So, Syracuse isn't horrible......

Not sure if you guys watched the game but Clemson played horribly.

Syracuse had several drives that were given to them by Clemson. I think on one drive they had 2 PIs and a DB hold that lead to a Syracuse TD. They also had them pinned back inside their 20 and on 3rd down they had a roughing the passer penalty to keep the drive alive. They refused to double #8 and were holding him and trying to get physical with him with a smaller DB right off the line. That DB also left the game concussed, but I couldn't understand why they did not change up their strategy. it was just dumb. This WR is one of the most physical WR in college and has more yards than anyone else and yet your game plan is to out physical him with a smaller cb and then you stick to it time and time after he was beating you. Syracuse has two good WR that seemed to be very similar and this game was nothing but big play after penalty after big play and no adjustments. Another one of the Syracuse TDs was a completely blown coverage to a wide open guy.

When Syracuse DT knocked Bryant out, basically spun him to the ground and he hit head first the next QB came in and they had no confidence in him and they became completely one dimensional and they couldn't absorb their penalties with a run first O, They even tried a fake punt and fudged that in the 4th.

Clemson had like 7 sacks and Syracuse had like 4 but Syracuse was blitzing a lot because Bryant came into the game showing a noticeable limp and started missing his receivers when pressured. He was also totally unable to avoid guys . At least two of those sacks including the one he got knocked out it was like he was about to run but just couldn't.

Clemson played absolutely horrible and basically gave them this game because of stupid penalties, a stupid game plan on D, being one dimensional on offense and being too over confident to make in game adjustments that were obviously needed.

The only think I saw from Syracuse was a great WR, a good WR, a good DT and a tough QB and tons of luck.

Advertisement
Ideal spot here. Syracuse coming off a huge home win in a close game now has to go on the road. Based on the highlights I've seen Toledo is a more talented team, fwiw. Their top WR Ishmael wouldn't see the field at Miami, they can't run the ball and they rely heavily on Dungey making plays outside of structure.

I predict 31-13.

Ishmael would start at Miami so hating isn't necessary. Just show him respect and stop him however we can.

Wash, rinse, repeat. There are no "easy" games left, both UVA and Cuse will bring a challenge. I fully expect the kid from Cuse to have about 200yds receiving, but I also fully believe we'll "tough" out a victory. This team is just that, "tough", not something we've been able to say about the program in a long time.
We had no business winning yesterday, you can call it luck, but if not for a BS call we wouldn't have even needed the catch.
GT's QB had 19 carries for 18 yards!

Had no business winning yesterday? WTF game did you watch? We should have won that game by two touchdowns.

Ideal spot here. Syracuse coming off a huge home win in a close game now has to go on the road. Based on the highlights I've seen Toledo is a more talented team, fwiw. Their top WR Ishmael wouldn't see the field at Miami, they can't run the ball and they rely heavily on Dungey making plays outside of structure.

I predict 31-13.
They're going to play at our weaknesses, though. Would love to see Manny do what Arizona St did to Washington last night. Guess we can talk about it during the week.

On defense, they basically have a good DT and LB. Problem is we haven't really done anything to attack Dbackfields so far.

Syracuse's game against Clemson is a godsend from a look standpoint. They tossed everything out there and I doubt they'll be able to create too many wrinkles in a short, road week, as you said.

Of course we have to show up to beat them. Of course we have to take them seriously. That has always been the case. Our 2001 championship team almost laid an egg playing at BC when they didn't show up. TBH, if we play at all like we are capable, I'm really not worried about Syracuse. But yeah, there is always the worry that our heads won't be in the game. For me, with this group of kids and coaches, that worry is a tad diminished.

Advertisement
Not sure if you guys watched the game but Clemson played horribly.

Syracuse had several drives that were given to them by Clemson. I think on one drive they had 2 PIs and a DB hold that lead to a Syracuse TD. They also had them pinned back inside their 20 and on 3rd down they had a roughing the passer penalty to keep the drive alive. They refused to double #8 and were holding him and trying to get physical with him with a smaller DB right off the line. That DB also left the game concussed, but I couldn't understand why they did not change up their strategy. it was just dumb. This WR is one of the most physical WR in college and has more yards than anyone else and yet your game plan is to out physical him with a smaller cb and then you stick to it time and time after he was beating you. Syracuse has two good WR that seemed to be very similar and this game was nothing but big play after penalty after big play and no adjustments. Another one of the Syracuse TDs was a completely blown coverage to a wide open guy.

When Syracuse DT knocked Bryant out, basically spun him to the ground and he hit head first the next QB came in and they had no confidence in him and they became completely one dimensional and they couldn't absorb their penalties with a run first O, They even tried a fake punt and fudged that in the 4th.

Clemson had like 7 sacks and Syracuse had like 4 but Syracuse was blitzing a lot because Bryant came into the game showing a noticeable limp and started missing his receivers when pressured. He was also totally unable to avoid guys . At least two of those sacks including the one he got knocked out it was like he was about to run but just couldn't.

Clemson played absolutely horrible and basically gave them this game because of stupid penalties, a stupid game plan on D, being one dimensional on offense and being too over confident to make in game adjustments that were obviously needed.

The only think I saw from Syracuse was a great WR, a good WR, a good DT and a tough QB and tons of luck.

Swinney insisting on trotting Bryant out there on one leg was similar to what Rick did with Walton. Bryant was useless on one leg. Their best backup QB is the 3rd team guy anyway, and they didn't use him.

