Sleepwalking in Chapel Hill(thoughts on the UNC win)...

We had Najeh or DJ shredding people at full back, or Shockey down the middle, or Santana, Wayne, Ethnic, or Andre on curls, outs, slant and go’s. Awesome rb screens and play action qb roll outs. We ran counters, off tackles , sweeps. We had rub and pick routes for end zone passing

Not only are all of your facts wrong but you also seem to think that curls , screens and counters aren't "predictable" play-calls.

Nobody will ever go broke underestimating the intelligence of this fan base.
All of my facts are wrong lord. This idiotic fan base. And screens, counters, curls are loads better than 4 verts, crash the middle run **** show Richt runs.

just stop man, you're not even close to getting something right with all that **** you're throwing at the wall

Advertisement
Zero creativity. Nothing to even make the d think something predictable is coming , then play off that. It's just the same ole crap.

"My athletes and speed" are enough is how he calls games.

Yep. How about a sweep/toss/pitch? Maybe some counters, reverses, end arounds? Maybe put Rosier under center with 3/4 wide, in the pistol, ****!!!

How many 2nd and 10s are we going to see the same MFing running play?

The 2nd and 10 runs into loaded boxes have been ****ing me off for 2 years now...but there is something that ****es me off even more about Richt's play calling.

For the love of everything holy in this world...can I get a shallow ****ing cross and more intermediate **** over the middle of the field?

This offense just needs to move the chains a little more, which it is fully capable of doing, and THEN he can take his 4 vertical shots downfield and THEN he can run the ball as much as he wants.

I just feel like the play calling is all backwards. I've felt this way since he got here. I'm looking at the D pre-snap and saying to myself...that's a great look to run...and Richt will call four verticals. And then vice versa.

The whole thing just feels "off". I like him as a head coach, a recruiter, and as the face of the program...is it too much to ask to hire a ****ing dedicated OC already?

Anything over the middle seems to get batted down due to the 3 minute windup Rosier has. But I feel ya, dude is a poor OC putting it nicely

It’s not wise to throw over the middle with an inaccurate, inconsistent QB. You’re just asking for interceptions; that’s why we can’t use Herndon to his fullest potential.

when people ask why dont we throw over the middle more often, the answer is right. IIRC 3 of the 4 interceptions were right in the middle of the field

Advertisement
We embarrassed ourselves yesterday. College football's a very funny game though. Just when everyone starts putting dirt on you and thinking you are almost certain to lose the next game, fortunes can dramatically change.

I think this was UNC's Super Bowl at home at 1-7. They were going to destroy our entire season yesterday.

Conversely, we showed up with the same approach that CIS had all week--"When we get up by 42 in the 2nd quarter, then will we see N'Kosi?". I've always noticed a parallel between our team's mindset and our fans' mindset. When our fans are overlooking an opponent, the team seems to almost always be overlooking them too.

No excuse for that performance yesterday. It was a disgrace from top to bottom. We were pretty crappy in all 3 phases against a terrible team. I'm hoping that's just what the doctor ordered because we're going to need to be firing on all cylinders this week.

Should have known this turned into another Doppelpiccolo thread when I saw it hit 6 pages so quickly. Why do you guys engage him in these mind-numbing back and forth quibbling quote fests?

We embarrassed ourselves yesterday. College football's a very funny game though. Just when everyone starts putting dirt on you and thinking you are almost certain to lose the next game, fortunes can dramatically change.

I think this was UNC's Super Bowl at home at 1-7. They were going to destroy our entire season yesterday.

Conversely, we showed up with the same approach that CIS had all week--"When we get up by 42 in the 2nd quarter, then will we see N'Kosi?". I've always noticed a parallel between our team's mindset and our fans' mindset. When our fans are overlooking an opponent, the team seems to almost always be overlooking them too.

No excuse for that performance yesterday. It was a disgrace from top to bottom. We were pretty crappy in all 3 phases against a terrible team. I'm hoping that's just what the doctor ordered because we're going to need to be firing on all cylinders this week.

Teams like VaTech and Notre Dame are peaking.

I tend to agree with your statement on team/fan "biorhythm" and hope it shows out this week versus VaTech. However, that Notre Dame game is a trainwreck in the making.

Miami's inability to get off the field on 3rd downs...its rush defense being in the bottom half...its inability to control TOP...

Not a good look at the moment.

Teams like VaTech and Notre Dame are peaking.

I tend to agree with your statement on team/fan "biorhythm" and hope it shows out this week versus VaTech. However, that Notre Dame game is a trainwreck in the making.

Miami's inability to get off the field on 3rd downs...its rush defense being in the bottom half...its inability to control TOP...

Not a good look at the moment.

Notre Dame is at a whole different level than Vag Tech. Vag Tech is a good workmanlike team. Notre Dame is playing as well or better than anyone in the country right now.

They took a good NCSU team and bludgeoned them to death. NCSU's a good run defense that they shredded to bits yesterday. Adams and Wimbush are a deadly combination in the run game, and that OL of theirs blows open monster holes in the middle of defenses, which has been a big problem for us. They're also very sound on defense. NCSU was a better offensive team than us going into that game, and ND throttled them.

