Shannon Dawson w/Josh Pate

Advertisement
Honestly, what Dawson wants to do on offense isn’t Earth shattering. He’s not doing anything crazy. It’s just basic Air Raid stuff. You don’t need huge playbooks and 25 different formations with exotic personnel packages to be good on offense. You make it simple. And you make it to where decisions are automatic for the quarterback. You see X and you do Y. No need to overthink everything.
Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

Bro style at this moment.. many will deny but majority supported that bs til we were last school in nation running that crap piling up losses..

These guys fist pump fullback in the flats as some type of secret play for quadtrine hill while the scoreboard moved at a snail pace.. I'll never forgive them while many upstart teams around the country enjoyed a many Saturdays watching their team move up and down the field with ease and nary an entire roster of NFL players needed

“Because if it doesn’t make sense to him (TVD), then it doesn’t matter what I know”

Pretty much sums up what we watched last year. It’s the only way an OC can make TVD, Garcia etc look like they’ve never played the game before
That was one of the most telling quotes on there. Gattis was the smartest person in the room and everyone else needed to be where he is or you just suck

That was one of the most telling quotes on there. Gattis was the smartest person in the room and everyone else needed to be where he is or you just suck
That’s how it felt for sure

I also don’t want to make this seem like a huge deal but it’s also why I pump the brakes when everyone gets in a fever about hiring someone “young and innovative”

A coach has to be a teacher, something that usually comes with age and experience. Calling cool plays is part of the deal sure but it’s little things like this that has me optimistic about Dawson. I like his offense a lot, but also really like how the man carries himself, and when he speaks, I believe him.

Advertisement
That’s how it felt for sure

I also don’t want to make this seem like a huge deal but it’s also why I pump the brakes when everyone gets in a fever about hiring someone “young and innovative”

A coach has to be a teacher, something that usually comes with age and experience. Calling cool plays is part of the deal sure but it’s little things like this that has me optimistic about Dawson. I like his offense a lot, but also really like how the man carries himself, and when he speaks, I believe him.
When hiring a younger coordinator, I want to know who he worked under and what is his offense taking from them. A guy like Rhett Lashlee, to me was a home run hire. You were getting a guy who was raised on Gus Malzahn no huddle who then got a master’s degree in Sonny Dykes air raid.

Josh Gattis, on the other hand was a career wide receivers coach who never worked extensively under anyone. He had three years as a WR coach under Joe Moorehead at Penn State and a year under Mike Locksley at Alabama. He had zero play calling experience before getting hired at Michigan where he sucked for two seasons before finally putting together a good year with the nation’s top offensive line. There’s nothing on his resume that says “this guy paid his dues and cut his teeth mastering a system”. He just got jobs handed to him because there’s still head coaches (not many) who still prefer bro-style offenses. I’m curious how things play out at Maryland. Locksley already referred to Gattis’ offense as watching paint dry during their spring game.

We scored 18PPG last year.....just gimme 30 and we're 9-3 minimum

Heres what the Mark Richt teams at Miami did, with a 20 year old playbook and every 3rd passing play bring 4 verts

29 - Kaaya
34 - Rosier
29 - Rosier Kosi flip flop

at some point I’ll move on, but what Gattis did was **** near criminal. I hope he gets fired at Maryland mid season

30ppg is the floor for Dawson. If we can be at or above 35ppg, we can be baptized from the Gattis filth and take off like we all expected

Go Canes

Heres what the Mark Richt teams at Miami did, with a 20 year old playbook and every 3rd passing play bring 4 verts

29 - Kaaya
34 - Rosier

at some point I’ll move on, but what Gattis did was **** near criminal. I hope he gets fired at Maryland mid season

30ppg is the floor for Dawson. If we can be at or above 35ppg, we can be baptized from the Gattis filth and take off like we all expected

Go Canes
I agree with you but you flipped the points averages for 2016 and 2017.

Also, those numbers include FCS opponents. If you include The Bethune Cookman game, Gattis' scoring jumps to 23.6 points.

Advertisement

29 - Kaaya
34 - Rosier

Go Canes

Honestly it depends on our OL health.

