Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say we give this kid a shot at OC. He did learn a thing or two from Madden.
download-2.jpeg

Advertisement
It didnt, they were really good on defense, but average on offense.
His defenses were very good, but They were scoring 32 a game (top 35-40) by his last year at both temple and Baylor. He’s not an offensive genius but its well above average. You act like it’s pathetic and no one has ever had success with it…simply not true. It’s actually better than what Miamis offense was this year

Advertisement
our guys here just stopped sending info because it looks like nothing has come true regarding hires

Just to add to the thread count, in the "other" coaching thread, some interesting updates to the pinned thread. Unsure when these were made but:

Co-OC- Coley (no surprise there)

Co-OC- Spencer Whipple (rumored here but still seems to have traction)

Co-DC/S - Belk (solid rumor here for a minute)

Co-DC/LB - Charlie Strong (This is the one I have not seen rumored since last year with Manny)

At some point I am starting to wonder if coaches do not like working for Mario. Some coaching circle things they may have heard or something that turns them off in the interview process other than the fact he is sitting on interviews for over a month at a time. He doesn't even have a great history when it comes to hiring coordinators in the first place so this place may turn very toxic if we wait this long and then get some underwhelming hires.

At this point the only good that can come from the wait is if we beat out UF for some recruits without a staff and get some good gator tears

One of my closest friends was on Mario's FIU staff. He has always said that Mario was difficult to work with. Not that he was an ******* or anything, but that he has an insane work ethic and expects everyone on staff to match. Very demanding with his expectations. Back in those early days at FIU they'd pull nighters on a regular basis.

He definitely ain't for everybody.

But that has nothing to do with Travaris Robinson, who was attached to Muschamps ****ies for most of his career, or McClendon (I'm no longer calling these dudes by their nicknames)who also worked for Muschamp,

****, now that I think of it, McClendon's in the same building with a guy who fired him and a guy who demoted him.
I think I'm circling the same wagons. Dude is going to be very, very difficult to work for.

He has 3 key characteristics, and as someone who's spent many years in Management + hired/fired my share, to me it goes like this:

1. He's an Alpha Dog. Alpha Dogs need folks working for them who don't challenge that status. They're wary of other Alphas, and if they let others flex Alpha in their corner of the 'business', they still have to reassert themselves periodically over the other guy

2. He's got an insane motor. Dudes with insane motors inherently look down on, judge, or critique those without the same motor. The owner of the business who is first in/last to leave is ALWAYS looking at the parking lots and taking mental notes about who else is or isn't there, and who isn't or isn't grinding as hard as he is. Long term, no one who lacks that motor will last.

3. Dude is an A Player, and Steve Jobs was correct - A Players only like to work with or surround themselves with others on / near that level. They don't suffer fools, buffoons, or the inexperienced very well.

This means whoever works for a guy with these character traits needs to be relatively subordinate, grind like ****, and be sharp/top notch in terms of their capabilities and intelligence.

Finding people who tick all 3 of those boxes is incredibly hard, and of all of them, the motor itself is the most offputting.

Alphas can conceal Alpha behavior as needed, and A Players can compensate for some things with raw talent/capabilities.

But you can't fake motor, and a boss with a significantly higher motor than you is never going to value, respect, and treat you well in the long haul. You're always a slacker if you aren't them.

Advertisement
Just to add to the thread count, in the "other" coaching thread, some interesting updates to the pinned thread. Unsure when these were made but:

Co-OC- Coley (no surprise there)

Co-OC- Spencer Whipple (rumored here but still seems to have traction)

Co-DC/S - Belk (solid rumor here for a minute)

Co-DC/LB - Charlie Strong (This is the one I have not seen rumored since last year with Manny)
Cheeky play from Leeds

That would make sense with them watching film on two different DC’s over the weekend as well co coordinators on both sides making for an odd timetable.