Devo Babers, with his plastic wig, can coach up some offense.

But they won the Clemson game because they kept Clemson from getting any offense going. If we keep running this basic offense and don't test them deep and intermediate, then we're in for another dog fight.

Of course we have to show up to beat them. Of course we have to take them seriously. That has always been the case. Our 2001 championship team almost laid an egg playing at BC when they didn't show up. TBH, if we play at all like we are capable, I'm really not worried about Syracuse. But yeah, there is always the worry that our heads won't be in the game. For me, with this group of kids and coaches, that worry is a tad diminished.

I don't think it's just a "show up and roll them" type of game because Dungey is an excellent QB who can run and throw, and they've got good dangerous receivers. If Knowles plays, they will score.

I'd like to see us pound Dungey because he's shown some fragility in the past. He's one of those guys who might be too tough for his own good. A well-placed Norton splash can do wonders here.

Clemson's offense was a shadow of itself with Bryant hobbled and eventually pulled out of the game after taking a blow to the head. And I don't know what was up with Clemson's defense. But they played flat and were out of position on several key plays. I thought I saw Robert Knowles out there playing for Clemson on one Cuze TD pass that no one covered.

I think we handle the Orangemen like we handled Duke. Just beat them with sound football.

Clemson definitely didn't show up to play. But that SU team showed it can beat anyone if you don't show up. There are no gimmies in the ACC anymore. It's a grind every week. Closest thing to a gimmie is Pitt this year.

Agree. If we come out flat or have our own injuries and mental errors (Clemson had a LOT of those, especially their DBs), this is a team that can beat us, no doubt. All I'm saying is that we will win if we take care of business, which I think we will.

Advertisement
Syracuse is very similar to Toledo, both offensively and defensively. They'll score some points, but we should be able to light them up.

Homer will have a huge game against them. If we take care of the ball, I'd expect a 42-21 or 42-28 type win

I think we match up way better against cuse than GT. Our ends can get loose and get back to double digit TFL against this OL. This is a big chance for Dean to have his coming out party. We'll definitely need redwine back for this game however. Outside of their LBs, I'm not terribly worried about their D causing any major issues

Not taking them lightly, but this game to me seems like the perfect matchup to register our first blowout at home. Yes, the SU QB can sling it, but I think it plays to our strength as a Defense with our front 7. Stop the run, make them 1 dimensional, double up on the second coming of the Missile Ismael, spy the QB, and let the D Line eat!

Advertisement

I predict 31-13.

Ishmael would start at Miami so hating isn't necessary. Just show him respect and stop him however we can.

Does he run anything other than post / corner / streaks? Just seemed to run deep and out muscle people when I was watching.

i'm in the 31-13 camp. think we come out and start strong and put it together. mixing running homer and the passing game. hopefully get delaney and redwine back and get some turnovers. heat will be an issue. different than playing in 72 degrees no humidity.

**** **** ****!! NOW Syracuse.... wow, the Orangemen have a pair of good WRs no doubt, BUT our front 7 we give them fits!! Like someone else said, they are a different team away from the Dome!! "ONE WEEK AT A TIME" This is the game we need for our offense to explode and dominant the game!!

Advertisement
Devo Babers, with his plastic wig, can coach up some offense.

But they won the Clemson game because they kept Clemson from getting any offense going. If we keep running this basic offense and don't test them deep and intermediate, then we're in for another dog fight.

This.

Completely different offense. Our secondary is going to be tested. SU has one of the best WRs in the nation in Ishmael. Guy has 62 catches for 802 yards this season already. If we don't have Pickney, Delaney and Redwine, it's going to be a tough game. Never said we wouldn't win. It'll be a tough game.

1. GT was a "completely different offense" and they were kept in check, just like everyone else.

2. Mr. Babers is a great offensive coach and he knows how to coach an offense. That is for sure. Ishmael (local) can play and will get the ball.

3. Our secondary has issues, that is obvious. Those issues were there this week and prior. The D has held teams in check.

4. Perhaps our offense can show up and play for 4 quarters. Cuse doesn't have a top-25 D (38th in Total D, 55th in Scoring D). Now it is time to they roll. Who is going to stop Homer, Herndon, Langham and Berrios? Does Cuse have the speed to stop Thomas?

We did trail the entire game yesterday!

Completely different offense. Our secondary is going to be tested. SU has one of the best WRs in the nation in Ishmael. Guy has 62 catches for 802 yards this season already. If we don't have Pickney, Delaney and Redwine, it's going to be a tough game. Never said we wouldn't win. It'll be a tough game.

1. GT was a "completely different offense" and they were kept in check, just like everyone else.

2. Mr. Babers is a great offensive coach and he knows how to coach an offense. That is for sure. Ishmael (local) can play and will get the ball.

3. Our secondary has issues, that is obvious. Those issues were there this week and prior. The D has held teams in check.

4. Perhaps our offense can show up and play for 4 quarters. Cuse doesn't have a top-25 D (38th in Total D, 55th in Scoring D). Now it is time to they roll. Who is going to stop Homer, Herndon, Langham and Berrios? Does Cuse have the speed to stop Thomas?

We did trail the entire game yesterday!

yes but we dominated the game statistically. we whiffed on several red zone possessions (settled for three) and spotted them a fluke 7 points on that onside kick. should have won by a decent margin.

Advertisement
Back