Nelson, Cohen, Lee, Cooper Mauigoa (mix in Rivers, Sagapolo, Okunlola etc) and we should be able to put up more than 30 points per game we with talent we have on offense. I also am not talking about throwing up 99 points against Bethune and Ohio to raise the average.

I don't think I have ever seen a UM team as injured as last years but that is ok. Going from finesse to smash mouth requires a mindset change a lot cannot make (see departures).

It would not surprise me at all to see drastic improvement on offense this year.

To your point against P5 we averaged 16.8

Just ******* kill me
For real.

24 against everyone
19 against FBS
17 against P5

Meanwhile just one year prior we averaged
34 against everyone
31 against FBS
31.5 against P5 (only scoring 25 against App State dragged down the average for non-p5 opponents)

Mind you, we got those numbers with almost the exact same players on offense.

Advertisement

Nelson, Cohen, Lee, Cooper Mauigoa (mix in Rivers, Sagapolo, Okunlola etc) and we should be able to put up more than 30 points per game we with talent we have on offense. I also am not talking about throwing up 99 points against Bethune and Ohio to raise the average.

I don't think I have ever seen a UM team as injured as last years but that is ok. Going from finesse to smash mouth requires a mindset change a lot cannot make (see departures).

It would not surprise me at all to see drastic improvement on offense this year.
TVD is still TVD as well

We aren’t that far removed from potential Heisman candidate talk with him

Whenever I see big turnarounds by teams it’s usually led by a really good veteran QB. Not sure what it’s going to look like this year, but on paper, yeah I am with you

TVD is still TVD as well

We aren’t that far removed from potential Heisman candidate talk with him

Whenever I see big turnarounds by teams it’s usually led by a really good veteran QB. Not sure what it’s going to look like this year, but on paper, yeah I am with you
I did not include him, RB, WR and TE's because all of those rooms are capable of putting up more than 30 PPG

Oregon fans warned us about that and it came to fruition, kinda like how we warned fans about past coaches and they didnt listen.. Injuries happen but I have never seen sooooooo many practice injuries that took players out for long term, not even games just like UO fans warned, guys just popping up before games as out even in season like Restrepo before AM.. Zion, Citizen, Chaney, Restrepo, Arroyo, etc. I NEVER seen anything like that, that neanderthal mindset needs to e evaluated because does it matter if you are the baddest toughest team if you have key players out for extended time?

Advertisement
I did not include him, RB, WR and TE's because all of those rooms are capable of putting up more than 30 PPG
To your point, it all starts up front

We could see 4-5 completely new starters up front which is kinda crazy. Lee, Cohen, Mauigoa, Samson etc Zion basically didn’t play last year so he could somewhat fit that description

Pretty wild. Major upgrades for sure.

Honestly, what Dawson wants to do on offense isn’t Earth shattering. He’s not doing anything crazy. It’s just basic Air Raid stuff. You don’t need huge playbooks and 25 different formations with exotic personnel packages to be good on offense. You make it simple. And you make it to where decisions are automatic for the quarterback. You see X and you do Y. No need to overthink everything.
Exactly. It's like connect the dots. Man, I hope we're fun to watch.

We averaged 34 PPG on 2021.

Why can't we average that this year?

TVD seems focused and now had a season that I think motivates him to be great this year. He is back in an offense he is more comfortable in with the air raid passing concepts.

The OL should be a big strength.

I like our WR's in this offense.

In the Mario sit down, Pate said that the first thing Dawson told him was that he (Dawson) thinks we'll be able to run the ball effectively. And if that's true, we'll see the best UM offense we've seen since 2017 (?). It'll take pressure off TVD and it'll open the passing game up. The stable of RBs we have allows us to rotate in fresh legs, and they all offer something different.

Obviously we've only seen very minimal with our offense but from the Houston clips, you can see that Dawson is going to get his playmakers the balls in space. Quick screens or taking advantage of the coverage. X, Harrell, Ray Ray and Smith are all playmakers and will have plenty of chances to make big plays that we were severely lacking last year.

Advertisement
Back