Titos donated 20 mill to UT Athletics. one of the most popular vodka brands on the planet. lmao reason 956 why miami isn't close to big boy yet

I think I'm circling the same wagons. Dude is going to be very, very difficult to work for.

He has 3 key characteristics, and as someone who's spent many years in Management + hired/fired my share, to me it goes like this:

1. He's an Alpha Dog. Alpha Dogs need folks working for them who don't challenge that status. They're wary of other Alphas, and if they let others flex Alpha in their corner of the 'business', they still have to reassert themselves periodically over the other guy

2. He's got an insane motor. Dudes with insane motors inherently look down on, judge, or critique those without the same motor. The owner of the business who is first in/last to leave is ALWAYS looking at the parking lots and taking mental notes about who else is or isn't there, and who isn't or isn't grinding as hard as he is. Long term, no one who lacks that motor will last.

3. Dude is an A Player, and Steve Jobs was correct - A Players only like to work with or surround themselves with others on / near that level. They don't suffer fools, buffoons, or the inexperienced very well.

This means whoever works for a guy with these character traits needs to be relatively subordinate, grind like ****, and be sharp/top notch in terms of their capabilities and intelligence.

Finding people who tick all 3 of those boxes is incredibly hard, and of all of them, the motor itself is the most offputting.

Alphas can conceal Alpha behavior as needed, and A Players can compensate for some things with raw talent/capabilities.

But you can't fake motor, and a boss with a significantly higher motor than you is never going to value, respect, and treat you well in the long haul. You're always a slacker if you aren't them.
If you grind like **** but are overtly subordinate I'd be inclined to question your mental state and/or your competence. "Worker bees" don't usually check all the other boxes a supposed Alpha with this mindset is looking for- ie someone with all their own qualities but will also bow down to them.

Sure, a Sabag type might be able to command and get that type or person but Mario is nowhere near that level of cache yet.

Advertisement

I see we are on this stage of grief

Advertisement
I remember when Lane wanted Tee at Ole Miss, but he said no. Guy would be a legit OC imo.
I'd defer to someone that followed that team better but I don't remember him exactly killing it at USC in his only experience as an actual OC.

His name is perpetually 'hot" though so I must be missing something. I do remember from 20 years ago the 1 year he spent with my Steelers as a player that he was well regarded as a smart QB and someone that possibly could have a career in coaching.

I'd defer to someone that followed that team better but I don't remember him exactly killing it at USC in his only experience as an actual OC.

His name is perpetually 'hot" though so I must be missing something. I do remember from 20 years ago the 1 year he spent with my Steelers as a player that he was well regarded as a smart QB and someone that possibly could have a career in coaching.

elite recruiter not a great play caller.

He helped modernize the offense. I give him credit for that. But then he called none of the plays. Implementing a scheme and calling plays are two totally different skill sets.

He's called plays 2 seasons in his life. In both seasons, his offenses were top-5 worst in the league. And then he got fired.

Maybe he'll get better as his career develops. Maybe he was just in a stinky situation at Carolina. But contrary to how the board perceives him, NFL HCs seemingly perceive him much different. That's why he'll be a QB coach. Not an OC.
WTF??? The LSU OC hired Brady to revamp the offense ... re-do the play book .. to include aggressive passing plays. In the OC's OWN WORDS .. Brady called plays in critical situations: "Whenever we went to multiple WR sets, bunch sets, 3rd down situations and red zone I would say "Joe .. it's yours" and Joe would take over play calling". What was the result??? in 2018 LSU .. with Burrow and the same 3 WR's ... had 2600 passing yards and 17 passing TD's .. with Brady's plays and play calling .. productivity increased to 5700 PASSING YARDS AND 61 PASSING TD'S and also increased rushing yards by about 500 for the season. LSU ended up in the top 5 in 3rd down conversions and red zone scoring with the top offense in the country. THAT is what Brady's contribution did. Did he do it alone? No ... he did it combined with a talented QB ... who couldn't do squat the year before with the outdated LSU play book and limited play calling the the OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back