So We Know Coley Plans On Keeping A Similar Offense

a vertical passing game to maximize our speed advantage on the outside,

No disrespect, but what speed advantage? Dorsett definitely has wheels, but we´re nowhere near what we used to be. Scott, Lewis, Hurns, Waters, Jones, Carter, Lockhart (ACL); while there is obviously some talent there, none of those guys gives us a speed advantage. Maybe Coley can bring a threat, but IMO we are overrating our WRs, at least in the speed department.

Our WR's are the best group on the team. If Carroll can hand out some stickier gloves this year, they will have a field day. The biggest problem is there are not enough footballs to go around. Lewis, Coley, Lockhart, or Dorsett get next to you and they're gone. I just hope Brother Malcolm makes a speedy recovery.

Advertisement
I don't know if we "know" what Coley wants to really do. We know what some summary said he wants to do and maybe a few of his own quotes. We still need to see manifest on the field. Given what his previous exposure was, I'm curious to see how he transitions from what he has been around to what he claims (and we hope) he wants to do.

He only needs to crack the top 75 for Miami to win 10 games and a division title.

One of the worst defenses in the country and Miami was 8 points away from 9 wins.

You can also say we could have lost the GT game.

I think both golden and dorito believe in the bend dont break. I dont know if thats what they ran throughout their time at temple but I hope they adjust cause it really is a bull**** philosophy that wears on your defensive unit from all the yards they give up in hopes the other team coughs up the ball or misses a field goal etc.

Don't forget VT's fumble on the 1 and Glennon's virtual punt to Finnie. We are 2 boneheaded plays from the visitors from being 5-7.

I see the defense significantly improving as in moving up 60 spots but we will still be ranked in the 60s defensively, thats how bad we were last year. The real question is the overall scheme/philosophy of golden and dorito. Is it a legit top 10 defense when you have quality players? Maybe someone with better.X's and O's can understand break it down.

Advertisement
that Temple game looks exactly like our game tape.

Ppl better man up and except the fact that no matter what and who we have on defense, we will be fielding the same junk as last year. Why does everyone think we will make a huge jump? What did everyone see last year to form that conclusion? Green is horrible and chick is average. OP was playing well and if CP stays healthy he will be decent. LB depth is horrid! Outside of DP and RK, who do we have? We lost EJ and GP. Secondary will be straight, but is still very young and we lack no depth. I'm not expecting much out of this group honestly and come season end .. I hope Dorito is canned.

Advertisement
I will reserve judgement on donofrio for a few months. Lets see what this defense can do with the addition of some pass rushers.

I'm curious to see how creative he is with the fronts. D'Onofrio switched between 3 and 4-man fronts more as the season went on.

Hopefully Hamilton and even Kamalu develop so they can bring some length to that group.

Why does everyone think we will make a huge jump? What did everyone see last year to form that conclusion?

Holding the # 8 offense in UNC is nothing to scuff at.
And holding VT to 12 points was a positive.

I think in those two games the defense was the healthiest and deep it was all year.
vs UVA we had 3-4 key players out.

Personally I think this defense makes a big jump in rankings and is a top 40 defense.

Advertisement

No disrespect, but what speed advantage? Dorsett definitely has wheels, but we´re nowhere near what we used to be. Scott, Lewis, Hurns, Waters, Jones, Carter, Lockhart (ACL); while there is obviously some talent there, none of those guys gives us a speed advantage. Maybe Coley can bring a threat, but IMO we are overrating our WRs, at least in the speed department.

Lewis ran a 4.38 in high school and had he not dilocated his ankle he would have been one of our top wide receivers last year. Everyone rags on Waters but if I'm correct he is the one that bombed USF's secondary and out ran an entire Duke Defense. Granted not great teams but they have speed. Also we have this new freshman wide recever named STACY COLEY, KIND OF THE BEST RECEIVER IN FLORIDA. He also runs in the low forty's so Thats four receivers with "Break Away Speed".

Who on the team has Travis Benjamin type speed?

Who had better times than travis benjamin at the combine last year? He had national elite speed. We are fast enough and at least FSU fast.

Dnofrio is going to cost Golden his job if he isn't "moved to greener pastures".

Advertisement
We are fast enough and at least FSU fast.

But that´s just it. That does not = a speed advantage. people are really overating our WR´s speed. OK, I love Herb, and he caught out the USF defense on an offsides penalty and outran a white Duke LB. Of course we have WRs who can go the distance on a defense. Everybody does. We do not have a "speed advantage". Compare the speed of our WRs with that of any mid major and above program and it is nothing to brag about.

I really like our receivers, and think they will take another step forward this season. They´re definitely one of our strengths. But that doesn´t make them a fast group. Sorry.

If you're looking for the speed advantage Miami used to have over EVERYBODY back in the day then you're going to be disappointed. Things have caught up a bit in that dept.

Our recievers are plenty fast though and when they master their routes, they can be one of, if not the best units in the nation, IMO.

Without knowing their exact 40 times, I'd say Hurns is the only guy of the group that doesn't appear to be fast.

We were 15th in the nation in yards per completion. We were getting behind people for a reason.

Back to Dorito, if he's hoping that guys maturing is what pushes his defense over the top, it won't. Not with this d line. He's going to have to mix things up. We were revolting on defense. I think people are forgetting just how humiliating this defense was. We are talking about the worst defense in the history of Hurricanes football. Here's some bone-chilling numbers on just how bad we were:

86th in Scoring Defense
122nd in Opponent Red Zone Scoring Attempts per Game
121st in Opponent Red Zone Scores per Game (TDs & FGs)
88th in Opponent Red Zone Scoring Percentage (TDs & FGs)

85th in Opponent Offensive Touchdowns per Game
100th in Opponent Offensive Points per Game (Estimated)
116th in Opp 4th Quarter Points/Game
98th in Opponent 2nd Half Points/Game

102nd in Opponent Yards per Play
98th in Opponent Third Down Conversion Percentage
122nd in Opponent First Downs per Game
111th in Opponent Rushing Yards per Game

105th in Opponent Yards per Rush Attempt
83rd in Opponent Completion Percentage
112th in Opponent Passing Yards per Game
119th in Sacks per Game

Last edited:

Lewis ran a 4.38 in high school and had he not dilocated his ankle he would have been one of our top wide receivers last year. Everyone rags on Waters but if I'm correct he is the one that bombed USF's secondary and out ran an entire Duke Defense. Granted not great teams but they have speed. Also we have this new freshman wide recever named STACY COLEY, KIND OF THE BEST RECEIVER IN FLORIDA. He also runs in the low forty's so Thats four receivers with "Break Away Speed".

Who on the team has Travis Benjamin type speed?

There arent many guys in the NFL that have Travis Benjamin speed. I can only think of a few.

Advertisement
Back