Serious Question about south florida mentality

Those guys didn’t underperform here, they don’t have the spotlight the Bama guys get. Same thing in the early 2000s for us, there were dudes not worth the high draft picks they were getting but they got picked because they were Canes. The NFL is not immune to overvaluing dudes based on the program they’re from. It’s no different than every Belichek guy getting promoted because their Belichek guys, forgetting the fact they won’t have Brady at their new team.

That’s part of it, too. Which is another reason why local kids go to more successful schools. It’s usually a smart play.

Advertisement
That’s part of it, too. Which is another reason why local kids go to more successful schools. It’s usually a smart play.

Agreed, if you want the NFL your best shot at maximizing your value is to go to Bama, or somewhere in the sec.

A whole different conversation can be had about how smart of a goal that is, even in the Sec your chances of making it are slim, and without the right networking or financial support even a few million over 2-3 years of the avg career aren’t going to last you the next 60 years. But I digress

UF hasn't been relevant since 2009. Since then, they've lost to an FCS school at home and have 2 4-win seasons. You could make the excuse for FSU, but not really for UF.

That's the point. I grew up thinking UM was the **** solely from growing up on the 2000-2002 Canes. Even then, a family member brought me an FSU shirt (which I actually have a video of me burning it on facebook) , and another family member give me a #1 UF jersey (Percy Harvin). UM made the biggest impression on me so that is who I clinged to. UF owned the state from 2006-2009. Kids that grew up watching those days don't forget it, just like I haven't forgotten the Canes of my younger days. FSU/Miami were both average during this time.

The sad thing is that a lot of those players actually are that good-- better than the Bama players-- but don't get drafted that way because they underperform here.

Look at Calais Campbell, Olivier Vernon and Allen Bailey (6 sacks this season). None of them were first rounders or dominant college players. But would you trade them for any three Alabama DL in the pros?

Nobody wants to be underdrafted. Too many guys leave Miami as bargains.
I could have worded that better but totally agreed. Bama's DL has been their strength for years but they don't have much to show for in the league.The bolded irks me the most.

On another note...I apparently the hamburger drill got banned...may be why some kids are soft now

Advertisement
This is the same board that says "Why wouldn't a kid want to come here and play in this defense (under Diaz)?!"

But then Diaz leaves and we're wondering why some of our commits are jumping ship. LOL

The difference between our program and the ones that the OP mentioned is that most of those programs are winning. If we were highly ranked, instead of a 7-5 dumpster fire, then I guarantee that these kids would stay committed. They would have faith that Mark Richt would hire another solid DC. However, as of right now, the only noteworthy coach we have on the entire staff just left. The only side of the ball that's not completely embarrassing is currently up in the air.

Last edited:
What has made these kids so weak mentally nowadays down there? Gotta be the most athletic but weakest minded group of kids in the country. These kids act like coordinators dont leave all the time at other schools or even head coaches. Obviously we gotta win for that to change but even then we are still gonna lose a lot of these snowflakes. Kids in other parts of the country actually care about where they are from but not the new era of south florida flakes.
Don’t get butthurt over ppl/kids wanting to put their futures in the right hands. One thing about most successful south fla athletes is they are the furthest thing from mentally weak.

I'm not disagreeing with you. But FSU for the most part has kept their class together. This is coming off a 5-7 year where in the first time in 40 years is going to miss a bowl game. Taggart has zero track record of success suggesting he's going to turn it all around.

UF had its 2nd 4-win season (last year) in the last 5 years. And last year, they held onto most of their class. We're in agreement that the status quo at Miami is unacceptable. But why is it that Miami is held to this standard that the other other 2/3 of the big 3 isn't?

They have a better coaching staff overall. iTS QUITE SIMPLE WE HAVE A LEARNING ON THE JOB - VOC REHAB STAFF AND THIS IS WHAT YOU GET.

FSU DL COACH WAS AT FSU WHEN Bobby Bowden was running sprints.
Be honest with yourself we have NO ONE from within that you can literally upgrade to a coordinator spot if our 2 coordinators left on both sides of the ball. ON DEFENSE Diaz just left ..there is NO ONE from within that can be a dc...on Offense we have 3 oc's that dont equal up to 1

Advertisement
So basically everything that made us fans of this school (loyalty, family, brotherhood) just simply doesn't exist anymore.

So, I'll ask.

