So We Know Coley Plans On Keeping A Similar Offense

a vertical passing game to maximize our speed advantage on the outside,

No disrespect, but what speed advantage? Dorsett definitely has wheels, but we´re nowhere near what we used to be. Scott, Lewis, Hurns, Waters, Jones, Carter, Lockhart (ACL); while there is obviously some talent there, none of those guys gives us a speed advantage. Maybe Coley can bring a threat, but IMO we are overrating our WRs, at least in the speed department.

that group is plenty fast to open up a vertical passing game with a QB with a cannon of an arm.

Advertisement
What do you know, another D'onofrio thread!

I'm convinced that the majority of you, even if you watch the games, have no idea what it is you're even looking at.

Some of the **** that gets said on here is gr8 for some laughs.

I laugh at the people who say we never blitzed or played man coverage last season, and 4get all the times that we actually did and got burnt. Or how many times we mixed up coverages and had some youngins blow assignments that lead to HUGE plays. Or how many times we mixed up our fronts and sent different rushers that got picked up and lead to more big plays.

I laugh at those same people who can easily dismiss, early departures, HORRIBLE recruiting from the previous corching staff, injuries, suspensions, lack of depth, and overwhelming youth. Nope, to them any other Corch "________" could've easily had this team in the TOP 20 on D if he just blitzed more LMAO!!!

That defense last year was ******* terrible theres no way around that, but that team was the most physical defense we've put on the field in years. We also had one of our best seasons creating TOs in a long time. Numbers dont tell the whole story, we showed flashes last year of the potential of some of these young guys. The talent is being brought in.

I've said this for months i expect a top 60-50 defense this year depending on how healthy we can stay. That plus our TOP 20 offense will win us the ACC.

86.gif

He only needs to crack the top 75 for Miami to win 10 games and a division title.

One of the worst defenses in the country and Miami was 8 points away from 9 wins.

You can also say we could have lost the GT game.

I think both golden and dorito believe in the bend dont break. I dont know if thats what they ran throughout their time at temple but I hope they adjust cause it really is a bull**** philosophy that wears on your defensive unit from all the yards they give up in hopes the other team coughs up the ball or misses a field goal etc.

Don't forget VT's fumble on the 1 and Glennon's virtual punt to Finnie. We are 2 boneheaded plays from the visitors from being 5-7.

That VT fumble may have been a huge momentum shift, but it didn't define the game IMO. We were just the better team that night.

VT's fumble didn't mean ****. We beat the **** outta those turkeys.

"Bend but don't break," is only a philosophy for lesser-talented teams. I think once AG and OhNofrio see the kind of talent they can accumulate here, that will go out the window. No one would actively choose to cede yards instead of not. No one would choose to let the D get driven upon rather than force a 3 and out. No defensive coach prefers bend but don't break. Sometimes, though, it's the best you can do. Because otherwise, you're breaking without bending at all.

Without knowing their exact 40 times, I'd say Hurns is the only guy of the group that doesn't appear to be fast.

We were 15th in the nation in yards per completion. We were getting behind people for a reason.

Back to Dorito, if he's hoping that guys maturing is what pushes his defense over the top, it won't. Not with this d line. He's going to have to mix things up. We were revolting on defense. I think people are forgetting just how humiliating this defense was. We are talking about the worst defense in the history of Hurricanes football. Here's some bone-chilling numbers on just how bad we were:

86th in Scoring Defense
122nd in Opponent Red Zone Scoring Attempts per Game
121st in Opponent Red Zone Scores per Game (TDs & FGs)
88th in Opponent Red Zone Scoring Percentage (TDs & FGs)

85th in Opponent Offensive Touchdowns per Game
100th in Opponent Offensive Points per Game (Estimated)
116th in Opp 4th Quarter Points/Game
98th in Opponent 2nd Half Points/Game

102nd in Opponent Yards per Play
98th in Opponent Third Down Conversion Percentage
122nd in Opponent First Downs per Game
111th in Opponent Rushing Yards per Game

105th in Opponent Yards per Rush Attempt
83rd in Opponent Completion Percentage
112th in Opponent Passing Yards per Game
119th in Sacks per Game

That looks more like bend and break then bend and don't break especially with those red zone numbers

Advertisement
We really, really sucked.

The good news is - we sure as **** can't get any worse!

That means, we can only get better.

I was as ****ed as everyone else with our defense - but - I have confidence that we'll get better and bigger this year.

Randy - for leaving us in such a hole - needs his *** kicked so far up between his shoulders, that no one will ever again see the back of his head.

I was as ****ed as everyone else with our defense - but - I have confidence that we'll get better and bigger this year.

Randy - for leaving us in such a hole - needs his *** kicked so far up between his shoulders, that no one will ever again see the back of his head.

as bad as randy left us...an bad as he was as a hc...randy is waaayyyy beter than No frio as a DC...it caused pain or me to admit this last yr.....

any competent oc...can draw up an offense that would kill our defense....sometimes we are straight up aligned wrong to the point of being at disadvantages....

a vertical passing game to maximize our speed advantage on the outside,

No disrespect, but what speed advantage? Dorsett definitely has wheels, but we´re nowhere near what we used to be. Scott, Lewis, Hurns, Waters, Jones, Carter, Lockhart (ACL); while there is obviously some talent there, none of those guys gives us a speed advantage. Maybe Coley can bring a threat, but IMO we are overrating our WRs, at least in the speed department.

Our WR's are the best group on the team.

What does that have to do with what I said? Yes our WRs are good. They are not a particularly speedy group, certainly not by Miami standards.

as bad as randy left us...an bad as he was as a hc...randy is waaayyyy beter than No frio as a DC...it caused pain or me to admit this last yr.....

any competent oc...can draw up an offense that would kill our defense....sometimes we are straight up aligned wrong to the point of being at disadvantages....

Even more incredible (and something I have only seen with our defense): sometimes, we aren´t even aligned at all.

Advertisement
We loaded up on outside presence and it will pay off, just not sure how quickly. We were destroyed on the edges last year at times and that should improve a lot this year. We are rich with unproven talent so it remains to be seen but any college team that gets decent pressure from the outside tends to rattle just about any college level QB which should lead ot more TO's, 3rd down mistakes etc. Should help our defense in rankings anyway.

Even more incredible (and something I have only seen with our defense): sometimes, we aren´t even aligned at all.

Agree entirely. Randy was one **** of a defensive coordinator. Dorito hasn't shown me diddlyschitt. I know his team was young etc., but I see other coaches make do with what they have, rather than trying to get their youngsters to do something they can't.

I'm not sold on Coach D yet. He has a lot to demonstrate this season. A lot.

I was really talking about Randy's recruiting black hole he left us with. I shake my head in astonishment when I see his recruiting results.

Advertisement
Back