Snelson Just Decommited

"It's 2016, calm down" is what these fools say on here. You guys just don't get it. Al being kept is a sign to ALL these recruits that we can give two F's about winning around here. So. Fla kids will gladly put on for their city...if that city's university is trying to put on for them. Miami University is not in the interest of winning, and by retaining Golden, it will set us back 4 yrs. 2015 class will be HORRIBLE. When the 2012/2013 class leaves after next year, we will have a full 2014 class (ranked in the top 15) and a subpar 2015 class (which more than likely will be ranked outside of the top 20) leading the way. Not a strong foundation to build on. Even if Golden is fired after the 2015 season, we will then be forced to watch the 2016 class decommit due to coaching uncertainty. That class, too, will more than likely finish outside of top 20 (see the 2011 class for reference). So now this team will be filled w/ mediocre players for the next 3 years. Due to a new coaching scheme, and the lack of elite talent, the 2016 season will have the growing pains (again) which will now then affect the 2017 class. For every action, there's a reaction and the reaction will be we will fall to obscurity b/c of Golden and this Admin.

Advertisement
We are still high on a lot of WR lists, Michael Irvin Jr, you would think he is a lock, Freddie Pinder, Binjimen Victor etc.v Now if Shaq, Allison, or Mccloud decommits ill be more concerned

"It's 2016, calm down" is what these fools say on here. You guys just don't get it. Al being kept is a sign to ALL these recruits that we can give two F's about winning around here. So. Fla kids will gladly put on for their city...if that city's university is trying to put on for them. Miami University is not in the interest of winning, and by retaining Golden, it will set us back 4 yrs. 2015 class will be HORRIBLE. When the 2012/2013 class leaves after next year, we will have a full 2014 class (ranked in the top 15) and a subpar 2015 class (which more than likely will be ranked outside of the top 20) leading the way. Not a strong foundation to build on. Even if Golden is fired after the 2015 season, we will then be forced to watch the 2016 class decommit due to coaching uncertainty. That class, too, will more than likely finish outside of top 20 (see the 2011 class for reference). So now this team will be filled w/ mediocre players for the next 3 years. Due to a new coaching scheme, and the lack of elite talent, the 2016 season will have the growing pains (again) which will now then affect the 2017 class. For every action, there's a reaction and the reaction will be we will fall to obscurity b/c of Golden and this Admin.

I get your point, but when you said "Miami University" it just shows you have no idea what you are talking about. If I keep hearing these kids say they commit to the U, not Golden, then im fine with that. These kids know its miami, as soon as a successful coach walks in this place and starts winning he leaves for the bigger job. Which in the end is even Golden's goal. He probably wont achieve that but he doesn't want to retire coaching Miami. So even if a good coach is here you don't commit for the coach you commit because it's your home town, you love the canes, or you love the school. Obviously winning helps but if these kids are committing when we suck then that shows you something.

Unless Golden ***** him to a TE, he is a WR for sure. He could probably be a dominant one though none the less but i want this kid getting the Ken Dorsey to Andre Johnson fade routes all day.

Advertisement

I get your point, but when you said "Miami University" it just shows you have no idea what you are talking about. If I keep hearing these kids say they commit to the U, not Golden, then im fine with that. These kids know its miami, as soon as a successful coach walks in this place and starts winning he leaves for the bigger job. Which in the end is even Golden's goal. He probably wont achieve that but he doesn't want to retire coaching Miami. So even if a good coach is here you don't commit for the coach you commit because it's your home town, you love the canes, or you love the school. Obviously winning helps but if these kids are committing when we suck then that shows you something.

Dude, I'm not going to disrespect you with how I really want to respond to you, so I'll just keep it civil:
I said "Miami University" on purpose b/c we are no longer the U. The U is for the UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI. I've been a Canes fan since the 80's and I bleed Orange and Green and know more about the team history than probably most on here. I know exactly what I'm talking about. Apparently, you don't follow college football that closely. There's a domino effect that happens when you make a wrong coaching decision. The reason why most coaches are given 4-5 years to prove their worth is b/c it takes 4 years to rebuild. We're not at a re-load stage like a FSU, Bama, or LSU. We're in rebuild mode and we've been in rebuild mode since Golden has taken helm. By keeping him, he will set University of Miami back 4 yrs.

Dude, I'm not going to disrespect you with how I really want to respond to you, so I'll just keep it civil:
I said "Miami University" on purpose b/c we are no longer the U. The U is for the UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI. I've been a Canes fan since the 80's and I bleed Orange and Green and know more about the team history than probably most on here. I know exactly what I'm talking about. Apparently, you don't follow college football that closely. There's a domino effect that happens when you make a wrong coaching decision. The reason why most coaches are given 4-5 years to prove their worth is b/c it takes 4 years to rebuild. We're not at a re-load stage like a FSU, Bama, or LSU. We're in rebuild mode and we've been in rebuild mode since Golden has taken helm. By keeping him, he will set University of Miami back 4 yrs.

