Shannon Dawson w/Josh Pate

In the Mario sit down, Pate said that the first thing Dawson told him was that he (Dawson) thinks we'll be able to run the ball effectively. And if that's true, we'll see the best UM offense we've seen since 2017 (?). It'll take pressure off TVD and it'll open the passing game up. The stable of RBs we have allows us to rotate in fresh legs, and they all offer something different.

Obviously we've only seen very minimal with our offense but from the Houston clips, you can see that Dawson is going to get his playmakers the balls in space. Quick screens or taking advantage of the coverage. X, Harrell, Ray Ray and Smith are all playmakers and will have plenty of chances to make big plays that we were severely lacking last year.
The offenses we had in 2020 and 2021 were much better than what we had in 2017.

But yes, we should be able have a nice balance. I really like the improvements up front and we've got some nice pieces at running back. WR should be interesting. I'm not sure we have a go-to WR1 type but there's plenty of solid depth there.

Advertisement

But yes, we should be able have a nice balance. I really like the improvements up front and we've got some nice pieces at running back. WR should be interesting. I'm not sure we have a go-to WR1 type but there's plenty of solid depth there.

If Young gives us 800 yards, we will be in good shape.

If he can do 1000, we will really be cooking.

As much as I appreciated Lashlee bringing us into modern day offense, his run game playcalling was @ss.

The little bit of research I did on Dawson, I fully expect us to run the ball better than any of the two previous regimes

I’m really looking forward to the screen game under Dawson

As much as I appreciated Lashlee bringing us into modern day offense, his run game playcalling was @ss.

The little bit of research I did on Dawson, I fully expect us to run the ball better than any of the two previous regimes

I’m really looking forward to the screen game under Dawson
Was it the play calling or was it the combination of a terrible line and no running backs? They averaged 160 yards per game in 2020 and the first half of 2021. Then, Can Harris got hurt and the running game fell off a cliff. In 2022 we bring in Josh Gattis and his deep playbook of running plays and the running game got worse. The whole “he calls the same running plays” argument went out the window after that.

Was it the play calling or was it the combination of a terrible line and no running backs? They averaged 160 yards per game in 2020 and the first half of 2021. Then, Can Harris got hurt and the running game fell off a cliff. In 2022 we bring in Josh Gattis and his deep playbook of running plays and the running game got worse. The whole “he calls the same running plays” argument went out the window after that.

Ok so the Lashlee run game was good then??? His run game consisted of A-gap dives in consecutive plays. There was zero creativity. Roman from OBB has well documented the same statement. But you know better, and 1 RB getting hurt excuses everything…. Gtfoh

Go derail something else.

Advertisement
For real.

24 against everyone
19 against FBS
17 against P5

Meanwhile just one year prior we averaged
34 against everyone
31 against FBS
31.5 against P5 (only scoring 25 against App State dragged down the average for non-p5 opponents)

Mind you, we got those numbers with almost the exact same players on offense.
It's just what App St does to teams.

Advertisement
Ok so the Lashlee run game was good then??? His run game consisted of A-gap dives in consecutive plays. There was zero creativity. Roman from OBB has well documented the same statement. But you know better, and 1 RB getting hurt excuses everything…. Gtfoh

Go derail something else.
I listed numbers that backed up my statement. You listed opinions. The facts are in the numbers look them up. Also, it wasn’t just one running back getting hurt. We had also already lost Citizen and Chaney for the season and we’re left with Knighton and a walk-on as our only running backs.

Gattis had great creativity in the run game though. Traps, counters, sweeps. The run game really took off once the play calling got more “creative” , right?

Lashlee took over an offense that ranked 84th in F+ the year before he got here and produced:

26 in ‘20
38 in ‘21

Dawson has never really had that kind of success before. I’d gladly take him just being Lashlee right now.

I listed numbers that backed up my statement. You listed opinions. The facts are in the numbers look them up. Also, it wasn’t just one running back getting hurt. We had also already lost Citizen and Chaney for the season and we’re left with Knighton and a walk-on as our only running backs.

Gattis had great creativity in the run game though. Traps, counters, sweeps. The run game really took off once the play calling got more “creative” , right?
I hope those run plays are still apart of football.

Heres what the Mark Richt teams at Miami did, with a 20 year old playbook and every 3rd passing play bring 4 verts

29 - Kaaya
34 - Rosier
29 - Rosier Kosi flip flop

at some point I’ll move on, but what Gattis did was **** near criminal. I hope he gets fired at Maryland mid season

30ppg is the floor for Dawson. If we can be at or above 35ppg, we can be baptized from the Gattis filth and take off like we all expected

Go Canes
It is utterly shocking that he's even employed in football, let alone being an offensive coordinator. Locksley should be fired just for hiring him, I'm not joking.