Vag Tech doesn't run the ball all that well, but they play defense and disguise coverages and will likely confuse the **** out of Rosier and Rick.

No excuse for not beating Vag Tech. ND, though, we should be a fairly significant underdog. I hope Wake bangs up Adams and/or Wimbush a little this week.

I find it incredible how much better ND is this year by adding 2 new coordinators. Usually, that scapegoating of coordinators never works when a HC is teetering on the brink of firing.

Advertisement
And that is fine. I don't understand why he doesn't want help.

His teams win more games when he's calling plays.

I don't like wasted staff positions on guys with ceremonial titles either (Brown, J. Richt) but if Mark calling plays makes him more engaged as a head coach then I'm for it.

The results bear that out.

And that is fine. I don't understand why he doesn't want help.

His teams win more games when he's calling plays.

I don't like wasted staff positions on guys with ceremonial titles either (Brown, J. Richt) but if Mark calling plays makes him more engaged as a head coach then I'm for it.

The results bear that out.

[Here is an old post with the actual data]

(especially personnel).

A few things:

1. I think the difference in wins has to do with the quality of coaching in the SEC and when he coached against them. For example, Richt was 2-0 against Bama but then when Saban came in 2007, he went 1-3 against Bama.

[The records below represent Richt's record v. these teams]

Against UF:

2001: Spurrier 0-1
2002-04: Zook 1-2
2005-10: Meyer 1-5
2011-15: Muschump 3-1

Against LSU:

2001-04: Saban 1-1 (Doesn't play against LSU in 2001 and 2002)
2005-15: Miles 3-2 (Doesn't play against LSU in 2006, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2015)

Alabama

2001-02: Franchione 1-0 (Doesn't play against Bama in 2001)
2003-06: Shula 1-0 (Doesn't play against Bama in 2004, 2005 and 2006)
2006-15: Saban 1-3 (Doesn't play against Bama in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014

2. If you want to talk about the offense, then it is clear they did better on offense when Richt wasn't calling plays.

[Average Per Game Stats]

Richt as the OC

Total Offense: 433
Scoring Offense: 29

Total Offense: 385
Scoring Offense: 32

Total Offense: 380
Scoring Offense: 27

Total Offense: 405
Scoring Offense: 28

Total Offense: 391
Scoring Offense: 30

Total Offense: 312
Scoring Offense: 25

Average with Richt as the OC

Total Offense (avg): 384
Scoring Offense (avg): 28.5

Bobo as the OC

Total Offense: 376
Scoring Offense: 33

Total Offense: 426
Scoring Offense: 31

Total Offense: 362
Scoring Offense: 29

Total Offense: 385

Total Offense: 409

Total Offense: 468
Scoring Offense: 38

Total Offense: 484
Scoring Offense: 37

Total Offense: 459
Scoring Offense: 41

Average with Bobo as the OC

Total Offense (avg): 421
Scoring Offense (avg): 34.1

Richt not a good OC anymore. Lost his touch calling plays. But he having fun and reinvigorated and dats what's important.

If Malek turns his head (reoccurring theme) he intercepts the pass on the trick play UNC score in the 3rd qtr. guaranteed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Should have known this turned into another Doppelpiccolo thread when I saw it hit 6 pages so quickly. Why do you guys engage him in these mind-numbing back and forth quibbling quote fests?

I honestly never heard of the guy before yesterday,so it took me a few pages to figure out what he was up to. Just another wilfork Jr to ignore

If Malek turns his head (reoccurring theme) he intercepts the pass on the trick play UNC score in the 3rd qtr. guaranteed.

Malek took the cheese on that play. Had nothing to do with the recurring internet theme of him not turning his head. He bit hard and came up in run support.

Malek took the cheese on that play. Had nothing to do with the recurring internet theme of him not turning his head. He bit hard and came up in run support.

He did. But I’m rewatching and the first time around I thought the same thing. Looking at it now to me it seems the ball drifted in the air giving him time to make a play on it.

Advertisement
Cribby, do what I did and put that guy on ignore. It'll make your life much more pleasurable...

Dude I slipped up yesterday, I didn't know who this idiot was and I bit. Shame on me, I'm normally pretty good about sniffing these guys out

Funny how lots of people try to take a one game result and try to project out. College football doesn't work that way. There's dozens of results every season that make no sense. LSU loses at home to Troy the beats UF on the road. Liberty, a team most dont even know has a team, beats Baylor at home.

All that matters is 7-0. Miami is not at the level where style points are a concern.

Beat VT.

I honestly never heard of the guy before yesterday,so it took me a few pages to figure out what he was up to. Just another wilfork Jr to ignore

Typical puzzy mentality on this board.

Ignore or ban somebody who you can't answer to.

Chud was coaching TE and FB in 2000 and OC in 2001 so yeah, DJ did play FB for him. Next.

Chud was the TE coach in 2000. Never coached fullbacks.

DJ Williams was a linebacker in 2001-03 (when Chud was OC).

DJ never played for Chud.

Period.

Just take the L.

You clearly don't have a firm grasp on that era.

you are clueless. Chud coached TE’s. He also coached fullbacks, along with Soldinger. Both coaches where responsible for them. You just read press clipping and data sheets. You have no idea who really did what that era.

Advertisement
Back