SIAP — ACC Might Scrap Divisions?

Advertisement
ND has made the playoffs several times over the last few years and has essentially their own TV network. And it's not like they are hurting for money. What would have changed if they were part of a conference?
I already noted that their NBC ratings have been either really good or really bad recently. They're not this huge automatic ratings driver. When they're really good, people tune in but when they're not nobody does. The coach behind their recent success just took a lateral move to LSU. Coaches normally don't just up and leave contenders, especially historic ones like Notre Dame. They promoted from within and their new guy has zero head coaching experience. He has one year of experience as a DC at the power 5 level. He's got a rep as a great recruiter but as an actual coach he's a huge question mark. He also hired Al Golden to be his defensive coordinator for what that's worth.

They also need a conference for every single men's and women's sport outside of football. If the ACC ever grows balls, they can tell them to join for football or kick rocks. They've already bent and restructured their football schedule to include 5 ACC games every year. Is it that hard to see them adding a few more? The college football landscape is changing at a ridiculous pace. what seems like a crazy idea today becomes a common sense move tomorrow.

Every single one of you that is saying this is a good idea, will be back on here complaining year in and year out about the “Tobacco Road” crew getting the easiest schedule. Screenshot this, bookmark it, save it, do whatever you got to do. This will age like fine wine.

I have no clue why anybody would complain about what Miami has right now. Easiest division in football and you’re mad.

Tobacco Road gets the easiest schedule already.

Miami plays FSU every year. They suck now but that wasn’t always so. Who do Clemson, NC State, Wake, Duke, and UNC play cross-divisionally each year?

The ACC is a garbage conference. Most boring schedules, worst TV network with the lowest payout, worst officiating, basketball conference.

Miami will leave for the SEC or Big 10 within 5 years. Take that to the bank. The only way we stick around is if Notre Dame joins, which will never happen.

The league that is almost certainly getting rid of divisions since there will be so many teams?

SEC football is funner to watch. Miami will join the SEC within the next 5 years unless Notre Dame joins the ACC full time. Bookmark it. Take it to the bank.

Advertisement
I won't b/c I have never complained about Tobacco Road. Every fanbase of every team thinks the refs, league, etc is out to get them.

As for easiest division, my preference to go to this format has nothing to do with whether it would make it easier or harder; teams (especially in the ACC) go through cycles of being good and bad. I like the variety this would bring.
I won’t complain either bc I’d love Miami to come to Raleigh and Winston Salem more, but I’m also not complaining bc the road is consistently so easy, or at least should be.

Tobacco Road gets the easiest schedule already.

Miami plays FSU every year. They suck now but that wasn’t always so. Who do Clemson, NC State, Wake, Duke, and UNC play cross-divisionally each year?

The ACC is a garbage conference. Most boring schedules, worst TV network with the lowest payout, worst officiating, basketball conference.

Miami will leave for the SEC or Big 10 within 5 years. Take that to the bank. The only way we stick around is if Notre Dame joins, which will never happen.
UNC plays State and Duke in conference, every year. UNC and Wake isn’t a money making rivalry but they do have a contract that they play more than the every 5 or 7 year conference obligation. It’s considered out of conference. Clemson, State, and Wake play every year bc they’re in the Atlantic. Duke isn’t a rival with anybody except Carolina so they don’t bc nobody cares about Duke football

If you wanna complain, you should complain about the Miami/FSU rivalry. That’s why they play every year and the main reason the ACC took Miami. Nobody else besides UNC/State in this conference have that bc it’s first and foremost a basketball conference.

Your disdain is for the conference and all it’s members and their lack of traditional football rivalries. Not with scheduling or even Tobacco Road.

Advertisement
UNC plays State and Duke in conference, every year. UNC and Wake isn’t a money making rivalry but they do have a contract that they play more than the every 5 or 7 year conference obligation. It’s considered out of conference. Clemson, State, and Wake play every year bc they’re in the Atlantic. Duke isn’t a rival with anybody except Carolina so they don’t bc nobody cares about Duke football

If you wanna complain, you should complain about the Miami/FSU rivalry. That’s why they play every year and the main reason the ACC took Miami. Nobody else besides UNC/State in this conference have that bc it’s first and foremost a basketball conference.

