So.. about our WR recruiting..

Had to chime in here

Logically speaking, how is landing what will be a top 5 class come NSD not elite? Being in the top 5% of something usually distinguishes u as elite

And yes, we have a large class to this point. But go down the list, quality players up and down it. Players most D-1 coaches would kill for. I'll be one of the first to criticize when appropriate, but our staff as a whole can recruit

Advertisement
How easily people forget where we're coming from here.

Y'all must still think we actually skated too. Or we haven't been mediocre for 10 years. But Golden should just snap his fingers and get every SFLA kid to tell Urban Meyer and Saban to go **** themselves? How many games have Urban and Saban lost over the last 10 years combined? Look it up. And if you still think the same then you're delusional.

We're doing a **** fine job with the class we got. Sure, I'd like to be keeping all the kids like Dixon home at The U, but all things considered, I'm not gonna sit here whining like a ***** if they "commit" elsewhere. I put that in quotations because it's still December of 2013. **** always gets interesting end of January anyways. I've heard stories of Urban Meyer smashing cell phones before.

But yeah, we're The U and we're supposed to get all these kids no matter what. Rabble, rabble, rabble! They took our jobs!

I mean its not the end of the world if we don't land another WR this class. With Coley, Dorsett, Waters, Scott (healthy and hopefully determined), Lewis (fully healthy) add in Berrios and Griffin, the position going to be extremely crowded.

ALSO You have a 5 star recruit in Ridley next year who shows lots of interest in us. Good things happens to those who waits sometimes.

MBecks,

You see what's happening again, right? There is a clear division that is growing. And, in this thread, what you're seeing is the side that takes umbrage at the mere suggestion that we've performed less than optimal in some way. Without question, not landing Dixon, Lane, or Rudolph is a huge fail, especially considering that Golden himself as cited the lack of depth we have at WR several times this year. WRs may grow on trees, but apparently we don't have access to that type of tree, b/c we're actually thin at the position--especially when it comes to elite, top-end talent, which I think only Coley qualifies as.

These dolts are the same dolts we saw back in the Grassy days when Coker completely struck out at WR and ended up playing a punter as a backup WR. They just have different screen names, but it's the same M.O. They'll talk about sanctions for the next three years, as an excuse for recruiting, and then they'll move onto other inane excuses for Golden's inability to get us back to elite.

Advertisement
Without question, not landing Dixon, Lane, or Rudolph is a huge fail, especially considering that Golden himself as cited the lack of depth we have at WR several times this year.

There is absolutely no other way to slice it other than this.

What kills me is that when people call this a "fail," everyone jumps to the conclusion that the one criticizing is calling this class a collective failure or claiming that Golden is a sub-par recruiter.

Everyone knows it's a strong class, everyone knows Golden is an above average recruiter, but holes still persist (at WR included).

I'll reserve judgement until after the smoke clears on signing day, but I'm not holding my breath on Dixon, Lane, or Rudolph ending up in this class. And if the apologists don't acknowledge that as a fail, your expectations need to be altered.

MBecks,

You see what's happening again, right? There is a clear division that is growing. And, in this thread, what you're seeing is the side that takes umbrage at the mere suggestion that we've performed less than optimal in some way. Without question, not landing Dixon, Lane, or Rudolph is a huge fail, especially considering that Golden himself as cited the lack of depth we have at WR several times this year. WRs may grow on trees, but apparently we don't have access to that type of tree, b/c we're actually thin at the position--especially when it comes to elite, top-end talent, which I think only Coley qualifies as.

These dolts are the same dolts we saw back in the Grassy days when Coker completely struck out at WR and ended up playing a punter as a backup WR. They just have different screen names, but it's the same M.O. They'll talk about sanctions for the next three years, as an excuse for recruiting, and then they'll move onto other inane excuses for Golden's inability to get us back to elite.

Can't compare the wr situation to Coker's. Back then, he had only a handful of wrs...Next season, we could have 10 plus, with one being elite.
By the way, how many elite wrs did we have in our last championship season? All I can remember is Andre.

I must have missed where we have a 6'5 WR committ in Langham who has an FSU offer, and probably as much upside as any WR in the state.

Also have another 6'3 WR comitted in Brady who has high upside also a talented player.

Then we hav arguably the best slot WR in America committed, who proved his atleticism at the opening having one of the highest Sparq ratings there.

Advertisement
2012 'Bama: Outside of Cooper...name the receiving core
2011 'Bama: Name the receiving core
2010 Auburn: Name the receiving core
2009 'Bama: Outside of Julio...name the receiving core
2008 Florida: Outside of Harvin...name the receiving core
2007 LSU: Name the receiving core
2006 Florida: Name the receiving core
2005 Texas: Name the receiving core
2004 'SC: Sick receiving talent...touche
2003 LSU: name the receiving core (don't say Dwayne Bowe...he had 9 catches for 100 yards on the year)
2002 OSU: Name the receiving core
2001 Miami: Outside of Andre Johnson...name the receiving core
2000 OU: Name the receiving core

Go...

