So.. about our WR recruiting..

People here in Homestead will say that Herb Waters was way better than Lane....

Last edited:
Advertisement
People here will say that Herb waters is better than Lane....

A bunch of people here claimed Herb Waters was better than every WR on the team before this season started, including Phillip Dorsett, you know, the guy who put up ridiculous #'s in 2012. Clowns.

well this thread is all over the place. Wow.

A few things:

1. averaging 4.0 yards per carry + is expected. That is not something to be proud of. If you wanna be elite in CFB you need dudes near 5 ypc. Duke is our only elite RB right now. He's injury prone. We need more. Dallas is a nice role player. I don't feel Edwards can play for an elite team, at least not with his current abilities (he needs to totally overhaul his game). We need more elite RBs. Yearby is a great start, we need more.

2. Our WR depth is not good enough to compete with the FSU's of the world. For those saying all the great things about this past year, I understand.. we won 9 games. Is that what you want? 9 wins? I'm rooting for 13 by Jan 1. Then another 2 to kick off 2015. 15 wins. Our WRs are not good enough to win 15 games. You have to get elite players to win 15 games.

3. If you wanna win 15 games, you can't get Yearby (whom is a stud in his own right) but then miss on the other 4 elite offensive players down here. Especially when it's not a 1 year thing... it's a trend.

4. Our own boy Steve Walsh, has written us off for his top kid. Travis Rudolph is down to 4 and we aren't in it according to his coach. Guess it's Ermon Lane or bust down here going forward. Not exactly how we had this thing planned out before the season began... huh?

I like this class a lot. Think the defensive side is **** good, especially if we get JC. Offensive side is good, especially at OL and QB (love Kaaya).

That said I can't call the offensive side of the ball complete because we most likely getting 1 of Sony, Cook, Yearby, Dixon, Rudolph, Lane. We have to do better keeping the best local playmakers around, think the staff would say the same. Ideally we land 3, maybe 4 of those guys.

Hopefully Gray somehow makes it in because he's up there with those listed.

Well obviously its because WRs are all awesome unless they come here, then they suck and we should have gotten someone else.

This is nothing new by the way. Anyone remember the Preston Parker saga? How Coker missed on WRs for like 3 years, despite coming off back to back MNC runs? How about all those great super 5 star blue chip WR classes with greats like Ryan Moore, Jolla and Lance Leggett?

LMAO, Santana Moss was a nobody who Butch brought here on a track scholie.

And For the Record, Allen Hurns, who had almost TWICE the receiving yards this year, as the HIGHEST OSU WR, was a 3 star kid when we brought him in, and coming off a major injury.

Speed grows on trees in South Florida. Langham and Brady have all the tools to be as good as any of these other kids like Lane, Dixon or Rudolph, and honestly, NONE of them, are Coley/Watkins type elite level guys.

Advertisement

A few things:

1. averaging 4.0 yards per carry + is expected. That is not something to be proud of. If you wanna be elite in CFB you need dudes near 5 ypc. Duke is our only elite RB right now. He's injury prone. We need more. Dallas is a nice role player. I don't feel Edwards can play for an elite team, at least not with his current abilities (he needs to totally overhaul his game). We need more elite RBs. Yearby is a great start, we need more.

2. Our WR depth is not good enough to compete with the FSU's of the world. For those saying all the great things about this past year, I understand.. we won 9 games. Is that what you want? 9 wins? I'm rooting for 13 by Jan 1. Then another 2 to kick off 2015. 15 wins. Our WRs are not good enough to win 15 games. You have to get elite players to win 15 games.

3. If you wanna win 15 games, you can't get Yearby (whom is a stud in his own right) but then miss on the other 4 elite offensive players down here. Especially when it's not a 1 year thing... it's a trend.

4. Our own boy Steve Walsh, has written us off for his top kid. Travis Rudolph is down to 4 and we aren't in it according to his coach. Guess it's Ermon Lane or bust down here going forward. Not exactly how we had this thing planned out before the season began... huh?

Disagree with that. Nothing wrong with our WRs or the depth, we just sustained an unreal amount of injuries at that position. FSU probably has worse depth at that position then us, there top 3 just stayed healthy all year long. And there is not much difference between a Greene, Benjamin, Shaw top 3 and Coley, Dorsett, Hurns. Scott and Waters is more proven depth then they have.

