Shaq and Pickney struggling

Our new LBs are faster than Shaq and Pinckney, right?

I may catch a lot of crap for this - but while Shaq his first year may have not known all his assignments - he was pretty fast - pretty quick - and that enabled him to compensate for some hesitation or confusion on assignments.

I hope like Hades - that our LB's especially - don't gain that much weight - it just slows folks down so very much. A slightly lighter, but quicker and faster defensive player - yes linebackers too - may not be able to hit as hard - but at least they'll hit them rather than get out-quicked and outrun.

This ain't '80's Penn State football.

Speed kills. Disrupts. Intercepts. Interferes.

Advertisement
You can appreciate what they brought to the U while also recognizing their weaknesses.

They were both above average college linebackers who I hope exceed expectations.

That being said, I’d guess 6th and 7th round for Shaq and Pinck respectively.

Advertisement
hating on certain former players here and there I get...hating on these two, I dont get.
too many people in here forgot who has been coaching them for 4 years....

Shaq Quarterman: 356 tackles, 46.5 TFLs, 13 sacks
Mike Pinckney: 267 tackles, 42 TFLs, 14.5 sacks

In the four years before Shaq/Pickney, our average rank was 73rd in yards per play. With Shaq/Pinckney, our average ranking was 10th.

Both guys were very good LBs in the orange and green. They have flaws like 99% of players, but no two players were more instrumental in turning around our defense.
You’re an idiot

Never had a really good linebacker coach. They need to be coached up. A lot of our players move on and play well in pros, proper coaching.

Also going against the best of the best

Advertisement
They were ok. Racked up a lot of stats because they started for 4 years. But I also got sick of seeing other teams take advantage of them by passing to tight ends and backs neither could cover.

Shaq just never had the feet to make a professional player.

Nobody is hating on these players. They were appreciated while they played here. They were leaders on a team with not many of them. But just because they have the U on the helmet does not mean we as fans need to put them up there with top draft picks.

Saban has switched in recent years away from his prototypical 250lbs Lb. he knows he needed speed after Auburn and Malzahn kept exposing him. His Lb now are just freaks but most are around 225lb and fastttttttttt.

And non of those linebackers can cover no matter how “fastttttt”

Advertisement
Advertisement
While they were here...they took the criticisms like champs. They earned all of the hate and all of the love.

Now that they are on their way to the pro game, why you gotta try and dunk on them? Just support them. They gave us 100% for four years even if they weren't Jesse Armstead and Mike Barrow.

Lets evaluate them to the next level in another thread and lets let their process play out. They'll play in the league...if you don't know that or don't think that, use the time from now until we really discuss their draft stock to get your mind right.

Pinckney was better in coverage when he got here, both are terrible in space

Huff & Brooks Era me

"Ha, you should see my Special Teams"
fl-sp-um-hurricanes-bowl-banda-patke-20181218

Assuming they play ILB in the NFL, they won't be asked to cover 1 on 1, they'll mostly play zone.

This, they'd most likely slot into a team that runs a zone heavy 3-4 scheme or as a mike in a 4-3, Pickney intrigues me, he could probably replace Lorenzo Alexander in Buffalo as the OLB/Edge

Advertisement
Back