Serious questions about Randy Shannon...

Advertisement
If you have to ask yourself why someone hasn't even been a DC again since he left here then you might have your answer.

By choice tho...

Yep. Just like Mario has stayed a positions corch. By choice.
He’s expected to boost the Gators’ recruiting reach, especially in South Florida and California, but also serve as sounding board and confidant for McElwain as a former head coach.

“He was a guy that was at the top of my list from a standpoint of the people and how they speak about his integrity, his discipline and his organization and ball-coaching ability,” McElwain said.

“The thing that gets lost, man, this guy is a great ball coach. … I feel it was an unbelievable hire to be able to get that done.”

Shannon was an assistant coach at Arkansas the past two seasons, but said he “didn’t want to get comfortable with [that] situation.”

He refuses to discuss his tenure as UM head coach, or the Nevin Shapiro scandal.

“I never look back,” said Shannon, who was fired in 2010 after going 28-22 at UM.

“If you keep looking back, you’ll forget about something, you’ll miss opportunities. … When you keep looking back in life, you’re going to miss out on a lot of opportunities. … Find a way to wash it and move forward.”

Shannon, 48, is excited about his new opportunity in Gainesville, and said he hasn’t caught too much flak from Hurricanes faithful.

He said he has turned down head-coaching offers in recent years but wants to be a head coach again someday.

Unlike his new Gators pullover, the timing and fit simply aren’t right.

“I look at my job at hand,” he said. “My job at hand is being apart of Florida’s staff and I’m excited about it.

“I’ve been offered defensive coordinator jobs, head-coaching jobs, but it wasn’t the right fit at that particular time. I’m not a guy that’s gonna rush into anything. Right now, my total focus is being at Florida and trying to get to a point where we can make Florida one of the teams in America that people are going to look at like they’ve done in the past and we can get it done.”

Read more here: New Gators assistant Randy Shannon won?t discuss UM tenure: ?I never look back? | Miami Herald

Randy may not be a good head coach. But i dont know if you can call him a liar or say he cant coach defense.

If you go 6 years bouncing around as a positions corch when you (supposedly) were offered DC and HC jobs then it'd actually be preferable to be called a liar than a moron. Ol Randy not gonna rush into anything, eh? Dude needs a decade to decide to make that big leap again, huh?

Unlike Golden Randy openly admitted his mistakes. He said that he was not ready to be a head coach. Instead of jumping right back into coaching Randy decided to learn how successful programs are built.

That is why he went to TCU, Arkansas, and now Florida to learn under their staffs. So it is good that he is trying to learn before he takes is next major gig.

I was a huge, huge fan of Randy when he was here as DC. I thought his system was better than Schiano's, was easier for the players, etc.

But when you go back and watch those games now, and look at the stats, I actually think after 2001 he underachieved a little given the unparalleled talent he had. It's unfathomable that teams could have moved the ball on us at all when you look at the rosters.

That was similar to my first question to my friend. Was he really a great DC, or did he benefit from the incredible amount of raw talent that was on the roster while he was DC? Was he the DC equivalent of Coker as HC?

What great DC did not have talent? I never understood this logic. I have never seen a good defense that did not have talent.

Defense was never really the problem when Randy was the DC here. In 2006, when Miami lost 6 games the defense was ranked #5 in total defense and #13 in scoring defense.

Spoke to someone recently and they said that Shannon is a "football genius". They said that Miami "set his career back a decade". He "needed seasoning under an experienced head-coach, and he would have then been ready." He was a "disaster at recruiting, was too rigid and possessed abysmal public speaking skills." "Three to four more years under someone of the caliber of Richt, and he would have become an excellent head coach." "Shalala loved his toughness, background, resilience, grit and work-habits, so she gave him the opportunity and he failed spectacularly; and it set him back a decade." "People would hear him speak in public and would assume 'moron', but the reality is that he is a genius in regard to football." "Whipple overwhelmed him also." "Whipple refused to work as a team and a huge division developed between the offense and the defense." "Shannon also could not relate to the high sense of entitlement of highly-rated recruits."

They think that Shannon will eventually become a great coach some day............

No way Randy gets hired as DC here.

You just don't hire guys to work under you that have already had your job.

Advertisement
We can do so much better than Shannon with the resources we have available.

Why settle?

We can do so much better than Shannon with the resources we have available.

Why settle?

I don't know if we could do better than him as a DC. If he wanted to come back as DC I take him for sure. He never had a weak defense that was gashed like Golden and D'Onfrio

I seem to remember NCSU, Louisville and a few other teams running roughshod over us in 2004. LSU skullcorched us in 2005, so did VT in 2003.

