Serious Question about south florida mentality

I was about to say prior to this year Bama's offense was not impressive. Had terrible QB play but they got Ruggs, Jeudy, and Smith in 1 year. There is more than location and we put a WR in the first round that year. Miami just doesn't have "IT" anymore with local kids.

Bama's best selling point for SF receivers was Amari Cooper. He put up huge numbers and got drafted in the first round. This gave them the ability to sell Calvin Ridley on being the next Amari Cooper. Then, they sold Jerry Jeudy on being the next Calvin Ridley and Amari Cooper.

You are seeing a similar thing with Jadon Haselwood. Richt has sold him on being the next AJ Green, even as the offense struggles.

Advertisement
Our program is weak minded. teens are teens.

Look at the top programs now. 85 deep and #85 will eventually be in top 22. Kids are coached. The toughness is demanded and the rewards are great. I remember another program that was like this A LONG time of go. It was THE UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI.

Seems one issue kids from SW fl.consider it an honor to get away to
Bama,Michigan or OSU.Try that in Bama,you probably told to move
out of the state.We tried to establish"The State of the U",a line running
from Tampa to Vero.We simply do not have any answers,we may have
the HS players but So.Fla does not keep the recruits.
However we may not get the recruits because we have alot of
RS's,Soph and Juniors ahead of them,and recruits come to start.

Big facts! I said this awhile ago. Kids who live in bama georgia texas etc etc. Their parents are ride or die no matter what state their programs are in. Kids come up having strong loyalty to their home team.Its not the same in SFL. Its a front runner place.

This...and this isnt some new trend at all. Alot of people like to believe all those guys in 80's came here because they just loved The U, the brotherhood etc.and thats not the case. They learned to love The U while here but they came here because we had coaches who could win big and turn them into NFL players all at the same time. When we get that again will dominate south Florida recruiting again.

D$ summed it up yet some of ya'll are still confused. Money is involved in some cases but there are countless opportunities in CFB.

1. We dont win enough. Very simple concept that a lot of our fans turn into "all of these kids want to be frontrunners" once they choose an opposing school that's a top 10 team. Funny but sad.

2. As much as we think our players are good and are considered "1st round picks", they're not as good as we think AND other schools have 5-10 players of that caliber compared to our one or two. I can only name maybe 3 players that I could sell to a recruit since Richt was hired three years ago.
That's troubling for a school that was prided on developing players.

3. When you think about it, recruiting at Miami should be very easy--put an exciting product on the field since you can't keep up with the bag$,hire great offensive minds, create schemes that aren't too difficult, get a guy on both offense and defense known for or that can develop players, etc. Which one has Richt done?

Advertisement
LOL we dont pay.....GTFOH with that....every school pays. I dont see all the kids jumping ship from Alabama, UGA, FL FSU etc...

Was talking to a kid who walked on at Georgia Southern a few years ago and he was pretty open in telling me how much their players (especially starting QB) were making weekly after I got into a discussion about the big programs throwing bags. Told me he would take all these guys money on Madden and it was no secret how much they were being paid. Georgia Southern.

Cant imagine UM or any other school isn't paying players to an extent. I'm sure some schools just have ridiculous money, though.

I'm not disagreeing with you. But FSU for the most part has kept their class together. This is coming off a 5-7 year where in the first time in 40 years is going to miss a bowl game. Taggart has zero track record of success suggesting he's going to turn it all around.

UF had its 2nd 4-win season (last year) in the last 5 years. And last year, they held onto most of their class. We're in agreement that the status quo at Miami is unacceptable. But why is it that Miami is held to this standard that the other other 2/3 of the big 3 isn't?

Because FSU has a first year coach. So players understand it is going to be a rocky start. UF just got a new HC and Mullet is looked at as a very good coach who just never had talent around him. Taggart sucks we all know that, but he is still able to bank on his ability to turn teams around. We all know he isn't going to turn them around, but some kids are going to buy into that.

Richt is done. Everyone knows he sucks at coaching. Kirby went to the NC with Richts guys in year 2 something RIcht couldn't do in 15 years. All of the kids now know what type of corch Richt is and are staying far away.

It has nothing to do with “mental toughness.” These kids are competitors who play early at every school.

South Florida players have a professional mindset. Some of them got paid in Pop Warner. Pros don’t have loyalty.

We don’t pay anywhere near the standard and we suck on the field. That’s why we miss on kids. It’s simple.

It really isn't much more difficult to understand than this.

These kids have one mission...get to the NFL. They are taught that as early as age 5. And many here don't understand the pressure these kids have on them to drag an entire family out of the gutter with their athletic ability.