Your disdain is for the conference and all it’s members and their lack of traditional football rivalries. Not with scheduling or even Tobacco Road.

ACC would have taken Miami even if FSU wasn’t in the picture. We joined fresh off a national title.

Now they must feel duped, and I don’t blame them.

Your last paragraph is probably correct. I like the Carolinas. However the football conference is not a great fit for Miami and yes, there was a lot of Tobacco Road favoritism over the past decade especially with officiating. We went an entire season without a single holding call against an opponent. It drove normally calm Mark Richt crazy.

Once we break ground on a new stadium, that’s the first domino to fall before we join the SEC or Big 10. Stadium is the price of admission for those conferences, much like the ACC made us build a basketball arena.

I won't b/c I have never complained about Tobacco Road. Every fanbase of every team thinks the refs, league, etc is out to get them.

As for easiest division, my preference to go to this format has nothing to do with whether it would make it easier or harder; teams (especially in the ACC) go through cycles of being good and bad. I like the variety this would bring.
If someone shows you who they are believe them. I can vividly remember an entire season going by without a single holding call for us. Even though our pass rushers normally had arms around their necks and nameplates being pulled. What ACC officials have you been watching?!

Not a fan of scrapping divisions. Just imagine us and unc going 10-2 behind Clemson and since we didn’t play unc, they get in over us on some asinine tie breaker.

Yes I understand it’s happened with 3 way ties before but at least you had the chance to beat the teams you’re tied with.

There’s also going to be larger disparities with the strength of schedule within the conference. Divisions keep it somewhat even with the only exception being the crossover games.
Imagine VT finishing 7-1 in conference with a loss to Miami. Miami finishing 6-2 with a win over Clemson. Clemson finishes 6-2 and wins the Atlantic and goes to the ACC title game against VT while we sit home.

Theres positives and negatives with no divisions.

Advertisement
It’s nice to finally have an AD who speaks on behalf of the conference instead of that cuck Blake James.

Advertisement
Imagine VT finishing 7-1 in conference with a loss to Miami. Miami finishing 6-2 with a win over Clemson. Clemson finishes 6-2 and wins the Atlantic and goes to the ACC title game against VT while we sit home.

Theres positives and negatives with no divisions.
Kinda hard to be mad at someone else when you lose to two garbage coastal opponents. It’s the worst division in college football. No excuses.

ACC would have taken Miami even if FSU wasn’t in the picture. We joined fresh off a national title.

Now they must feel duped, and I don’t blame them.

Your last paragraph is probably correct. I like the Carolinas. However the football conference is not a great fit for Miami and yes, there was a lot of Tobacco Road favoritism over the past decade especially with officiating. We went an entire season without a single holding call against an opponent. It drove normally calm Mark Richt crazy.

Once we break ground on a new stadium, that’s the first domino to fall before we join the SEC or Big 10. Stadium is the price of admission for those conferences, much like the ACC made us build a basketball arena.
Liking the Carolina’s has nothing to do with the schools up here. I hate them all more than anyone on this board. And I’m not arguing that Miami doesn’t get screwed, but as you said it’s not just against the triangle schools, it’s all season. And I’m not even arguing that the ACC isn’t anti Miami as a whole. I’m just saying that it’s not tobacco rd that’s the boogeyman. It’s the conference and it’s lack of football commitment and tradition as a whole.

I’m partial to the ACC bc it’s geographically convenient for me and it’s an easy road to the conference championship. But I would not be opposed to a conference move if it meant more appeal for recruits. But as far as I’m concerned Miami should be looking forward to now dominating the ACC, unless you can get a significant upgrade in tv contracts, etc. but the commitment to sports is here now, take advantage and see what comes up, like you said in 5 years.

Advertisement
Back