I think he would be a great choice for DC. If he would be so humble to come back to a program that fired him.. that would be all the indication I would need to know where his loyalty lies and he wouldn't be a Alpha clash with Richt. Dude is extremely football smart and he has ran this program on his on once before. I think he took over before he was ready and the results were not favorable. He is not very good at recruiting for a couple of reasons...1 he doesn't like all the hype and attention this new generations of recruits require... cause he came up during a different era... when you actually had to earn the fanfare. and 2 he lacks in verbal communication skills... He don't like talking to parents, administrators or boosters because of those skills or lack thereof... but he communicate well with the kids....He is tough on the kids...those he don't like the dancing and carrying on... Randy would stop that. Coach Richt won't because coming from him would seem LIKE it is racially motivated and coming from Randy it WILL be racially motivated if you know what I mean. But under Richt I think he would thrive and learn the inter-dealings of coaching that we don't ever see. My fear if Richt hire some big name DC that walks on water and ****e don't stank... then it will be the "Clash of The Alpha" like he had back in UGA with Pruitt. I want someone that is good at their art, who is willing to learn from Richt... due Richt's biding on the D side of the ball... I think Randy would be a great choice...

Advertisement
I seem to remember NCSU, Louisville and a few other teams running roughshod over us in 2004. LSU skullcorched us in 2005, so did VT in 2003.

No defense is so dominant you're going to dominate every team you play. come on bro. youre smarter than that.

Spoke to someone recently and they said that Shannon is a "football genius". They said that Miami "set his career back a decade". He "needed seasoning under an experienced head-coach, and he would have then been ready." He was a "disaster at recruiting, was too rigid and possessed abysmal public speaking skills." "Three to four more years under someone of the caliber of Richt, and he would have become an excellent head coach." "Shalala loved his toughness, background, resilience, grit and work-habits, so she gave him the opportunity and he failed spectacularly; and it set him back a decade." "People would hear him speak in public and would assume 'moron', but the reality is that he is a genius in regard to football." "Whipple overwhelmed him also." "Whipple refused to work as a team and a huge division developed between the offense and the defense." "Shannon also could not relate to the high sense of entitlement of highly-rated recruits."

They think that Shannon will eventually become a great coach some day............

Sounds like a guy with all the qualities of an excellent assistant coach.

He's been a LBs coach since he got fired here, he is a DC in title only at UF.

Nope. McElwain specifically targeted him to serve as somewhat of a mentor to Collins who is still relatively inexperienced. We kept the same terminology from Muschamp's defense to keep the players from having to learn a new system but the philosophy of the defense is completely different and Randy had a big hand in that. And our linebacking unit has been the best unit on this year's defense despite a ton of injuries and zero depth. We entered the year with 4 scholarship linebackers.

this is very interesting, if true. thanks

No defense is so dominant you're going to dominate every team you play. come on bro. youre smarter than that.

The 2004 D was exceptionally ******, and every one of Shannon's D's was vulnerable to the running quarterback during that time. We made Krenzel look like Tecmo Okoye in the Fiesta in 2003...the 2004 season we let ourselves get run over like crazy on multiple occasions.

Advertisement
They definitely don't run Randy's old defense there. Whether that means he isn't calling plays I don't know. But it's not Randy's base scheme at all.

Are you Randy's agent by any chance?

Advertisement

I don't need to speak to someone to know he was anything but a football genius. I watched his teams, which had more NFL talent on defense than any series of teams in college history, consistently rely on great players bailing him out of otherwise nonexistent game plans and horrible adjustments.

Let me put it this way: Miami had ONE MONTH to prepare for Ohio State. OSU was a 1 dimensional team. They had mediocre talent everywhere, a below average, unathletic QB, and a tough running back.

And OSU proceeded to run for 145 yards on us. Not just Clarrett, who they couldn't stop a single time when it was a critical play. But the goddam QB ran wild on us. Krenzel ran for 81 goddam yards and 2 TDs in a game against Vince Wilfork, Jon Vilma, DJ Williams, Sean Taylor, Antrel Rolle, Kelly Jennings, William Joseph, Rocky McIntosh, and Jerome McDougle. It was a horrendous game plan to play Cover 2 man all game against a non-passing team. A complete joke.

I don't need to speak to someone to know he was anything but a football genius. I watched his teams, which had more NFL talent on defense than any series of teams in college history, consistently rely on great players bailing him out of otherwise nonexistent game plans and horrible adjustments.

Let me put it this way: Miami had ONE MONTH to prepare for Ohio State. OSU was a 1 dimensional team. They had mediocre talent everywhere, a below average, unathletic QB, and a tough running back.

And OSU proceeded to run for 145 yards on us. Not just Clarrett, who they couldn't stop a single time when it was a critical play. But the goddam QB ran wild on us. Krenzel ran for 81 goddam yards and 2 TDs in a game against Vince Wilfork, Jon Vilma, DJ Williams, Sean Taylor, Antrel Rolle, Kelly Jennings, William Joseph, Rocky McIntosh, and Jerome McDougle. It was a horrendous game plan to play Cover 2 man all game against a non-passing team. A complete joke.
^+1

This guy gets it. And lest we forget the Peach Bowl debacle or the fact that Patrick Nix lit up Randy's defense.

Advertisement
Back