Where they go to college is very important. It could mean a nice short term paycheck that pays the bills at home. It could mean jobs for friends and family in the short term. Long term, potential life changing money.

The loyalty is to the game and right now, Miami offers them nothing substantial. The team stinks. You've got several players going down with injuries and their careers have been cut short. Even if Miami did pay...they couldn't compete with the money being thrown around elsewhere.

While it sucks to lose so many kids...it is what it is. Maybe if we win with any kind of regularity, this won't be a problem. It wasn't a problem coming off 10-3, to be fair. We had a solid class. Now we are 7-5 and lost our top assistant. Of course kids are bouncing.

2. As much as we think our players are good and are considered "1st round picks", they're not as good as we think AND other schools have 5-10 players of that caliber compared to our one or two. I can only name maybe 3 players that I could sell to a recruit since Richt was hired three years ago.
That's troubling for a school that was prided on developing players.

The sad thing is that a lot of those players actually are that good-- better than the Bama players-- but don't get drafted that way because they underperform here.

Look at Calais Campbell, Olivier Vernon and Allen Bailey (6 sacks this season). None of them were first rounders or dominant college players. But would you trade them for any three Alabama DL in the pros?

Nobody wants to be underdrafted. Too many guys leave Miami as bargains.

Advertisement
Bama's best selling point for SF receivers was Amari Cooper. He put up huge numbers and got drafted in the first round. This gave them the ability to sell Calvin Ridley on being the next Amari Cooper. Then, they sold Jerry Jeudy on being the next Calvin Ridley and Amari Cooper.

You are seeing a similar thing with Jadon Haselwood. Richt has sold him on being the next AJ Green, even as the offense struggles.
Right but before last season Alabama had 1 WR that received most targets while the others blocked and got minimal work, for them to bring in the top 3 WR in 1 class was insane even for them.

Because FSU has a first year coach. So players understand it is going to be a rocky start. UF just got a new HC and Mullet is looked at as a very good coach who just never had talent around him. Taggart sucks we all know that, but he is still able to bank on his ability to turn teams around. We all know he isn't going to turn them around, but some kids are going to buy into that.

Richt is done. Everyone knows he sucks at coaching. Kirby went to the NC with Richts guys in year 2 something RIcht couldn't do in 15 years. All of the kids now know what type of corch Richt is and are staying far away.

Please read again.

UF last season when McElwain was fired and was a complete dumpster fire, didn't experience the recruiting issues that we're currently having.

I'm fully aware that Taggart's in his first year, but Jimbo left Taggart a pretty stacked roster. Jimbo took over for Bowden who was basically retired his last couple of seasons and he turned around that culture year 1. Meanwhile, Taggart ends FSU's longest running bowl streak.

This high school generation was born in 1999-2002. The last year where we looked like a force was in 2004. Most of these kids didn't understand what they were watching on TV until they were at least 4-5...which is 2005. So their first fascination with football started when UF dominated. I was born in 94 so I was 5 when i really started knowing what was going on in football....watched the 99, 01, 02 season and rarely saw us lose. Hard not to be a fan with how fun the Canes looked doing it too.

These kids grew into football watching Tim Tebow and Percy Harving dominate their young minds. They went to middle school and constantly argue'd about who owned the state between UF and FSU...and FSU won that argument by winning the Natty while these gullible minds are in 4th-7th grade. Fast forward to high school...none of them can think back to a time where they watched a UM squad that they were surprised to see lose.

Using myself as another example, for how delicate the mind can be...from the time I was born, until 1999, I bobble head watched FSU beat Miami 4 times in a row but by the time 2002 rolled around, I would swear to you that Miami seemingly hadn't lost to FSU since I was born (Miami actually beat FSU 2 days before I was born, which is probably what sealed my fate).

UF hasn't been relevant since 2009. Since then, they've lost to an FCS school at home and have 2 4-win seasons. You could make the excuse for FSU, but not really for UF.

Advertisement
It has nothing to do with “mental toughness.” These kids are competitors who play early at every school.

South Florida players have a professional mindset. Some of them got paid in Pop Warner. Pros don’t have loyalty.

We don’t pay and we suck on the field. That’s why we miss on kids. It’s simple.

One of the reasons I think we'll never hit that 80's era again. Back then it was about putting on for the city and Miami's success meaning success for the Community...

Please read again.

UF last season when McElwain was fired and was a complete dumpster fire, didn't experience the recruiting issues that we're currently having.

I'm fully aware that Taggart's in his first year, but Jimbo left Taggart a pretty stacked roster. Jimbo took over for Bowden who was basically retired his last couple of seasons and he turned around that culture year 1. Meanwhile, Taggart ends FSU's longest running bowl streak.

