Serious questions about Randy Shannon...

I'd take him back as a DC, if Richt sees it fit. In any case almost every DC is reliant on the talent he has, maybe more so than on Offense. UGA had some bad defenses at times during Richt tenure as well. We need someone with experience as a play caller. A lot of times we are crying about the scheme but its actually the play calling that's the problem where our guy is getting outsmart by the person on the other sideline.

Advertisement
I ask because someone I know who is close to the program said that his name has come up. Of course, that could mean anything, but Shannon would not have been on my list. Just wondering if I was missing something.

I heard Randy was making calls down here but I have no idea if he is seriously being considered for any position on this staff. GO CANES

Advertisement
I'd take him back as a DC, if Richt sees it fit. In any case almost every DC is reliant on the talent he has, maybe more so than on Offense. UGA had some bad defenses at times during Richt tenure as well. We need someone with experience as a play caller. A lot of times we are crying about the scheme but its actually the play calling that's the problem where our guy is getting outsmart by the person on the other sideline.

THIS!!!! Sometimes you have to KNOW when to call the right blitz, pinch the lineman, or Press the coverage.

Advertisement
If you have to ask yourself why someone hasn't even been a DC again since he left here then you might have your answer.

By choice tho...

Yep. Just like Mario has stayed a positions corch. By choice.
He’s expected to boost the Gators’ recruiting reach, especially in South Florida and California, but also serve as sounding board and confidant for McElwain as a former head coach.

“He was a guy that was at the top of my list from a standpoint of the people and how they speak about his integrity, his discipline and his organization and ball-coaching ability,” McElwain said.

“The thing that gets lost, man, this guy is a great ball coach. … I feel it was an unbelievable hire to be able to get that done.”

Shannon was an assistant coach at Arkansas the past two seasons, but said he “didn’t want to get comfortable with [that] situation.”

He refuses to discuss his tenure as UM head coach, or the Nevin Shapiro scandal.

“I never look back,” said Shannon, who was fired in 2010 after going 28-22 at UM.

“If you keep looking back, you’ll forget about something, you’ll miss opportunities. … When you keep looking back in life, you’re going to miss out on a lot of opportunities. … Find a way to wash it and move forward.”

Shannon, 48, is excited about his new opportunity in Gainesville, and said he hasn’t caught too much flak from Hurricanes faithful.

He said he has turned down head-coaching offers in recent years but wants to be a head coach again someday.

Unlike his new Gators pullover, the timing and fit simply aren’t right.

“I look at my job at hand,” he said. “My job at hand is being apart of Florida’s staff and I’m excited about it.

“I’ve been offered defensive coordinator jobs, head-coaching jobs, but it wasn’t the right fit at that particular time. I’m not a guy that’s gonna rush into anything. Right now, my total focus is being at Florida and trying to get to a point where we can make Florida one of the teams in America that people are going to look at like they’ve done in the past and we can get it done.”

Read more here: New Gators assistant Randy Shannon won?t discuss UM tenure: ?I never look back? | Miami Herald

Randy may not be a good head coach. But i dont know if you can call him a liar or say he cant coach defense.

If you have to ask yourself why someone hasn't even been a DC again since he left here then you might have your answer.

By choice tho...

He’s expected to boost the Gators’ recruiting reach, especially in South Florida and California, but also serve as sounding board and confidant for McElwain as a former head coach.

“He was a guy that was at the top of my list from a standpoint of the people and how they speak about his integrity, his discipline and his organization and ball-coaching ability,” McElwain said.

“The thing that gets lost, man, this guy is a great ball coach. … I feel it was an unbelievable hire to be able to get that done.”

Shannon was an assistant coach at Arkansas the past two seasons, but said he “didn’t want to get comfortable with [that] situation.”

He refuses to discuss his tenure as UM head coach, or the Nevin Shapiro scandal.

“I never look back,” said Shannon, who was fired in 2010 after going 28-22 at UM.

“If you keep looking back, you’ll forget about something, you’ll miss opportunities. … When you keep looking back in life, you’re going to miss out on a lot of opportunities. … Find a way to wash it and move forward.”

Shannon, 48, is excited about his new opportunity in Gainesville, and said he hasn’t caught too much flak from Hurricanes faithful.

He said he has turned down head-coaching offers in recent years but wants to be a head coach again someday.

“I look at my job at hand,” he said. “My job at hand is being apart of Florida’s staff and I’m excited about it.

“I’ve been offered defensive coordinator jobs, head-coaching jobs, but it wasn’t the right fit at that particular time. I’m not a guy that’s gonna rush into anything. Right now, my total focus is being at Florida and trying to get to a point where we can make Florida one of the teams in America that people are going to look at like they’ve done in the past and we can get it done.”

Read more here: New Gators assistant Randy Shannon won?t discuss UM tenure: ?I never look back? | Miami Herald

Randy may not be a good head coach. But i dont know if you can call him a liar or say he cant coach defense.

If you go 6 years bouncing around as a positions corch when you (supposedly) were offered DC and HC jobs then it'd actually be preferable to be called a liar than a moron. Ol Randy not gonna rush into anything, eh? Dude needs a decade to decide to make that big leap again, huh?

Randy was a wonderful DC with Butch's players.

However, he sucked after they matriculated.

Jeff Bowden made him look good.

He could not stop Jimbo to save his life.

Advertisement

By choice tho...

If you go 6 years bouncing around as a positions corch when you (supposedly) were offered DC and HC jobs then it'd actually be preferable to be called a liar than a moron. Ol Randy not gonna rush into anything, eh? Dude needs a decade to decide to make that big leap again, huh?

Why would he lie though? When did Randy shannon become some liar to look good?

There are over 100 schools and you honestly think no one has asked him to coach as a DC or a HC?

Why can't he be traveling and working on his craft; learning from other head coaches around the nation as he suggested?

why does he have to take every gig that comes across the table to to say he took it?

Hes still getting a nice paycheck just coming to be a "position coach"

But yeah, go take a dumpster fire job just so you can impress tad and franchise on the insight boards. cool...

By choice tho...

Do actual semi-functioning humans buy this loaf of ****?

It's why Nigerian email scams still exist. Someone has to be gullible enough to take the bait. They walk among us.

Advertisement
By choice tho...

Why would he lie though? When did Randy shannon become some liar to look good?

There are over 100 schools and you honestly think no one has asked him to coach as a DC or a HC?

Why can't he be traveling and working on his craft; learning from other head coaches around the nation as he suggested?

why does he have to take every gig that comes across the table to to say he took it?

Hes still getting a nice paycheck just coming to be a "position coach"

But yeah, go take a dumpster fire job just so you can impress tad and franchise on the insight boards. cool...

Funny how it's always the unemployed or underemployed (in their minds) coaches that are "working on their craft", eh?

By choice tho...

Do actual semi-functioning humans buy this loaf of ****?

It's why Nigerian email scams still exist. Someone has to be gullible enough to take the bait. They walk among us.
Canezum, what's your email address? I'm telling you ahead of time that I'm going to email you as a fake Nigerian prince and ask you to send me money, and I guarantee you I'll get your money.

Advertisement
Back