So...did we overrate King?

Advertisement
King needs to run more. He clearly has alot of limitations throwing

Gotta make better reads on the option runs and hold it more often to keep the defense on their toes

Lashlee also has to play call better

King threw 4 TDs today in a game that was marginal at best for him. He's got an amazing ability to extend plays with his legs which always keeps defenses off balance. Not a very good game for him but still worlds better than we've had in years. WRs like Wiggins aren't helping him one bit either. Neither is his OL.

Yeah I mean it’s not like Pitt came in with one of the best Ds in football and we have a mediocre at best oline and wr core... it’s definitely king sucks, Jesus get some **** perspective people

Advertisement
It's hard to figure out what our WRs do out there, because it ain't much.

Our last game of last season, we got shut out by Louisiana Tech.

Now, we score 30+ as a floor. That’s progress and King is the biggest reason.
Bit of both - I could have made three of those TD throws.

Lashlee's scheme clearly has some explosive plays hidden away in it - we seem to force teams into a busted coverage TD at least once a game.

I think Lashlee will get it fixed because his track record as an OC. Lashlee has moved the ball with a passing QB at SMU and a running QB at Auburn. King is coachable. In spite of King’s accuracy issues, the Canes still scored 31 points.

I would have liked to see Mallory get more targets, but that’s on the QB because he was open today. This is fixable . Lashlee will speak to King about that.

Advertisement
He did look jittery a couple of times, even when there was no pressure he got happy feet.

also I feel like he makes the wrong decision on the zone reads 50% of the time

The defenses in the P5 are so much better than the AAC. Also the coaching and scouting and game planning is better. The athletes are faster.

Also our receivers and line are bad

The missing ingredient are plays that attack the hash to middle area of the field.

I don’t like short throws to the sideline for outside receivers.They allow the corner to play down hill and jump routes for long returns. Saw it twice today. I prefer if we throw to the outside it after the corner has had to turn his hips.

@Lance Roffers said in preseason the passing game would mostly be outside the hashes and that was accurate. I was hoping Lashlee would show more but he is who he is.

King is fine but we could use him better giving him easier throws. We never get the rac yards in the middle because we don’t commit to attacking there.

He is adjusting to ACC talent but the oline needs to be better too. The Covid mess is showing itself.

We are light years ahead of last year. We have scored 31 again on a the type of defense that dominated us last year.

Be patient and enjoy the win. Everybody has gotten better except for the upperclassmen wide outs.

Advertisement
We want him to be better than he is, but the O line has to help a bit more and lets be honest - will our receivers ever play on Sundays. Also, most elite offenses now use the backs just as much as receivers(glad to see Cam'Ron get used that way). I think the key is decent first down yardage so play action means something. Otherwise, they come after him and there's only a few QBs that short that can do it. One plays in Seattle.

Advertisement
Our last game of last season, we got shut out by Louisiana Tech.

Now, we score 30+ as a floor. That’s progress and King is the biggest reason.
EXACTLY.

These are the types of teams that embarrassed us last year.

Now we are beating them comfortably while leaving MANY plays on the field. We have come a long way but still have a ways to go.

Good college QB, no way is he an NFL QB just like the scouts have been saying.

Problem right now is he has lost his confidence and does not have the time go through his reads.

He’s a mediocre passer and he’s small. He has a lot of balls tipped or batted down. Our wrs are trash so that doesn’t help him either

Advertisement
Back