Shannon Dawson w/Josh Pate

How’d the running game look when Gattis called a bunch of different runs?
****** but still better than Lashlee's. Gained more yards rushing than Lashlee's one year with TVD, had same ypc (3.7), and had absolutely NO passing game to take pressure off the run game which is a huge factor.

So yeah, Lashlee's run game was absolute **** and worse than what the worst Offensive Coordinator in the school's history could produce.

Advertisement
I’m curious how things play out at Maryland. Locksley already referred to Gattis’ offense as watching paint dry during their spring game.
That’s Locksley’s offense man lol. He’s in control over there.

I listed numbers that backed up my statement. You listed opinions. The facts are in the numbers look them up. Also, it wasn’t just one running back getting hurt. We had also already lost Citizen and Chaney for the season and we’re left with Knighton and a walk-on as our only running backs.

Gattis had great creativity in the run game though. Traps, counters, sweeps. The run game really took off once the play calling got more “creative” , right?
While true, you cant keep trying to jam a 180 lb RB right into the middle of a VERY weak line over and over again, which is exactly what he did. No gaps, no space created. Just slam a little guy into a pile of big guys that were already shoved 1-2 yards into the backfield by the time Knighton got the handoff.

Don’t listen to this post, Dawson gives good insight imo. It’s far from “boring”.
Boring to a lot of our fan base involves anything that isn’t a go route getting housed for 65 yards. Is what it is…

You get hear about how he perceives the drops (a real issue with our squad in recent years) and attempts to build them up, blocking, etc …some good stuff in there.

Oh for sure I definitely wasn’t saying “young and innovative” was a bad thing and young people can absolutely be great teachers, and in an lot of cases they can relate better to the players than older coaches might. So it’s a balance in there. Age ain’t nothing but a number and all that.

Just wanted to add a little perspective on it is all. Sometimes we can all get a little hung up on the Madden approach to this.

But also “innovative” isn’t really a fair term. There isn’t really any actual innovation when it comes to concepts and play calls. Gattis had absolutely no feel for the game and how it flows that was painfully obvious
I do think there’s “innovative” & that’s just taking different concepts and play styles and making your own style. But true innovation is something that’s not always seen before and changes the game. Football’s is forever changing w that’s a good thing imo.

Advertisement
Boring to a lot of our fan base involves anything that isn’t a go route getting housed for 65 yards. Is what it is…

You get hear about how he perceives the drops (a real issue with our squad in recent years) and attempts to build them up, blocking, etc …some good stuff in there.

Totally agree. His philosophy and demeanor I liked, and I think he should do well here. Dawson has an eye for QB talent and has a nice history of developing guys.

We shall see what he does when the bullets are flying but, as I said in another post, 30ppg has got to be our floor.

****** but still better than Lashlee's. Gained more yards rushing than Lashlee's one year with TVD, had same ypc (3.7), and had absolutely NO passing game to take pressure off the run game which is a huge factor.

So yeah, Lashlee's run game was absolute **** and worse than what the worst Offensive Coordinator in the school's history could produce.
You sure about that? Gattis averaged fewer yards per game than Lashlee in 2021 and fewer yards per carry. Even if you want to use your numbers, all that means is Gattis called more running plays. They weren't any more successful. Not to mention, Gattis had Parrish to carry a majority of the load and got another 200+ yards from a backup quarterback. Whereas Lashlee had Knighton and nobody else for the entire second half of the 2021 season. Prior to Cam Harris' injury they were averaging 160 yards per game.

My whole point is that most of Miami's struggles running the ball were due to personnel and not playbook. Everyone that thought just calling different plays would improve the running game was wrong,

While true, you cant keep trying to jam a 180 lb RB right into the middle of a VERY weak line over and over again, which is exactly what he did. No gaps, no space created. Just slam a little guy into a pile of big guys that were already shoved 1-2 yards into the backfield by the time Knighton got the handoff.
Agree that it was a losing proposition but you're really left with no other option. There was no other running back to give the ball to and you can't just call a bunch of sweeps and tosses, especially when your line can't block the most basic fundamental running plays. Everything in a zone blocking scheme runs off two plays. inside zone and outside zone. From there, you can change things up by adding the zone read element, a buck sweep or the counter. If you can't block inside zone, you can't block any of those other things. Also, the zone read game with TVD is really only something you call once in a while as a changeup. you can't really expect him to carry your running game with his legs.

You sure about that? Gattis averaged fewer yards per game than Lashlee in 2021 and fewer yards per carry. Even if you want to use your numbers, all that means is Gattis called more running plays. They weren't any more successful. Not to mention, Gattis had Parrish to carry a majority of the load and got another 200+ yards from a backup quarterback. Whereas Lashlee had Knighton and nobody else for the entire second half of the 2021 season. Prior to Cam Harris' injury they were averaging 160 yards per game.

My whole point is that most of Miami's struggles running the ball were due to personnel and not playbook. Everyone that thought just calling different plays would improve the running game was wrong,
I wonder when Miami stops giving a **** about the run and cares about the pass.

The run is a complimentary piece and not the dictator of the offense.

Advertisement
I wonder when Miami stops giving a **** about the run and cares about the pass.