^. This we still have time for 2016. Not saying we have all the time in the world but still we have time. If we somehow have a good season next year it will help get these kids to look at us again. Now that's just asking for a miracle we will have to see. I am more worried about this 2015 class which could crumble very fast. Considering all the rumors of both Scarlett, and Williams already being gone. All we can do is hope things work out.

I'm not being disrespectful at all, I want Golden to be fired.. because he flat out can't coach. In all honesty though if he can somehow keep recruiting through this then let him for this year. I know my fair share about Canes football, I haven't been a fan since the 80s because i was born in 91. Im old enough to remember Butch, Dorsey, the 1999-2002 glory days. I live in Tennessee and still manage to go to some games and i follow recruiting hard core. I'm a HS AD and have set up several players to visit Miami, had Brennan Carroll here at our games several times, have a basketball player that coach L loves that is more than likely going to end up at miami, and i go through their admin quite often. You may not realize this, but recruits still respect Golden, few, if any decommits will be because of him in general. When meeting him kids are still in shock regardless, actually no player sits here on this board like we do. In a teenagers mind they all think they are "going to be the one to save the hometown team" when none of them really are. Trust me if Golden was gone today I would be jumping for joy, but one more year with him coach is not going to destroy the program. Look at Florida, they just hired Jim Mcelwain, his track record is no better than Golden's. We arent going to lose recruits to them until he starts winning which could be 2-3 years if he ever does. I don't think he will. Right now its between us and FSU for all these Miami kids and FSU can only have so many with a few schools taking some here and there but yes if he proves he can't win next year he will be gone. Sadly i have no idea what the deciding factor is on his number of wins but another 6-6 even 7-5 wont be tolerated and possibly not even 8-4. But sorry for the disrespect before, I didnt mean for it to come off that way

Regardless of everything going on right now Golden has several things in his power as far as recruiting. He can show the 10 draft picks he is about to have off this years team, there is no denying that. He can point to that 2016 class we have right now and even right now for the 2015 class he can say "jump on board before we leave without you". It would be tempting for me to take a chance. That goes for both classes. He can point to his offenses stability, look we have the best freshman QB in the country who will be here 3 more years, after that we have a top 5 QB in the 2016 class that is going to be ready to take over as soon as Kaaya is gone. Right now is the best time to be a Miami Hurricane since the early 2000s and they all see it. We are probably on the brink of an indoor facility. The new jerseys, the recruits sitting in the next class, and the draft picks. None of these recruits actually want to decommit and then Miami end up 10-2 next year somehow. At this point if Golden doesnt **** up the bowl game i think this class sticks and gets better.

Advertisement
I'm not being disrespectful at all, I want Golden to be fired.. because he flat out can't coach. In all honesty though if he can somehow keep recruiting through this then let him for this year. I know my fair share about Canes football, I haven't been a fan since the 80s because i was born in 91. Im old enough to remember Butch, Dorsey, the 1999-2002 glory days. I live in Tennessee and still manage to go to some games and i follow recruiting hard core. I'm a HS AD and have set up several players to visit Miami, had Brennan Carroll here at our games several times, have a basketball player that coach L loves that is more than likely going to end up at miami, and i go through their admin quite often. You may not realize this, but recruits still respect Golden, few, if any decommits will be because of him in general. When meeting him kids are still in shock regardless, actually no player sits here on this board like we do. In a teenagers mind they all think they are "going to be the one to save the hometown team" when none of them really are. Trust me if Golden was gone today I would be jumping for joy, but one more year with him coach is not going to destroy the program. Look at Florida, they just hired Jim Mcelwain, his track record is no better than Golden's. We arent going to lose recruits to them until he starts winning which could be 2-3 years if he ever does. I don't think he will. Right now its between us and FSU for all these Miami kids and FSU can only have so many with a few schools taking some here and there but yes if he proves he can't win next year he will be gone. Sadly i have no idea what the deciding factor is on his number of wins but another 6-6 even 7-5 wont be tolerated and possibly not even 8-4. But sorry for the disrespect before, I didnt mean for it to come off that way

We're good bro. Trust me....I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed and then i received all these hits about some of my favorite recruits decommitting and then I saw how Golden blamed night games and the series "Raising Canes" as a means to justify how poor his team played this season, and I went into attack mode. If anything, I apologize to you for being so flagarant in my response, bro. I've never been so frustrated w/ Canes football as I am now. Even in Butch's early years, I wasn't this frustrated. Golden is the only coach since the 80's the not hold a single victory over FSU. The ONLY COACH. Not only that, we're regressing and the excuses he's making for his failures...it's too much.

