SIAP - Kentucky Coach Mark Stoops Asked About Miami Coaching Job

Have any of yall watched Kentucky this year or over the last 3 seasons?

What gives yall such confidence that our OL is capable of running their style of offense? Have yall forgot that fast about the Enox season??

And more importantly, if you’re of the belief that he would hire a Spread OC, why would he stray from what has worked for him at Kentucky & do something he’s never done while at Miami? Like if you’re Mark Stoops & this style offense has won you 10 games in 2018 & has you on the verge of another 10 win season this year, why would you ditch it at a new program?

I’m not tryna throw a monkey wrench in the parade float, I’m looking for some legit logic behind so many of our fans being so hellbent on us reverting back to the days when we struggled immensely in moving the ball?

Maybe you guys don’t think it will matter, but you have to take into scope the state of the game today & calculate how we’ll play considering our personnel & how that translates to what happens in games... Like just think, does Miami beat NC State by pounding the rock like Kentucky did against South Carolina, UF, LSU & Mizzou?

Kentucky has only 3 games with more than 30 passing attempts, those games were vs Chattanooga & Louisiana Monroe; they’ve thrown the ball more than 20 times against only one of the P5 opponents they’ve played this year & that was vs UGA in a loss.

So what does that mean? They’re winning games with Defense & running the ball, do you guys think Miami has the roster to win games with Defense & running the ball in a similar fashion? And how long do you think it will take for him to build this roster up to that point?
LCE,

I think some fans are just tired of seeing Miami teams look "soft". It seems that our teams never own the LOS and we just never seem to look like a "physical" team.

Advertisement
All he said was “I’m not going to get into that..”

Seems like yall are reaching...
If he truly wasn’t interested he would’ve said something like, “I will not be the coach at Miami. I shouldn’t even have to answer that.”

That’s how Nick Saban does it.

What gives yall such confidence that our OL is capable of running their style of offense? Have yall forgot that fast about the Enox season??

And more importantly, if you’re of the belief that he would hire a Spread OC, why would he stray from what has worked for him at Kentucky & do something he’s never done while at Miami? Like if you’re Mark Stoops & this style offense has won you 10 games in 2018 & has you on the verge of another 10 win season this year, why would you ditch it at a new program?

I’m not tryna throw a monkey wrench in the parade float, I’m looking for some legit logic behind so many of our fans being so hellbent on us reverting back to the days when we struggled immensely in moving the ball?

Maybe you guys don’t think it will matter, but you have to take into scope the state of the game today & calculate how we’ll play considering our personnel & how that translates to what happens in games... Like just think, does Miami beat NC State by pounding the rock like Kentucky did against South Carolina, UF, LSU & Mizzou?

Kentucky has only 3 games with more than 30 passing attempts, those games were vs Chattanooga & Louisiana Monroe; they’ve thrown the ball more than 20 times against only one of the P5 opponents they’ve played this year & that was vs UGA in a loss.

So what does that mean? They’re winning games with Defense & running the ball, do you guys think Miami has the roster to win games with Defense & running the ball in a similar fashion? And how long do you think it will take for him to build this roster up to that point?

His first OC hire was Neal Brown. Stoops isn't a dummy, he will make necessary changes on offense to fit the talent.

UK doesn't get great QBs/WRs and runs the offense they need to, to win.

Kentucky has basically been a run heavy offense for the last 5 years, which leads me to believe that’s the style the Mark prefers... He may have fired Gran, but they’re still not throwing the ball under Coen’s play calling.

But lets say he comes to Miami, is he gonna abandon that philosophy if it’s produced his best results for him?

Has Mark Stoops ever had an OC that placed an emphasis on throwing the ball?

If Miami had the personnel to support a pound the rock offense he’d be perfect, but from looking at our roster going forward doesn’t appear we have the horses for that kind of race.

I remember him having Neal Brown and another Air Raid coach for his first few years but his success came with power running football. Maybe he goes back to Air Raid if he comes to Miami but I highly doubt it.

He would bring the Offensive style that brought the most success. I agree with you that we don’t have the players to run that style.

That’s all I’ve been trying to figure out lol

Cause like if we’re gonna play Mark Stoops ball in Miami that’s not gonna happen overnight, it’ll take at 2-3 years tops before our OL has even a modicum of closeness to Kentucky’s, so in the meantime in between time, what happens then? Are fans gonna be okay with us essentially remaining a 7-5 type team until Mark figures out the QB & transforms our OL?

I guess what I’ve been asking is, how patient are yall tryna be? Do yall wanna wait 3-4 years with a Run first HC or do we get us a Pass first offensive guru that can turn things around faster & win while in the process of transforming the roster to fit what’s he’s looking for?

It seems to me most of our fans are saying they’re okay with a slow build in theory, but from what I know about us if Miami is still trying to get over the hump by year 3 with these Power run coaches everyone wants they’ll be calling for their heads just like they do with every other coach lol.
I concur. Saying we are ok with a slow build and being ok with a slow build are two different things…

Advertisement
LCE,

I think some fans are just tired of seeing Miami teams look "soft". It seems that our teams never own the LOS and we just never seem to look like a "physical" team.
I agree, but you don’t go from being a soft to physical team in one season...

That takes time & considering how much we failed in recruiting OL, I’m just curious to see how patient fans would be to wait for us to become this physical team they want us to be?

Because during the process of becoming physical we’re not all of the sudden going to start winning games, while transitioning over the roster to become more heavy in the tranches & built to be more Power run centered we’re gonna have some tough losses in the process, so all I’m asking is are people sure they’re gonna be okay with that until we can finally run the ball like yall want? Like are yall good with 2 possibly 3 more years of 6-6/7-5 type seasons until we can be more stout at the line of scrimmage?

