Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
There appears to be a line in the sand for or against Coley. Who are the premier QB coaches in the College ranks? Often the QB coach is merged with OC; in this case with Brady as OC/WR who would be a great hire?

Advertisement
Imagine having an unprecedented budget for your football staff and saying "I want James Coley/Frank Ponce as my QB coach."

I mean, I can live with Coley, but we really can and should do better.
The only thing I can defend for Ponce is that he’s made Chase Brice serviceable. That dude was atrocious at Duke.

Given our supposed budget, it would be extremely underwhelming.

There appears to be a line in the sand for or against Coley. Who are the premier QB coaches in the College ranks? Often the QB coach is merged with OC; in this case with Brady as OC/WR who would be a great hire?

This is exactly why i prefer someone like Briles. It seems to be a lot easier to find a great WR position coach than a QB position only coach. I mean even just between Miami and Oregon, you have two pretty well liked WR coaches in Likens and McClendon while the QB coaching names that are being talked about, presumably as a result of a national search, have clearly received "mixed" reception.

But in the end, i think any of the top names for OC will work just fine for us, barring any major personality issues between staff members. Heck, I've read here that even King was a huge blessing and help for Tyler, and he has zero experience as a coach. We might just need a solid/decent QB coach that can cover the basics, that has good chemistry with Tyler, and meshes well with Brady and the other coaches.

Advertisement
He brought in TVD, for that I’m grateful. What he didn’t do well was game plan, calling plays, having laminated play sheets - OC duties.
He could still be considered a good QB coach.
...and that's my point. Enos could (I'm no expert) be a great QB coach, but we know **** well he was not a great OC.

The same could be true about Coley and, at a minimum, we KNOW Coley can recruit.

Not sure. Enos was said to be a QB guru as he allegedly worked wonders with Tua and Hurts.

How did that work out?
Not to defend the guy but which of our currently G5 quarterbacks was he supposed to turn into a Heisman contender? That's why he recruited TVD.

Advertisement
You also have to take into account, who the OC’s head coach was at the time.

The head coach could have led to some on the results, ie: wanting to be in total control, smartest person in the room, personality type.

Not making excuses just pointing out another component.

Last edited:
Not to defend the guy but which of our currently G5 quarterbacks was he supposed to turn into a Heisman contender? That's why he recruited TVD.
My initial comment was poorly worded.

My point is that a coach can be great in one role, and poor in another. Enos was heralded as a QB guru because of his work with the Bama QBs. Yet, he was a terrible OC at Miami. Nobody on this Board wants him back. However, that does not mean he suddenly forgot how to coach QBs.

The same holds true (potentially) for Coley.

Not even joking, but have you ever been to Buffalo?
It's not THAT bad. How do we know he doesn't like it there? I mean, he went there willingly. Has been there 3 years. Got promoted there. It's not like he's poor (meaning, it's not like he's out there shoveling snow). Jim Kelly has lived there for like 40 years.

I just think coming here would be a demotion for him. I think he really wants that NFL OC job, where he's the top dog calling all the shots. But I could be wrong. Seems like anything is possible right now.

My initial comment was poorly worded.

My point is that a coach can be great in one role, and poor in another. Enos was heralded as a QB guru because of his work with the Bama QBs. Yet, he was a terrible OC at Miami. Nobody on this Board wants him back. However, that does not mean he suddenly forgot how to coach QBs.

The same holds true (potentially) for Coley.
We are in complete agreement.

Advertisement

Admittedly, I placed a lot of the blame on Enos at the time, but in hindsight this is a very strong point. Regardless, will always be thankful for him snagging TVD

Admittedly, I placed a lot of the blame on Enos at the time, but in hindsight this is a very strong point. Regardless, will always be thankful for him snagging TVD
I did as well. It limits what you can do when your QBs can't read Dr. Seuss, much less a D.

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back