Why exactly are we fans? Honest question.
Good question. I dont care as much as I used to. I don't know how these coaches do it, having to fawn over these recruits and their families for years and then a week away from signing they do the whole i want to thank God, and respect my decision crap. It's just very creepy and fake

I think it's all about the $. More often than not these elite S. FL kids see their parents struggle to make the grind every day and then some Car salesman (college coach) sells them on the opportunity to play at a big time school and get their parents some money and it's a dream come true. Until The payments are stopped by the Feds this will not change and only get worse. But if the basketball investigation leaks over into football and the colleges have to stop paying lookout. Miami would be the king in S. FL kids minds. JMOP

If Miami wanted to win, we would win. It’s really that simple - this is a management problem from the top down.

The BOT are not stupid...these are very successful men. They know what it takes to be a winner.

If a manager at Royal Caribbean were hired at $4 million per year, and he decided to hire his unqualified 28 year old son to run the most inportant position in his division, what do you think would happen....especially after a poor year?

The BOT aren’t stupid. They know what it takes to create a winning product. The thing is, they’ve made a conscious choice.

Sometime in the late 90’s, the powers that be at UM decided it was more important to run a clean program than a winning program.

And that’s that.

They’re happy, so long as they can dupe enough of you in to spending money on their garbage product to keep the program in the black, they’re good.

It’s all about running a profit, and it’s all about maintaining a clean-cut appearance. Winning doesn’t factor in to their thinking....and that’s the biggest cause of our problems.

How much of Blake James’s salary is tied to winning?

The AD should have full power to hire and fire coaches, and his pay structure should be directly tied to the number of football games we win each year and nothing else.

If we win only 7 games in a season, Blake James’s kids should be going hungry. If we win 12, he should be eating lobster every night.

But we don’t incentivize winning.

Advertisement
It has nothing to do with “mental toughness.” These kids are competitors who play early at every school.

South Florida players have a professional mindset. Some of them got paid in Pop Warner. Pros don’t have loyalty.

We don’t pay and we suck on the field. That’s why we miss on kids. It’s simple.
Why don't we pay?! This is the City of Miami...you telling me we can't find rich yuppies to bleed orange and green in Miami?!? Lets just milk the Soffer family for now then

I don' t know if this is a matter of South Florida kids and the way they have been raised eccetera eccetera but I'm so ******* sure that this recruiting strategy is not working and "Decommit U" is starting to receive too much buzz nationally (bad, very bad look).

To explain myself better (from another post of mine):

"We should start to over recruiting instead ******* stop recruiting certain position because kids are supposed to be loyal.

They ain't loyal.

Always recruit: if a better player wants in in the last minute of signing day, drop the other. No mercy.

If you visit elsewhere while committed, your spot in the class is up for grabs.
If you visit elsewhere while committed two weeks away from signing day, you're out. Make sure they have a spot for you because we ain't got one anymore.

You need 4 LBs? You recruit 8 LBs
You need 1 QB? You recruit 3 QBs
And so on

I know, Richt ain't Saban but IMHO he better start acting like he is and make kids believe he is.

No more pastor bull****."

Also to be noted: last year (when we were actually winning games) we had a good class. So, I mean, ******* win the games!

Porca puttana, I'm so ****ed, *****!

Miami is going to have to win with 3* talent and superior player development. That will bring the team back. Coupled with some 4* guys here and there. The top end guys we have to fight for in our own back yard but should not be surprised to see them leave for Bama, Ga, OSU etc.
This was the pattern through much of the '80's. Only problem is, 3-stars of that era we're often unnoticed and underrated. I don't know if 3-stars fly under the radar as much these days since there is so much more radar out there. The few people who wrote on recruiting in the '80's (count them on one hand) knew very little about South Florida.

Advertisement
If Miami wanted to win, we would win. It’s really that simple - this is a management problem from the top down.

The BOT are not stupid...these are very successful men. They know what it takes to be a winner.

If a manager at Royal Caribbean were hired at $4 million per year, and he decided to hire his unqualified 28 year old son to run the most inportant position in his division, what do you think would happen....especially after a poor year?

The BOT aren’t stupid. They know what it takes to create a winning product. The thing is, they’ve made a conscious choice.

Sometime in the late 90’s, the powers that be at UM decided it was more important to run a clean program than a winning program.

And that’s that.

They’re happy, so long as they can dupe enough of you in to spending money on their garbage product to keep the program in the black, they’re good.

It’s all about running a profit, and it’s all about maintaining a clean-cut appearance. Winning doesn’t factor in to their thinking....and that’s the biggest cause of our problems.
I’ve felt this way all along this program doesn’t wanna win because they make dumb *** decisions regarding FOOTBALL they care more about the image of the school academics are valued more that athletics we shouldn’t go through what we’re going through now it’s mind boggling

Advertisement
Back