Because there is an alternative to produce faster results, but if yall are good with going all in becoming a Power run team then okay, just make sure yall remember that when we’re still 7-5 in year 3 lol, that’s all I’m saying...

1. Mario

2. Lane

3. Billy
4. Stoops
That order & gap lol
1) A coach who can’t avoid bad losses

2). A coach who fields some of the worst defenses you would possibly field. He’s also lost at 2 of the last 3 P5 jobs he’s held and no one knows how good he is without him inheriting Matt Corral.

4) A coach that’s never even had a losing record in his coaching career ever. Not even in his High School days.

5) A coach at a 3rd tier P5 school that wins the games he’s supposed to, Field some of the best defenses in the SEC, constantly brings in a multitude of NFL talent, has outrecruited a plethora of schools at UM, and has had his school ranked almost every year for the 4 of the last 5 or 6 years.

So you’re admitting that there’s that huge of a gap between 1/2 and 3/4? And you said it out in public?

I’m confused on your logic. Stoops does run spread at UK. In fact he runs a multiple power run spread. We have the tackles but we need to fix the interior of our line. We could definitely do it in the portal.

Advertisement
I’m confused on your logic. Stoops does run spread at UK. In fact he runs a multiple power run spread. We have the tackles but we need to fix the interior of our line. We could definitely do it in the portal.
Miami doesn’t have Power run spread personnel & it’s much easier said than done to just find 3 interior linemen in the Portal that will be sufficient enough to run the ball similar to Kentucky. They’re barely throwing the ball 18 times a game, that’s a recipe for disaster for Miami...

But, as long as that’s what yall are okay with I won’t ask anymore questions about it.

I share this line of thinking. Our fans seem to want a sure thing, who isn't really a sure thing at all.
A lot of our fans are ignorant to what a good coach looks like, and why someone would do well at Miami. They fall for the "Miami Guy Bro" crap, they fall for the "He played here in the glory days" crap. Stoops gets more out of less, which is impressive, especially seeing that he's getting more out of less in a a major conference where he is swamped in regards to resources and support. That tends to travel more often than not, compared to what Mario does, which won't travel because we will NEVER be able to give him Nike money nor levels of support.

Advertisement
Miami doesn’t have Power run spread personnel & it’s much easier said than done to just find 3 interior linemen in the Portal that will be sufficient enough to run the ball similar to Kentucky. They’re barely throwing the ball 18 times a game, that’s a recipe for disaster for Miami...

But, as long as that’s what yall are okay with I won’t ask anymore questions about it.
They barely pass the ball because of their QB. Not because of anything else. Jalen is really good, Zion is really good, Jakai is a Reliable center, and we done a really good job at identifying tackles. We’re just missing another guard once Jalen is healthy again. We can find a starter level guard to put and play in the portal.

1) A coach who can’t avoid bad losses

2). A coach who fields some of the worst defenses you would possibly field. He’s also lost at 2 of the last 3 P5 jobs he’s held and no one knows how good he is without him inheriting Matt Corral.

4) A coach that’s never even had a losing record in his coaching career ever. Not even in his High School days.

5) A coach at a 3rd tier P5 school that wins the games he’s supposed to, Field some of the best defenses in the SEC, constantly brings in a multitude of NFL talent, has outrecruited a plethora of schools at UM, and has had his school ranked almost every year for the 4 of the last 5 or 6 years.

So you’re admitting that there’s that huge of a gap between 1/2 and 3/4? And you said it out in public?

I didn’t even read that when I seen you couldn’t count to 4 correct

Advertisement
Your right
He’s just a pipe dream
He’s too perfect that the school would never do it
They have this weird idea that they are some pseudo Ivy League
I personally think it’s crazy that Brian Kelly can kill a student and no one seems to care and all freeze did was get caught getting some hoes for his recruits
How dare this school have standards? How dare this school expect that the person running one of the most visible parts of said University not be a complete POS? Our fans need to grow up and realize that if the sport of football disappeared tomorrow, the University of Miami would still exist. Keep in mind over 98.2% of the student body aren't football student athletes, the school has to look out for them as well.

The last time I checked, you can be a quality coach, put a decent product on the field and not be a guy that has had NCAA issues, nor is a moral hypocrite. Freeze is a good coach, and if he would be willing to sign a contract that had a strong morals clause that gave the University an out in case he did something awful(Which is likely, looking at his past history), I'd be fine with an interview. That said, there are other coaches out there that can do the same thing as Freeze and you most likely wouldn't have to deal with the NCAA, nor possible moral failings.

I agree, but you don’t go from being a soft to physical team in one season...

That takes time & considering how much we failed in recruiting OL, I’m just curious to see how patient fans would be to wait for us to become this physical team they want us to be?

Because during the process of becoming physical we’re not all of the sudden going to start winning games, while transitioning over the roster to become more heavy in the tranches & built to be more Power run centered we’re gonna have some tough losses in the process, so all I’m asking is are people sure they’re gonna be okay with that until we can finally run the ball like yall want? Like are yall good with 2 possibly 3 more years of 6-6/7-5 type seasons until we can be more stout at the line of scrimmage?

Because there is an alternative to produce faster results, but if yall are good with going all in becoming a Power run team then okay, just make sure yall remember that when we’re still 7-5 in year 3 lol, that’s all I’m saying...
There's always the portal for o-line.. everything else just recruit hard

I didn’t even read that when I seen you couldn’t count to 4 correct
You've really gone with this sentence structure and grammar to criticise another poster?

GIF by Giphy QA

Advertisement
Back