The run is a complimentary piece and not the dictator of the offense.
It depends. It's not quite like the NFL where everything revolves around the pass and you only run to keep the defense honest. In college you can still have a dominant offense that runs more than it passes. The thing is, it's not like it was 30 years ago where you ran the ball to set up the pass. Now you use the threat of a pass out of spread formations to give you more space to run the ball. Pretty much every top rushing offense that's not a service academy plays almost exclusively from spread formations. The old 'lineup in the I formation with an extra tight end" is non-existent today and nobody outside of fans who still think it's 1995 still care about using it.

To your point though. Miami essentially lost the ability to run the ball consistently for the entire second half of 2021 yet still averaged 36 points per game against all P5 competition. So is running the ball really that important when you can still get 36 points through the air?

Now you use the threat of a pass out of spread formations to give you more space to run the ball. Pretty much every top rushing offense that's not a service academy plays almost exclusively from spread formations.
Exactly.

Miami essentially lost the ability to run the ball consistently for the entire second half of 2021 yet still averaged 36 points per game against all P5 competition. So is running the ball really that important when you can still get 36 points through the air?
Ex****ingactly.

Exactly.

Ex****ingactly.

Redzone and short yardage were my biggest gripes with Lashlee

2E41991A-1536-486C-B4E4-F8D51E661870.png

Passing.png

Top 15 (and up to Kansas for fun) of Passing Yards Per Game, and their PPG and YPP
Rushing.PNG

Top 15 (and up to LSU) of Rushing YPG, and their PPG and YPP

Green highlight is 35+ PPG (forgot to highlight Bama in passing chart)
Teal highlight is 40+ PPG (plus Oregon for being in top 10 of both passing and rushing)
Orange are teams on the list that failed to reach 30+ PPG OR at least 5.9 YPP (5.9 would be top 25)
In hindsight. I wish I could've included the Run/Pass ratio of every team on the list, and did Yards per Rush as opposed to rushing yards per game.

Advertisement
Slowly trudging through the video during work.

Random:
-Riley Williams shows up on several plays. Interesting that he is getting so much run.
-I think Colbie is going to grab 45+ this year. I've seen him in person a few times and he looks leaned out from last year. I expect big things provided he and TVD (and the line) stay healthy.

they’re arguing the right thing for the wrong reason. Diversity in the run game matters none when every variation of a run you call gets stuffed. On the other side lashlee was more successful in his run game with his 1 or two designated plays. He called what he thought his offensive line could handle. Humor me what do you think a lashlee and Mario Cristobal marriage would have looked like? I think that’s a top 10 offensive unit every year

My beef with Lashlee was he never pulled anything out of his hat against the better defenses.

Keeping it simple is great, but when you play better defenses, you have to be creative and use their discipline against them.

Like against Bama, they constantly stuffed the inside zone, but the draw was effective. We didn’t run it nearly enough. You need a talent advantage with the way he called the offense. If you are the less talented team, it can be tough sledding.

It isn’t fair to compare Lashlee to Gattis run game wise due to the injuries to quarterback and offensive line. We ran decent when healthy. It was the abysmal passing game that did us in.

I want a coach who can mix it up, build on his core base of plays, and install opponent specific plays to break tendencies. Develop a quick passing game that isn’t just bubble screeens and get the ball out of the quarterbacks hands. No more hanging our guys out to dry looking at the backs of receivers with no hot route.

I hope Dawson can be that guy.

Advertisement
My beef with Lashlee was he never pulled anything out of his hat against the better defenses.

Keeping it simple is great, but when you play better defenses, you have to be creative and use their discipline against them.

Like against Bama, they constantly stuffed the inside zone, but the draw was effective. We didn’t run it nearly enough. You need a talent advantage with the way he called the offense. If you are the less talented team, it can be tough sledding.

It isn’t fair to compare Lashlee to Gattis run game wise due to the injuries to quarterback and offensive line. We ran decent when healthy. It was the abysmal passing game that did us in.

I want a coach who can mix it up, build on his core base of plays, and install opponent specific plays to break tendencies. Develop a quick passing game that isn’t just bubble screeens and get the ball out of the quarterbacks hands. No more hanging our guys out to dry looking at the backs of receivers with no hot route.

I hope Dawson can be that guy.
It's not fair to compare Lashlee to Gattis because of injuries to QB and OL, but it's fair to assess Lashlee against . . . Bama? Seriously?

It's not fair to compare Lashlee to Gattis because of injuries to QB and OL, but it's fair to assess Lashlee against . . . Bama? Seriously?

Lashlee is a very good offensive coach. He has weaknesses that keep him out of the offensive guru category.

There was too big of a drop off between the good defenses and our lesser opponents.

I don’t expect miracles, but there were times his play calling gave us no chance.

Gattis was awful, but the injury situation made him look much worse than he actually is.

One thing to remember is that the shorter the field, the more important a strong O line becomes. That's not a luxury we've had in quite a while.

Remember when people were down on Lashlee because he hadn't "really" been an OC under Malzahn?

One thing to remember is that the shorter the field, the more important a strong O line becomes. That's not a luxury we've had in quite a while.

Remember when people were down on Lashlee because he hadn't "really" been an OC under Malzahn?

Imagine having a guy like Young down around the goal line in a game like A&M to create a passing option…

Some guys have all the luck…

Advertisement
Back