100% agree with you. Im stressed out, have no answers for why the season went like it did. I've been a believer in Golden, converted to a non-believer, back to a believer and then a non-believer again all in one season. I don't care who is our coach, I just want them to win. I'm sold at this point that Golden will be back next year and somehow hope he turns it around. Golden would be a good coach for Miami if only he could win, just because the BOT loves him so much, he's a business man, and I feel like if he is successful here he will get what he wants out of them for the football program. He could have so much leverage for the cloud and everything that he could be the one to talk them into the indoor facility, possibly moving to a new stadium, etc. I just don't know if he has it in him because his schemes suck and I just don't feel like he gets the most out of his players. Next year will tell all though.

100% agree with you. Im stressed out, have no answers for why the season went like it did. I've been a believer in Golden, converted to a non-believer, back to a believer and then a non-believer again all in one season. I don't care who is our coach, I just want them to win. I'm sold at this point that Golden will be back next year and somehow hope he turns it around. Golden would be a good coach for Miami if only he could win, just because the BOT loves him so much, he's a business man, and I feel like if he is successful here he will get what he wants out of them for the football program. He could have so much leverage for the cloud and everything that he could be the one to talk them into the indoor facility, possibly moving to a new stadium, etc. I just don't know if he has it in him because his schemes suck and I just don't feel like he gets the most out of his players. Next year will tell all though.

This is why I don't believe in Golden....he doesn't believe in us. At first glimpse, Golden tried to bail on us immediately earlier this year. He tried to strong-arm PSU in giving him the job, harassing them with phone calls and emails after PSU gave it a second thought and then hired James Franklin. Golden's heart never was in this season. We came out so unprepared against UL and we continually showed weakness against superior teams. That's been our M.O. He uses juked stats to justify why Doritio should remain...those stats were inflated against UL (who didn't have their top rb, wr and used a new qb/coaching staff), Ark State (a sun-belt conference school), FAMU (a FCS school), and a horrible VT and UNC team. But when we played against superior competition, his scheme was exposed. We gave up, on avg. 20 first downs per game due to this bend don't break defensive scheme. Taking away the Ark St and FAMU games, we gave up 27/pts per game. Taking away the Ark St./Famu game, we gave up 161 yrds/gm rushing (including 2 games of 300+ rushing and 1 of 220+). Taking away the Ark St./FAMU games, we only had 18 sacks all year (including 3 games w/ no sacks recorded)...and while sacks are not everything, we only avg 1 qb pressure per game. These issues are OK w/ Golden. The reason why we know he's Ok w/ it is b/c he's not making any changes. That's why we will be done for the next 4 yrs and that's why I don't believe in him winning here.

In all honesty I think the bend dont break scheme would work here if we had ****** talent like temple. All these guys are used to being studs on their HS teams and they want to make big time plays, not sit back and wait to make a tackle. Thats why Tracy Howard doesn't play, hes too aggressive for Golden, hes scared he is going to give up an extra 5 yards breaking to get an int versus letting the guy catch it and just tackling him. Golden gets us a lot of 3rd downs on defense, but we can't get off the **** field unless their qb throws an incomplete pass or their O line misses a block. That is what kills me. Some say the best defense is an elite offense.. well our elite offense couldnt get back on the field because we didnt have the scheme to match. If you have an aggressive offense, let your D play aggressive and get them the ball back not let the other team sustain a drive and keep them on the sideline and give their defense time to adjust. Thats where the FSU game went wrong.

Advertisement
In all honesty I think the bend dont break scheme would work here if we had ****ty talent like temple. All these guys are used to being studs on their HS teams and they want to make big time plays, not sit back and wait to make a tackle. Thats why Tracy Howard doesn't play, hes too aggressive for Golden, hes scared he is going to give up an extra 5 yards breaking to get an int versus letting the guy catch it and just tackling him. Golden gets us a lot of 3rd downs on defense, but we can't get off the **** field unless their qb throws an incomplete pass or their O line misses a block. That is what kills me. Some say the best defense is an elite offense.. well our elite offense couldnt get back on the field because we didnt have the scheme to match. If you have an aggressive offense, let your D play aggressive and get them the ball back not let the other team sustain a drive and keep them on the sideline and give their defense time to adjust. Thats where the FSU game went wrong.

Spot on. That's exactly why Howard is in his dog house. Howard is a press man guy. My frat brother, Richard Sherman, excelled at Stanford b/c Harbough took his gift of physicality and used it to his advantage. Rich only ran a 4.6, but he negated that by being so aggressive at the L.O.S. Howard, too, lacks elite speed...you negate that by having him play his game of jamming WR on the line of scrimmage to substitute his lack of straight line speed. Golden's bend don't break philosophy doesn't need to be when he has gifted athletes. We are under utilizing their talent and it's killing this program.

