SIAP — ACC Might Scrap Divisions?

ACC about to make Miami and FSU’s lives miserable. They hate the Florida teams.
Honestly besides Clemson
Not a single acc team should worry us
We got real coaching now
Our talent was always good enough to beat every acc team comfortably
We never had proper coaching leadership
By the time this is in play
Maria should have us rolling
And it shouldn’t matter who we play in the acc

Advertisement
Advertisement
ACC would need to add 1 or 2 teams to have even pods. If not we'd have an uneven number of teams in pods.

BC
Pitt
Syracuse
Louisville
(ND)

Wake
NcSt
Duke
UNC
Clem

UVA
VT
GT
FSU
Miami

Edit: 3 pods would make it simple to keep the scheduling. As you'd have 4 games within your pod, 2 against pod B, 2 against pod C, and 4 noncon games still. You can also have offset Home and Home games for cross pod-play which would have you play every team in the conference over a 3 year span, which means a player should see every single conference team on the field at least once in his career.

Last edited:
ACC would need to add 1 or 2 teams to have even pods. If not we'd have an uneven number of teams in pods.

BC
Pitt
Syracuse
Louisville
(ND)

Wake
NcSt
Duke
UNC
Clem

UVA
VT
GT
FSU
Miami

Edit: 3 pods would make it simple to keep the scheduling. As you'd have 4 games within your pod, 2 against pod B, 2 against pod C, and 4 noncon games still. You can also have offset Home and Home games for cross pod-play which would have you play every team in the conference over a 3 year span, which means a player should see every single conference team on the field at least once in his career.
What a **** draw for us in that scenario. No other pod has more than 1 historically good team. Ours has 3. That top pod is so easy ND might consider jointing the ACC

Maybe making room for Notre Dame full time? It would be nice to play some different conferences opponents.
I don't think ND is joining any conference unless we get to the point where a group of 25-30ish teams break away from the NCAA. They value their independence too much.

Advertisement
I actually like divisions and I have yet to hear a compelling argument why dividing teams into fourths or not dividing them at all is somehow better — except for teams in larger conferences rarely playing each other. But the conferences lose meaning with every passing year, so again I don’t understand why this stop gap feels revolutionary to so many people. It’s just another attempt at mathing gud.

BC
Pitt
Syracuse
Louisville
(ND)

Wake
NcSt
Duke
UNC
Clem

UVA
VT
GT
FSU
Miami

They are supposedly not looking (or at least considering) not doing pods. So Miami could have FSU, UNC and VT as our 3 teams and VT could have Miami, UVA, and NCST (not suggesting these teams, just illustrating as an example).

The reason they are doing this is to allow teams that are not in the same division to play each other more often since as it stands now, we can go a long time between playing teams and even longer time between when a team plays at your stadium. This would allow them to keep the 'rivalries', keep the schedule fresh and more diversity in the teams rotating through your stadium each year.

Last edited:
I actually like divisions and I have yet to hear a compelling argument why dividing teams into fourths or not dividing them at all is somehow better — except for teams in larger conferences rarely playing each other. But the conferences lose meaning with every passing year, so again I don’t understand why this stop gap feels revolutionary to so many people. It’s just another attempt at mathing gud.
That and the fact that you can end up with one side of the conference that is more lopsided than the other (ex: when FSU and Clemson were good at the same time and whomever won it played a trash Coastal team).

I personally like it better for the variety of opponents, but not enough so that I would be fighting for it or anything.

Advertisement
Maybe making room for Notre Dame full time? It would be nice to play some different conferences opponents.
That is really needed for the ACC. If we get ND we would get a bump to being hands down the 3rd best conference. If Clemson doesn't get back to being elite soon, we are going to end up behind the new big 12 for 5th place.

Pick eight names out of a hat and let's line up and beat them all. There isn't a team in the ACC that we should worry about. And it would be nice to shake the schedule up. We WANT a good schedule where we play the Clemson's of the world here and there. We will know who we play way in advance and can adjust our OOC schedule slightly if need be. I'm pretty sick of playing the same six Coastal teams every **** year.

I agree that it would be easier for us, but it has never sat right with me that geography determines who is in each division. That just seems crazy. I think we would be just fine with Mario leading us. I do, however, understand the reservations of some.
Geography doesn't determine who is in each division right now though. That is why there are "Atlantic" and "Coastal" divisions instead of North and South as an example. Each division has teams north of North Carolina - Syracuse, BC, and Louisville in the Atlantic and Pitt, UVA, and VT in the Coastal.

Personally, I would prefer if they made the divisions based on geography so more away games would be easier to go to. The reason why they can't though is the "South" division would be so much better than the "North" division not just on the field but in brand names - Clemson, Miami, FSU, and GT have won national titles over the past 50 years while Pitt is the only northern team to win won in 50 years.

To me, the easy solution is to tell the 4 teams with SEC in-state rivals to pound sand and make the ACC schedule a 9 game conference slate each year - like the Big 10, PAC 12, and Big 12. It would increase the number of ACC conference games for the ACC network and allow the schools to play more games against the other division.

IF ND can be persuaded to join, bring in a 16th team with them and go to 4 pods based on geography with a 9 game conference slate.

Advertisement
I don't think ND is joining any conference unless we get to the point where a group of 25-30ish teams break away from the NCAA. They value their independence too much.

Notre Dame wants no part of being in a conference for football.
Notre Dame may not have a choice. They like to pretend they’re special and their name carries so much weight but it’s not the 1960’s anymore. Every year is another year further from 1988 (their last title) and the one successful coach they’ve had in the last 20 years just took a lateral position at an SEC school.

They mentioned that they were considering a model where each team would have three permanent opponents, so FSU would definitely be one of our three. I’m guessing Virginia Tech would be another. Not sure on the third.
Probably Pitt lol ACC keeps forcing that to be a rivalry and it never will be. My gut says UNC.

Notre Dame may not have a choice. They like to pretend they’re special and their name carries so much weight but it’s not the 1960’s anymore. Every year is another year further from 1988 (their last title) and the one successful coach they’ve had in the last 20 years just took a lateral position at an SEC school.
They singlehandedly own one of the votes for the cfp or anything else that happens with it. They also sell more road or neutral game tickets than anyone, much less their TV ratings. We can hate them with a passion all we want, but until all that changes their independence and level of power at the big boy table isn't going anywhere.

Advertisement
Back