Serious questions about Randy Shannon...

MiamiMD93

Recruit
He is currently the associate head coach, co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Florida. They finished the year ranked #6 in total defense. His salary is $400K.

Would he be a viable option as DC under Richt?

Would he consider coming back to the place where he was fired as HC?

Would the University consider hiring him after he sued them? (they did settle out of court quickly, and according to the statement from the University, it was amicable.)

What does the collective mind here think?

Advertisement
This is even more far-fetched than Butch coming back. Ruminate on that and ask yourself again.

I ask because someone I know who is close to the program said that his name has come up. Of course, that could mean anything, but Shannon would not have been on my list. Just wondering if I was missing something.

I was a huge, huge fan of Randy when he was here as DC. I thought his system was better than Schiano's, was easier for the players, etc.

But when you go back and watch those games now, and look at the stats, I actually think after 2001 he underachieved a little given the unparalleled talent he had. It's unfathomable that teams could have moved the ball on us at all when you look at the rosters.

Advertisement
just the vision of him standing on our sideline in orange and green is giving me a headache, he is a huge reason we are in the situation we find ourselves in today..stay up there in the swamp land, richt will find someone better.

This is even more far-fetched than Butch coming back. Ruminate on that and ask yourself again.

I am not saying that I was in favor, and he would not have been on my radar at all. His name came up in a conversation I had and I wanted to see what others would think.

I think some of us would have said it was far-fetched to see him at UF. Stranger things have happened in CFB.

I was a huge, huge fan of Randy when he was here as DC. I thought his system was better than Schiano's, was easier for the players, etc.

But when you go back and watch those games now, and look at the stats, I actually think after 2001 he underachieved a little given the unparalleled talent he had. It's unfathomable that teams could have moved the ball on us at all when you look at the rosters.

That was similar to my first question to my friend. Was he really a great DC, or did he benefit from the incredible amount of raw talent that was on the roster while he was DC? Was he the DC equivalent of Coker as HC?

That was similar to my first question to my friend. Was he really a great DC, or did he benefit from the incredible amount of raw talent that was on the roster while he was DC? Was he the DC equivalent of Coker as HC?

He was definitely not the DC equivalent of Coker. He was like his counterpart Chud, to be honest. Young, inexperienced, and when the talent level wasn't performing like NFL studs, not as effective. Frankly, Chud was more impacted by talent level than Randy, as you could see the massive dropoff after 2002 when Dre and Kenny left.

I think it's criminal that he hasn't gotten another real DC job, unless there is more to his involvement in Shapiro than was made public. I think having all that talent and not holding teams to historical lows probably hurt his stock. In the end, he's a very solid DC, nothing more nothing less.

Advertisement

I've never heard it put that way, but you might have hit it exactly on the head.

Clappy and Randy won a NC didn't they? Randy would jump at the chance to come back home but I doubt Richt has him in mind.

Do you want a guy working under you that used to have your job.

I dont think so.

You need unity and that situation just begs of having one dude on the staff questioning everything thinking he could have done it better and that he should have your job.

Advertisement
If you have to ask yourself why someone hasn't even been a DC again since he left here then you might have your answer.

Advertisement

He was definitely not the DC equivalent of Coker. He was like his counterpart Chud, to be honest. Young, inexperienced, and when the talent level wasn't performing like NFL studs, not as effective. Frankly, Chud was more impacted by talent level than Randy, as you could see the massive dropoff after 2002 when Dre and Kenny left.

I think it's criminal that he hasn't gotten another real DC job, unless there is more to his involvement in Shapiro than was made public. I think having all that talent and not holding teams to historical lows probably hurt his stock. In the end, he's a very solid DC, nothing more nothing less.

His recruiting is criminal

His recruiting is criminal
Yet he is the recruiting coordinator for UF and they're not doing too bad. I have a strange feeling Shalala had her hand in a lot of the going ons in the football program than is actually known. We'll see going forward.

Advertisement
Back