Its all because he is from up north and used to the slower, bulky guys. Not used to having elite speed at his disposal. Shows he lacks coaching knowledge, not the right guy for the program, and that reflects the way the team plays. He cant adapt to the players he has and can't counter an opponent's game plan by changing his own.

Advertisement
No Surprise. Per his Twitter

y'all act surprised. Oh well Next man up! 2016 is loaded at the receiver position. NOW can I get a DT commit.

Maybe Golden's NJ connection will help us with that. No significant stars at DT in Florida next year other than one guy from Tallahassee (go figure) already committed to FSU. One of the top DTs, however is from NJ. If that connection is ever going to help us, now is the time!!

Despite Dredrick Snelson's decommitment. Snelson, Miami and his recruitment is far from over.

We could very well have a recommitment from him only if we have improvement or cough fire Golden and rid some staff and hire a proven winning coach. This season we just had was a negative towards us and it's only obvious kids will look at their options.

Snelson reached out to Miami and committed to Miami. The staff liked him and took it.

Yes their is a connection where Yearby is his uncle. Snelson is originally from Miami. Kaaya in place does help and obviously Lawson and then Allison in his class year.

AH despite what anyone says. Does not have an agenda. Gibson wanted a certain system. Miami did not want McFadden, straight from his mouth.

Yes their is the obvious peer pressure. That's expected at any school.

BUT Snelson recruitment and him with Miami is far from over. I am one who believes it has more to do with our staff and results on the field. You fix that, I expect Snelson at Miami. Only if we correct and fix our issues.

Snelson likes Miami. Don't get it wrong. This is a kid who went out of his way for us and wanted us and was very pro Miami. We need to actually be Miami if we want to keep these types of kids.

And in NO WAY is this not a big loss. Snelson is an elite receiver. Regardless of how loaded 2016 is at the wide receiver position. He is a MUST land.

Ball is on Miamis court now. Make some significant changes or bring actual results and you keep these types of kids.

Last edited:
As for 2016 wide receiver recruitment.

Irvin Jr it's already been noted that he has been recruited as a TE.

The targets we have.

Tavares Chase
Nate Craig (ATH)
Brandon Johnson
Marcus Johnson (ATH)
Dymond Lee
Steven Newbold
Tre Nixon
Freddie Pinder
Cavin Ridley (ATH)
Darnell Salomon
Dredrick Snelson
Eli Stove
Freddie Swain
Binjimen Victor
Keyshawn "Pie" Young (ATH)

Then the under the radars that could pick up some recruitment heat.

Elbre Gaiter
Eddie McDoom
Duran Randolph
Jerron Rollins
Darius Scott

Now let me narrow it down. I'll leave the more under the radars for us off of it for now.

Chase, Craig, Ridley and Stove are not coming here. Out of equation. Only way I could even see any of those seriously considering us would be if we were winning 10-11 games a year, otherwise... just visiting. And it would be Ridley and Craig if anything.

Salomon I would consider if he transferred out of Champagnat Catholic. I don't expect Nixon or Swain to come here.

So now were down to

Brandon Johnson (Not high on the board, but cane legacy)
Marcus Johnson (Shaqs teammate, ATH type not sure on future position)
Dymond Lee (Kaayas teammate from Cali, not sure if he would leave Cali area yet.)
Steven Newbold (High on Miami, will see how recruitment picks up over summer, family posts here)
Freddie Pinder (I expect him to be one of the next commits)
Dredrick Snelson (Despite decommitment, Miami is still in it, cane legacy. Win and he comes)
Binjimen Victor (Enjoying the process, right now I don't expect him here.)
Keyshawn "Pie" Young (ATH type, right in our backyard. Not sure on future position)

I would say.... We add 3-4 more.

I could see Pinder and Newbold come.

Snelson is 50/50, depends on our end. Need to win and fix our issues.

"Pie" Young comes as an athlete and we figure his position afterwards.

Marcus Johnson 50/50. Take him as ATH if staff decides to pursue. High praise from Shaqs father.

Last edited:
As for Snelson compared to Mullins, Richards and Bruce.

IMO Bruce is the most ready to play right away. He is advanced for a high school kid.

Ceiling/potential wise. I have Snelson as 2nd behind Richards.

All 4 of Bruce, Mullins, Richards and Snelson are legitimate top 10 receivers in the 2016 class.

You can play it off if you want. But Snelson is a big loss. It's not over for us with him but we can't let him get away. Don't try and spin it. He's elite.

Advertisement
Back