SIAP — ACC Might Scrap Divisions?

They singlehandedly own one of the votes for the cfp or anything else that happens with it. They also sell more road or neutral game tickets than anyone, much less their TV ratings. We can hate them with a passion all we want, but until all that changes their independence and level of power at the big boy table isn't going anywhere.
The NBC contract renewal should be interesting. They set a record low ratings in 2019, bounced back with a huge year in 2020 and then dipped almost 50% last year. There’s no doubt when they’re good the nation cares but just like most schools who’s fanbase isn’t made up of mostly alumni, when they’re not really good, nobody cares. Brian Kelly was huge for them. They were a 7 win program for the twenty years before he got there. I’m curious if Freeman can keep them in contention.

Advertisement
The NBC contract renewal should be interesting. They set a record low ratings in 2019, bounced back with a huge year in 2020 and then dipped almost 50% last year. There’s no doubt when they’re good the nation cares but just like most schools who’s fanbase isn’t made up of mostly alumni, when they’re not really good, nobody cares. Brian Kelly was huge for them. They were a 7 win program for the twenty years before he got there. I’m curious if Freeman can keep them in contention.
Freeman is undoubtedly the best recruiter they've ever had so at least these next few years, as we can already see now in '23, their classes will be very good. That being said his play calling & gameplan that he had an entire summer to devise to start the year against the semenholes last year was honestly the worst I can ever remember. He did everything in his power to blow that game. Then he gets the HC spot, and in his first game as that he dies exactly what he almost did against fsu by blowing a 3 td lead. His OWN defense blowing these leads, too. Maybe that's why he had to bring in the zenmaster Al Golden lol

Honestly besides Clemson
Not a single acc team should worry us
We got real coaching now
Our talent was always good enough to beat every acc team comfortably
We never had proper coaching leadership
By the time this is in play
Maria should have us rolling
And it shouldn’t matter who we play in the acc
"Not a single acc team should worry us"

The thing is, you make your life as easy as possible. Sure, nobody else worries us on paper, but we and almost every other team lose at least one game a year to somebody they were favored to beat. Even at their best, Clemson rarely just breezed through the whole schedule. Same for bama, OSU, and the 2001 Canes.

Not a fan of scrapping divisions. Just imagine us and unc going 10-2 behind Clemson and since we didn’t play unc, they get in over us on some asinine tie breaker.

Yes I understand it’s happened with 3 way ties before but at least you had the chance to beat the teams you’re tied with.

There’s also going to be larger disparities with the strength of schedule within the conference. Divisions keep it somewhat even with the only exception being the crossover games.

Advertisement
They mentioned that they were considering a model where each team would have three permanent opponents, so FSU would definitely be one of our three. I’m guessing Virginia Tech would be another. Not sure on the third.
Should be BC

My only question is why now. Other conferences have divisions, and they arent changing anything. RIght now Georgia has an easier road to the SEC championship being in the east. Everyone can see that. Again as soon as the ACC sees were gonna whip our division yearly and be in the championship game...lets do away with the 2 divs. The only thing having no divisions would accomplish is making our road to the acc championship game more difficult. And it wouldnt be be by mistake either. We would be sitting here every year debating on this very board....why is our draw so bad compared to UNC....

I have no idea what the consensus would be on this but I certainly have no emotional allegiance to Vag Tech as a "rival" and certainly not one toward UNC.

I like the idea of no divisions but just 1 rivalry game shouid be preserved. It's too easy to ***** teams (or massively benefit them) with a 3 team "pod". Just do the schedule every year with that 1 conference rival and use the best formula possible to evenly weight the remaining schedule.

In some ways I like the current divisions and in some ways I don't, kinda torn on this one. But if you look historically, most teams are finishing with 3-5 losses in the conference alone. With Mario, most years 3 losses overall in and out of conference will be our floor not our ceiling. Even our god awful year with Diaz being fired we still finished top 5 overall in the ACC. So I don't think it will be an issue either way if we continue to recruit at a high level and pay for a top staff like we have now.

Advertisement
Meh… fūck anybody else without a U on their helmet.

Weather happens or doesn’t happen, I don’t care. Nothing I can do about it anyway.

Let’s just fūcking get on with it and play ball.

Every single one of you that is saying this is a good idea, will be back on here complaining year in and year out about the “Tobacco Road” crew getting the easiest schedule. Screenshot this, bookmark it, save it, do whatever you got to do. This will age like fine wine.

I have no clue why anybody would complain about what Miami has right now. Easiest division in football and you’re mad.

Advertisement
Notre Dame may not have a choice. They like to pretend they’re special and their name carries so much weight but it’s not the 1960’s anymore. Every year is another year further from 1988 (their last title) and the one successful coach they’ve had in the last 20 years just took a lateral position at an SEC school.
ND has made the playoffs several times over the last few years and has essentially their own TV network. And it's not like they are hurting for money. What would have changed if they were part of a conference?

Probably North Carolina along with Virginia Tech and Florida State.
UNC likely doesn't feel the same. Not coz they're scared of us but ... they have many more likely opponents to be in their three.

Advertisement
UNC likely doesn't feel the same. Not coz they're scared of us but ... they have many more likely opponents to be in their three.
UNC would get NCSU, Duke and Wake as their 3 guaranteed. It's the conference's chance to rectify the "Big 4" not playing each other every year. We would get FSU, VT and then it's a guess but most likely another former Big East team. Pitt or BC are probably more likely than Syracuse

My only question is why now. Other conferences have divisions, and they arent changing anything. RIght now Georgia has an easier road to the SEC championship being in the east. Everyone can see that. Again as soon as the ACC sees were gonna whip our division yearly and be in the championship game...lets do away with the 2 divs. The only thing having no divisions would accomplish is making our road to the acc championship game more difficult. And it wouldnt be be by mistake either. We would be sitting here every year debating on this very board....why is our draw so bad compared to UNC....
But they are looking at it as well: https://247sports.com/Article/Big-T... the,football schedule is under consideration.

Every single one of you that is saying this is a good idea, will be back on here complaining year in and year out about the “Tobacco Road” crew getting the easiest schedule. Screenshot this, bookmark it, save it, do whatever you got to do. This will age like fine wine.

I have no clue why anybody would complain about what Miami has right now. Easiest division in football and you’re mad.
I won't b/c I have never complained about Tobacco Road. Every fanbase of every team thinks the refs, league, etc is out to get them.

As for easiest division, my preference to go to this format has nothing to do with whether it would make it easier or harder; teams (especially in the ACC) go through cycles of being good and bad. I like the variety this would bring.

Advertisement
Back