitt, NC are games Im going to dismiss. I think we will get there under Mario....speaking of, history tells us our boy finds a way to lose a head scratcher every year.

On the field, I worry about the D over 4 quarters. Rique is the recruiting win of the season. But unless teams are going with 1 man routes, we have some issues and are going to get burnt here and there. I really worry about the front 7. Pressure/sacks will be low imo unless we dial it up often with blitzes and win the battle on 1st down. I dont think I can go another season watching so many missed/broken tackles. I just want fundamental/sound D. You arent going to shut down offenses anymore, but dang, can we drag a guy down after 4 yards when we have him squared up.

Hey, we still dont know what wizard we will get for an OC and we are only half way through Portal season. Lots can happen. Maybe Im thinking more along the lines of a bookie than a fan hahaha. 9 wins for me it is...taking bets now!

I would have been good with Lane, but 2 major issues:

1. His HS recruiting is mediocre. That matters, he just isn't a grinder and we'd keep missing elite talent.

2. We need a culture change. We need to get more physical, to win at the LOS, to stop caring so much about hype. Mario can do that, Lane can't.

IMO, Lane is the type of coach who can keep a high level program running. We aren't there, not yet. Hopefully Cristobal can get us there, but again, expecting us to blow everyone out in 2022? There's not a coach in the world that could do that with this roster
Would have been good and entertaining for a time before the train derailed. He is not a program sustainer. Mario is building the cornerstone that will maintain the program for years to come.

Advertisement
Not that anyone cares but I figure I'll throw it in this thread b/c why not. But I am having to put my dog down today and it sucks. He was my Miami game homie during the season :(
Sorry brother.

For The Homies Who Passed GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Advertisement
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back