SIAP B. Baker may be on the move to TN as DC...

Advertisement
He may not be respected on CIS but sure seems like he is among P5 coaches in the best CFB conference.

This is gonna turn into a Blake Baker truther thread isn’t it?

Well, let me throw the first Molotov ****tail before I run out the room...

If Blake was really a good DC but was hindered by Manny, then that means it’s Manny’s fault our Defense has regressed over the last 2 seasons... Which flies in the face of the numerous threads that have been posted over the last week or so declaring Manny a very good/90th percentile DC.

So, if you think Baker really was a good DC, you then can’t declare Manny a good DC too...

Either Baker was no bueno & what we saw in the 2019 & 2020 seasons was not an illusion, OR, Manny is the real culprit behind the Defense falling off a cliff from 2018, which should raise some eyebrows because guess who’s the DC for this season?...

Can’t have it both ways... Now I’ll sit back & watch chaos ensue lol
I disagree with this. If Baker is a better DC than it appeared the past two years, that has nothing to do with Manny as a DC, but rather manny as a HC - did he manage his DC properly or not. People don’t focus enough on the difference in manny’s role.

i don’t think baker was a really good dc, but i suspect he’s better than he looked this year. I don’t think manny is a really good hc, but hopefully he’s learning.

Advertisement
I disagree with this. If Baker is a better DC than it appeared the past two years, that has nothing to do with Manny as a DC, but rather manny as a HC - did he manage his DC properly or not. People don’t focus enough on the difference in manny’s role.

i don’t think baker was a really good dc, but i suspect he’s better than he looked this year. I don’t think manny is a really good hc, but hopefully he’s learning.
It has everything to do with Manny as a DC because it would mean that Manny didn’t allow Baker to call the Defense the way he wanted, but rather call the Defense as though he were Manny, meaning Manny tried to force baker to be Manny Jr as a DC, which means the Defensive play calls were not Bake’s but Manny’s.

Manny is exclusively a Defensive coach who takes autonomous control of the Defense, which means he either brought in Baker to be his DC because he believed that Baker was just like him as a Defensive play caller, or he brought him in & then realized he actually had a slightly different philosophical view of DC play calling & thus then forced him to conform to Manny’s philosophy. But given that he basically came up under Manny I think it’s safe to assume he already knew what kinda DC Baker was when he hired him.

The point is, Manny is the DC this season, so if Baker was being held back by Manny & is actually a good DC, what does that say about the DC for the 21 season, who just so happens to also be Manny?

If both Manny & Baker are good DC’s then someone explain what happened to the Defense last year? How do two good DC’s on one team yield those kinds of results with a relatively healthy Defense for a majority of the season?

1612934304722.png

If Blake was really a good DC but was hindered by Manny, then that means it’s Manny’s fault our Defense has regressed over the last 2 seasons... Which flies in the face of the numerous threads that have been posted over the last week or so declaring Manny a very good/90th percentile DC.

So, if you think Baker really was a good DC, you then can’t declare Manny a good DC too...

Either Baker was no bueno & what we saw in the 2019 & 2020 seasons was not an illusion, OR, Manny is the real culprit behind the Defense falling off a cliff from 2018, which should raise some eyebrows because guess who’s the DC for this season?...

A01463BC-FDC2-48A1-8A0F-F2758BFCB10A.gif

Advertisement

LCE be like

1612935919307.gif

Without being a Baker truther....

OR... we didn't have a dominant DT and two stud safeties we needed to make the D run, we had horrifically inexperienced LB's, and DJ Ivey was actually on the field.

While I realize there's overlap, even as a non-football junkie I am on record multiple times here saying the D was poised for a major drop in 2020.

That said, to **** with Baker and I'm glad to see him gone. Dude was one of the most milquetoast DC's I've ever seen.

That would be a mistake by Baker. He made the right move “leaving” Miami. More of a culture fit and in a role that more suits him at this current moment. He would nuke his career by going to Tennessee.

But also make enough money (including his buyout) to easily retire... so... there's that.

It has everything to do with Manny as a DC because it would mean that Manny didn’t allow Baker to call the Defense the way he wanted, but rather call the Defense as though he were Manny, meaning Manny tried to force baker to be Manny Jr as a DC, which means the Defensive play calls were not Bake’s but Manny’s.

Manny is exclusively a Defensive coach who takes autonomous control of the Defense, which means he either brought in Baker to be his DC because he believed that Baker was just like him as a Defensive play caller, or he brought him in & then realized he actually had a slightly different philosophical view of DC play calling & thus then forced him to conform to Manny’s philosophy. But given that he basically came up under Manny I think it’s safe to assume he already knew what kinda DC Baker was when he hired him.

The point is, Manny is the DC this season, so if Baker was being held back by Manny & is actually a good DC, what does that say about the DC for the 21 season, who just so happens to also be Manny?

If both Manny & Baker are good DC’s then someone explain what happened to the Defense last year? How do two good DC’s on one team yield those kinds of results with a relatively healthy Defense for a majority of the season?
Im not sure we’re saying different things. What it would say to me is manny as hc made life harder for his dc. Manny owns that dynamic as hc.

i expeft our d will improve this year (most guys back, some mew talent). I expect baler to be a decent guy wherever he goes. Not dorito stupid, but not top notch.

Advertisement

12F6BA39-5120-46B0-81E5-C177841C483B.gif

I've said it before, but Baker wasn't running his defense, he was running Manny's.

Is Baker good? He did fine at his previous stop.

How good is he? I don't know, but there's no way someone is going to run your defense as well as you would, at least that's how Manny had to feel.

Baker is in a good place and I imagine he's gotta be happy with the way it all worked out.

Advertisement
Baker is in a good place and I imagine he's gotta be happy with the way it all worked out.
He landed pretty solidly all things considered, but I doubt that he’s pretty happy with how it worked out. He clearly took a ding here and although he can sell that it’s LSU, he also was named LB coach under a guy who has never called plays (though I think that guy is a rising star and far more qualified than Baker). LSU’s staff could also be in trouble with another bad year and he’s unemployed then too.

Either Baker was no bueno & what we saw in the 2019 & seasons was not an illusion, OR, Manny is the real culprit behind the Defense falling off a cliff from 2018, which should raise some eyebrows because guess who’s the DC for this season?...

But what if in the quarters we played good defense Manny took over. I remember hearing everytime we got a stop on 3rd down it was because of Manny. Personally I believe this has to be true, no way Baker did anything right in the two years he was here.

How Baker potentially leaving LSU to go to UT as DC is turning into another anti Manny thread is truly beyond me but at the same time not surprising at all.
You jump into threads at times with this type of wounded Manny Warrior comment like I do making fun of the partisan one-track minded hacks on both sides here.

People can legitimately discuss things and even draw conclusions that don’t necessarily shower all sunshine on Manny and it’s not “anti” anything, it’s called honest thought and discussion supported by differing rationales.

I think most people on here - many of whom aren’t as vocal - are actually more anti-All Slurper and anti-All Mope than anti-Manny.

Advertisement
Back