Wiat, who had NFL success?

Nah, just name the guys on those teams who were catching the ball. It's a VERY short list that have experienced NFL success.

I

Honestly bro nobody on their is relevant except MAYBE Riley Cooper.................... if that's the best you can do then yeah it tells it all. Give me an elite o and d line and we win titles

Exactly

College stardom doesn't necessarily have anything to do with NFL success though, so that really ain't a good indicator.

But a lot of those teams had NFL guys on it. For example UF in 08' off the top of my head had Hernandez, Riley Cooper, Murphy, and David Nelson who all made NFL rosters and have done well, Hernandez was an all-pro. Even the scrub of the core, Deonte Thompson, is on an NFL roster. The same holds true for a lot of those teams you have listed. Point being, you need NFL talent at that position and others to win titles, lets not get crazy now.

MBecks,

We have added Brady, Berrios, and Langham. Will hopefully get Griffin in. Add that to Coley (soph), Waters (jr), M. Lewis (rs soph), D. Jones (rs soph), R. Scott (sr), Dorsett (sr). That is 9-10 (depending on Griffin) wr's that can get thrown into the rotation, so we won't be thin at the position next year

JC Jackson, (we're in very good shape to land him) while being brought in primarily as a db, is a top level wr prospect as well that can also be used on Offense if our numbers at wr thin again next year due to injury. ****, I wouldn't even be surprised if he plays a little bit of offense next year regardless of our injury situation. I think this kid is that special.

Last edited:
MBecks,

In this current class there are 4 WR committed 2 of those WR are 4 stars (Griffin and Berrios), Langham (a 4 star according to ESPN and has an FSU offer) and Brady a 3 star with has offers from Florida and FSU (according to Rivals). While I agree with everyone that missing out on Rudolph, Lane and Dixon is disappointing, can we please stop acting like the coaching staff has not addressed the WR position or failed to add quality players in this class.

MBecks,

A key difference here is that Berrios, Langham and Brady are already in the fold. Golden hasn't put all his eggs in one basket. The three guys being brought in might not be as good as Dixon/Lane/Rudolph (we won't truly know that for 2-3 years) but they certainly aren't Brian Monroe. Miami won't be seeing a punter lining up at WR under Golden's tenure, of that I am sure.

Has Miami missed on Dixon/Lane/Rudolph? Yep, they have and it hurts. At the same time, I recognize that excellent WR talent is also being brought in with this class. At this point, I just don't see missing on Dixon/Lane/Rudolph as a massive failure that is program crippling as some want to imply. If that makes me an "apologist", then so be it. I think of it as being objective. There is good and bad with Miami's WR recruiting.

Advertisement
Why does everybody keep saying that we "missed" on Lane and Rudolph???

Still got some time boys. Both (Rudolph especially) have been warming up to us lately. Remember, Stacy Coley seemed like a lost cause this time last year...

Last edited:

Still got some time boys. Both (Rudolph especially) have been warming up to us lately. Remember, Stacy Coley seemed like a lost cause this time last year...

We only got Coley because we hired Coley from FSU. So unless we're about to hire another position coach that Rudolph/Lane is extremely coach to, don't even compare the situations.

Advertisement

We only got Coley because we hired Coley from FSU. So unless we're about to hire another position coach that Rudolph/Lane is extremely coach to, don't even compare the situations.

That is incorrect, McDonald played a key role in his recruitment and kept Miami in the game.

I really just dont understand some of you guys. Its almost embarassing at this point. To say that this class is not elite (after getting the commitments of Gayot and Hester), is just being stupid. Period.

First off, Lane, Dixon and Rudolph are NOT elite in my eyes. ELITE? Dalvin Cook is the ONLY ELITE player left on our board. ELITE to me is a player that has so much talent everyone in the nation will know them by name as a T-Fr. Like Duke and Coley. Cook is that guy. Sammy Watkins was that guy. Patrick Peterson was that guy. Julio Jones. Adrian Peterson. Nkemdiche. ELITE guys. Lane/Dixon/Rudolph/Sony will make impacts but not ELITE impacts.

Second off, we are sitting here arguing over our WRs now? Let say we had gotten Dixon. Whos cookies was he gonna take out of Dorsett, Waters, Coley, and Scott? (And yes, I think Scott is coming back like crack this year.) I ask the same question with Lane. MAYBE Rudolph could have stolen Scotts shine. But at the end of the day, we are in GREAT hands with Brady, Berrios, and Langham. And if we get Griffin? You can close up shop as far as im concerned.

I have said this MANY times before and I will continue to say it..Stop $hitting on this class JUST TO MAKE YOUR POINT that losing Cook/Sony/Rudolph/Dixon/Lane hurts. It doesnt KILL the success of this class. IF they all stick, I will applaud Al and the staff for a job well done.

Advertisement
Back