UF and FSU both have more loyal recruiting bases than we do. The people have a completely different mentality up there.

It definitely starts at the youth level...where rents are being paid,cell phone Bill's are met and school clothes are bought.... **** in some of our league's players change teams mid season sometimes in the playoffs fir the right price smdh

Advertisement
Please read again.

Nah I got that lol. Last season Mullet was the new HC and used that to his advantage. He basically told kids " look at the O I ran here when Meyer was here. Look how good I did at Miss St. with a bunch of 3 stars. We can build something at UF". Kids buy into it because he is stating facts. Now that he actually was successful his first year he is again killing it on the trail. If Macelwain stayed another year they would have surely felt the recruiting issues.

Of course Taggart was left with the most stacked roster he will ever have(but his OL probably will get better), but he is still able to fall back on the "they are not my guys excuse, they aren't able to run my system". As you see it is working. He also can point to WKU and USF where he had a REALLY poor start and ended up turning the programs around big time. Like I said WE know he is going to suck, but he still has some ammo to con recruits into coming to FSU.

Richt ran out of all ammunition after this year.

-His QB whisperer shtick was exposed massively the last 2 years. No one believes that myth anymore.

-Him being a good OC was also proven to be a myth these last 2 years.

-He used to be able to say look I averaged 3 losses a year at UGA, but now people realize that is not impressive. He was Saban and UFs punching bag and Kirby is running a train on UF and playing it extremely close with Saban. It was shown UGA has every advantage available to be a powerhouse team, but Richt still found ways to lose every single year.

-Richt is the new meme coach. Between the losing control of locker room meme and the losing big game meme he is the joke of the NCAA. I know guys that don't even watch college football that know about him because of the memes. "isn't that the guy that always loses the big games to less talented teams". "isn't that the guy that loses control of his locker room every year" "isn't that the guy that suspends players at the drop of a hat"

-His only saving grace was Diaz who is now gone.

-players no longer believe his BS. They know by signing with him they are looking at having a mediocre season every single season.

We are underachieving with the players we already have. That's the first problem, and it's been that way too long.
This I agree with. We had 10 guys to start the season that were draftable and won 7 games when we were better then everybody on our schedule IMO by far except LSU

One of the reasons I think we'll never hit that 80's era again. Back then it was about putting on for the city and Miami's success meaning success for the Community...

I bet even some of those guys back then will tell you they came to Miami for more or different reasons than just "rep the home team". I remember when Hester and Frank Gore got inducted into the UM sports HOF and both spoke about why they came to UM.

It wasn't "make the crib great" that they said.
Hester said he wanted to go to school close to his brother, who was either at UM or one of the other local schools , I can't remember.
Gore said he was set to go to Ole Miss but his mother took sick and he wanted to stay home to be close to her.

Those local kids didn't just come in the early 80s because Schnellenberger sold them on civic pride. Many of the early 80s Canes were probably kids when Howard was the offensive coordinator for the 72 Dolphins, or when he was head coach of the Colts, or when he returned to the Dolphins as OC before taking the UM job. Would the civic pride angle have worked for those early 80s canes if Schnellenbger wasn't already a notable person in South Florida and in the NFL?

Civic pride is great. But we're having selective memory if we think that kept a bunch of guys home in the past. It was one of many factors. Winning was another. We're 7-5 and just lost our coordinator on the one side of the ball that did anything this year so we don't have that going for us. And these kids grew up watching UF, then FSU, and now Bama dominate so outside of 30for30s we don't have youthful nostalgia going for us.

My general point is, we're gonna need more than "civic pride" and "the weather" to sell local recruits to sign at Miami now, because we need more than those things back then too. Nostalgia can sometimes cloud the vision a little bit and makes us think we didn't.

The sad thing is that a lot of those players actually are that good-- better than the Bama players-- but don't get drafted that way because they underperform here.

Look at Calais Campbell, Olivier Vernon and Allen Bailey (6 sacks this season). None of them were first rounders or dominant college players. But would you trade them for any three Alabama DL in the pros?

Nobody wants to be underdrafted. Too many guys leave Miami as bargains.

Those guys didn’t underperform here, they don’t have the spotlight the Bama guys get. Same thing in the early 2000s for us, there were dudes not worth the high draft picks they were getting but they got picked because they were Canes. The NFL is not immune to overvaluing dudes based on the program they’re from. It’s no different than every Belichek guy getting promoted because their Belichek guys, forgetting the fact they won’t have Brady at their new team.

Advertisement
Back