Advertisement
It was all 3 but mostly the play calling, Lashlee doesn't get a pass

That’s how it felt for sure

I also don’t want to make this seem like a huge deal but it’s also why I pump the brakes when everyone gets in a fever about hiring someone “young and innovative”

A coach has to be a teacher, something that usually comes with age and experience. Calling cool plays is part of the deal sure but it’s little things like this that has me optimistic about Dawson. I like his offense a lot, but also really like how the man carries himself, and when he speaks, I believe him.
I feel you, but young and innovative coaches is why the game is what it is today in the pros and college. Those guys age and become wiser with time of course, but you don’t need experience to be a great teacher. You just need to be open minded and not arrogant thinking you’re smarter than other veteran guys around you. Good coaches are good listeners. They listen to their students and predecessors. Take Shattis for instance. He thought he was the smartest guy around and arrogant. He did not listen to what the players like to run. He did not listen to older guys that have had success in the game (Ponce) and thought he was smarter than them. If he came in and asked TVD what he liked to do and built his offense around him he would have succeeded here. If he didn’t butt heads with Ponce and picked his brain and gained experience from him they would both still be here. Buddy would be looked at for coaching jobs next year but because he wasn’t such an ******* 😂

Advertisement
Lashlee took over an offense that ranked 84th in F+ the year before he got here and produced:

26 in ‘20
38 in ‘21

Dawson has never really had that kind of success before. I’d gladly take him just being Lashlee right now.
I’d rate the Dawson hire as a notch below the Lashlee hire but Mario should be able to attract much better talent than Manny so hopefully the talent advantage can bridge the gap.

How’d the running game look when Gattis called a bunch of different runs?
they’re arguing the right thing for the wrong reason. Diversity in the run game matters none when every variation of a run you call gets stuffed. On the other side lashlee was more successful in his run game with his 1 or two designated plays. He called what he thought his offensive line could handle. Humor me what do you think a lashlee and Mario Cristobal marriage would have looked like? I think that’s a top 10 offensive unit every year

they’re arguing the right thing for the wrong reason. Diversity in the run game matters none when every variation of a run you call gets stuffed. On the other side lashlee was more successful in his run game with his 1 or two designated plays. He called what he thought his offensive line could handle. Humor me what do you think a lashlee and Mario Cristobal marriage would have looked like? I think that’s a top 10 offensive unit every year
It’s a common misconception here that Lashlee was some pass heavy air raid guy and he didn’t care about running the ball. He spent most of his career under Gus Malzahn running a hyper fast, run-first spread offense. He immediately got D’Eriq King to transfer here because he wanted an athletic quarterback to run that system. They ran the ball more than they passed it in 2020. They also averaged 163 yards per game. Considering the players we had on the offensive line, that was pretty solid. I think he would have killed it under Mario simply because the offensive line situation is going to be better than what he had under Manny. It’s also why I believe Shannon Dawson will succeed here. He doesn’t have to scheme around a weak offensive line here.

I feel you, but young and innovative coaches is why the game is what it is today in the pros and college. Those guys age and become wiser with time of course, but you don’t need experience to be a great teacher. You just need to be open minded and not arrogant thinking you’re smarter than other veteran guys around you. Good coaches are good listeners. They listen to their students and predecessors. Take Shattis for instance. He thought he was the smartest guy around and arrogant. He did not listen to what the players like to run. He did not listen to older guys that have had success in the game (Ponce) and thought he was smarter than them. If he came in and asked TVD what he liked to do and built his offense around him he would have succeeded here. If he didn’t butt heads with Ponce and picked his brain and gained experience from him they would both still be here. Buddy would be looked at for coaching jobs next year but because he wasn’t such an ******* 😂
Oh for sure I definitely wasn’t saying “young and innovative” was a bad thing and young people can absolutely be great teachers, and in an lot of cases they can relate better to the players than older coaches might. So it’s a balance in there. Age ain’t nothing but a number and all that.

Just wanted to add a little perspective on it is all. Sometimes we can all get a little hung up on the Madden approach to this.

But also “innovative” isn’t really a fair term. There isn’t really any actual innovation when it comes to concepts and play calls. Gattis had absolutely no feel for the game and how it flows that was painfully obvious

Advertisement
Back