Yearby isn't a local blue chip RB? Oh okay.

The top 2 guys down here are Michel and Cook. Yearby's great, and I love him. But you need more than 1 RB, especially when that dude is 180 pounds. UM needs some bucks at RB, and Michel and Cook are those bucks. Collins was that guy last year. They are physically ready to play FCS football right now.

We've now missed on 3 of the top 4 RB's in 2 years down here. We specifically wanted bigger backs, which Golden said himself. We got a guy who is a real 'Cane but is slight as ****. Our RB depth is abysmal right now.

Abysmal?

You don't think that's a bit of a stretch?

Having Duke Johnson, Joseph Yearby, Brandon Powell, Dallas Crawford, and Gus Edwards is "absymal" running back depth?

Some of you folks need to get a grip.
472.gif

Rudolph is Coley / Watkins level. Lane could be in 2 years. Dixon will be a playmaker, although I suspect more in the Dorsett mold. Would have liked one of them.

A few things:

Disagree with that. Nothing wrong with our WRs or the depth, we just sustained an unreal amount of injuries at that position. FSU probably has worse depth at that position then us, there top 3 just stayed healthy all year long. And there is not much difference between a Greene, Benjamin, Shaw top 3 and Coley, Dorsett, Hurns. Scott and Waters is more proven depth then they have.

Also FSU has NO ONE behind their top 3. Two got kicked off team & one is hurt for season. Freshman and a 5* bust behind Greene, Shaw, and Benjamin (two of whom leave)

Advertisement
Rudolph is Coley / Watkins level. Lane could be in 2 years. Dixon will be a playmaker, although I suspect more in the Dorsett mold. Would have liked one of them.

Not close IMO. Would want them all (Rudolph, Dixon, Lane) but none of them are in the Watkins/Coley catagory.

Was Stacy Coley "required?" No. Does he make everything easier for everbody else on the offense and everything harder for everybody on defense? Yes. So what the **** are you talking about again? It's okay to not get elite players in your backyard because Alabama only had Mark Ingram and Eddie Lacy?

1) Yes, Stacy Coley was required. We had no one like him. No one to stretch the field and no one who had his gamebreaking talent. No one on our offense who had the ability to take a 3 yard pass and turn it into an 80 yard score. Now we have that. He's on the team. Do you want more? Of Course. Is it necessary or required to win a national championship? No.

2) My point about the running backs was to illustrate they don't have to by 5 star talents to contribute like 5 star talents. So what if we miss on Cook? I'm more than confident that Gus, Dallas, Duke, and Yearby can be solid ball carriers next year for us.

3) We have satisfied our needs and then some. We are losing these games because we can't stop a nosebleed. Because we can't stop teams from ramming the ball down our throats. Because we give QB's ages to find open receivers. I could care less about the "home run threats". Are they fun to watch? I guess so. I enjoy winning. I'm not getting bent out of shape over somebody who doesn't aid what we sorely lack.

Go look at Sony's new highlights. His burst is gone.

Yearby>Sony

Did his senior highlights drop? Link that shizz...

Sony had some moments this year where you can see a glimmer of what was and what was supposed to be. But you may be right. Im not sure Yearby is better now as he has his own issues and wont be done rehabbing til april. Hope he is back cutting full speed that is one of his better traits.

Was Stacy Coley "required?" No. Does he make everything easier for everbody else on the offense and everything harder for everybody on defense? Yes. So what the **** are you talking about again? It's okay to not get elite players in your backyard because Alabama only had Mark Ingram and Eddie Lacy?

1) Yes, Stacy Coley was required. We had no one like him. No one to stretch the field and no one who had his gamebreaking talent. No one on our offense who had the ability to take a 3 yard pass and turn it into an 80 yard score. Now we have that. He's on the team. Do you want more? Of Course. Is it necessary or required to win a national championship? No.

2) My point about the running backs was to illustrate they don't have to by 5 star talents to contribute like 5 star talents. So what if we miss on Cook? I'm more than confident that Gus, Dallas, Duke, and Yearby can be solid ball carriers next year for us.

3) We have satisfied our needs and then some. We are losing these games because we can't stop a nosebleed. Because we can't stop teams from ramming the ball down our throats. Because we give QB's ages to find open receivers. I could care less about the "home run threats". Are they fun to watch? I guess so. I enjoy winning. I'm not getting bent out of shape over somebody who doesn't aid what we sorely lack.

1. Agree

2. For the same reason you say Coley was required then Cook should be the same. He is that electric, he changes games the way Coley does. When you have 3 studs in Cook, Michel, Yearby, with our RB depth you need 2. I don't know what the **** happened with the Michel recruitment but that obviously didn't end well. I'm happy with Yearby but missing on 2 out of 3 is a disappointment

3. Its a good to great balanced class. We add JC Jackson the defensive class is as good as it gets. IMO, this class would be almost perfect with 2 more playmakers on offense.

Advertisement

And we don't have anybody like Cook or Sony. Sony is the bigger bruising back who can handle a ton of carries with good speed which we do not have, and Cook is faster than Duke. Duke's great, but he gets caught from behind a lot. Cook is the guy who takes a 3 yard screen pass for 80 yards, or does similar things to Duke when Duke is out for a breather. So going by your logic, Cook and Sony are "required." Even though our passing game would have been fine without Coley, he was "required" because he added a dimension nobody else on the team had. Just like Cook and Sony. And now we're not getting them, but it's all fine and dandy because Alabama had Mark Ingram and Eddie Lacy. It's all okay because Alabama won a title without guys like Sony and Cook. LOL, wut?

Your point about the RB's was non sensical.

We just got blown out by DUKE a couple weeks ago. And people said they have better talent. We need ALL THE TALENT we can get! We cant think of bama til we start smacking Duke up. RIght now they dominating us into submission. I dont know what people are saying because the same people were saying we lack talent, dont blame the coaches. So we lack talent dont blame coaches, but when we miss talent, dont blame them either we got Coley.

WE NEED EVERY DAM DROP OF TALENT, Either to stop teams or if we keep dorito like some want, we need 5 more Coleys/Dukes to keep scoring because both got hurt in duke game and we looked neutered on offense.

Luckily we got Coley who is a superstar in the making. I would also say Malcom Lewis was a pretty **** good prospect in his own right. He looked the part to pre ankle injury.

We really needed one of the top three guys this year to turn this class from a solid one to a great one. I like the upside of our guys but we could use one guy to come in next year and play.

Advertisement
I'm aware that we can get everyone and that you don't have to trade one recruit for another...

BUT...

Recruiting Agenda:

1) DT's (Check)
2) Pass Rush (Check)
3) QB's (check)
4) DB's (Check)
5) O-Line (Check)

All else was gravy. Why would I be ****ed about Cook being lost? Cuz he's from Dade and he's the best back? Whatever.

When Coley was seen as a FSU/UF lean. Posters on ITU were saying he was not a big loss. That he wouldn't play right away. might have to red shirt, Lane was a lock and just as good or better, etc/

Now is Coley is a game changer.

Go look at Sony's new highlights. His burst is gone.

Yearby>Sony

Did his senior highlights drop? Link that shizz...

Sony had some moments this year where you can see a glimmer of what was and what was supposed to be. But you may be right. Im not sure Yearby is better now as he has his own issues and wont be done rehabbing til april. Hope he is back cutting full speed that is one of his better traits.

The think with Yearby is that his injury shouldnt really change his running style or speed. It was a fracture. When you get into knees, and ACLs, that is when a RBs cuts and speed are never the same. We were very lucky Duke's injury was the ankle and not the knee, and we were very lucky Yearby was the ankle and not the knee.

When Coley was seen as a FSU/UF lean. Posters on ITU were saying he was not a big loss. That he wouldn't play right away. might have to red shirt, Lane was a lock and just as good or better, etc/

Now is Coley is a game changer.

Nobody ever said Coley wasnt that good. IIRC, the word was Coley was the ONE WR in Florida that NO DB could handle, NONE, not even the best DBs in Florida. People didnt talk him up much because it didnt really seem we had much of a shot at all, until we did. But I remember Coley being discussed as a "next level" type elite guy most of last year.

Advertisement
Back