SEC thinking of having their own playoff

Honestly I expected this.... The SEC is priming itself for what's to come in CFB... With the coming collapse ( already happening) of the NCAA coupled with the new economic landscape the SEC's desire to be a super conference will surely come about... Adding Tex and OK is only the start.... They'll make a play at more teams in the coming years...
This is just the beginning ....
A lot of folks seem to be in denial, tho

Advertisement
If the $EC or B1G invites us, I **** sure hope we on the first train smokin to sign that paperwork

Nothing good gonna come from being left behind in an even more watered down ACC — starting with the $40M per year less we'll make on media rights and the difficulty filling out a quality schedule.

I would wager a guess that it would be more likely for the Big 10 to make us an offer. The Big 10 has loooooong had major cable carriage incentives for adding new states, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind adding the third LARGEST state (by population, in case that one nutty porster still thinks I'm talking about square mileage) as a new TV market.

The SEC has been very defensive about adding "a second school" to states where they already have a presence. Yes, Texas "broke" that rule, but Texas is the second largest state (by population, of course). If the Big 10 offered Miami, you might see the SEC offer F$U (assuming they don't try to get UNC and VaTech).

I would wager a guess that it would be more likely for the Big 10 to make us an offer. The Big 10 has loooooong had major cable carriage incentives for adding new states, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind adding the third LARGEST state (by population, in case that one nutty porster still thinks I'm talking about square mileage) as a new TV market.

The SEC has been very defensive about adding "a second school" to states where they already have a presence. Yes, Texas "broke" that rule, but Texas is the second largest state (by population, of course). If the Big 10 offered Miami, you might see the SEC offer F$U (assuming they don't try to get UNC and VaTech).

Good post.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if the groundwork has already been laid for Clemson and Free Shoes to join. As "academic institutions" and, more importantly, fan bases go, those two fit the $EC like a glove.

I think we're probably a longshot to get in the SEC unless it turns into some kind of ESPN (SEC)/FOX (B1G) tug-of-war for the most marketable brands.

UF and FSU would collectively cry til the cows came home about adding a third school from Florida — not to mention one sitting on arguably the best recruiting area in the nation, a place where SEC schools have made a living over the years.

The B1G with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and almost certainly Notre Dame plus Miami would be EPIC.

Would take that offer right now and tell the SEC to eat ****

The conference's grant of rights makes it financially untenable for a school to leave, guaranteeing in the 20 years of the deal that a school's media rights, including revenue, for all home games would remain with the ACC regardless of the school's affiliation.

CiS general counsel feel free to chime in. This could be a major hurdle for anyone trying to leave the ACC in the foreseeable future.

Advertisement
All that says to me is that the $ec is really worried about actual parity in football. When those top two teams that carry the conference start losing, the bottom feeders like the gaytor won't be able to chant $ec $ec $ec to prop themselves up anymore.

$ec can't lose the playoffs anymore if nobody else can play in them.

View attachment 186908
Amen, Nick Sabans whining this week ws indicative of this as well. when SEC was going under the table things were going very well fro SEC, now that its above board and NCAA is a thing of the past , they know the gigs up
seeking help from the Fed Govt, is another sign of coming issues for SEC as well.....

Update: SEC has created a Youtube on their make-up routine "since everyone was asking them about it"

I didn’t read throughout the entire thread so excuse me if I’m being redundant:

This is a jockeying ploy made by Sankey & The SEC members.

It was Sankey’s idea to expand the CFP, & when it was shot down, I heard from several outlets bruh was uppppppset. This is putting the other conferences on notice that if we don’t expand the playoffs when the contract ends under its current format, we’ll just go rogue.

Imo, this doesn’t happen for 3 reasons:

1. Going this route would mean the SEC would have to give up its precious title game

2. This would take us back to the beginning of CFB where multiple teams would claim Nat’l titles which is not a good look (unless u’re UCF)

3. There’s more fans that watch CFB residing outside of the SEC; if the SEC isolate itself by doing its own thing, well that’ll segment a large population of fans of other programs who happen to tune in b/c every game plays a factor into the outcome of the season. Less viewership = less $$, and I’m sure ESPN is not in the business of losing outside eyes b/c The SEC system have chit to do w/ the outcome of their teams.

Imho, this is a ploy to get the CFP to commit to expanding, b/c in the SEC’s mind, they’ve had 3-4 teams each yr that should qualify (no b.s, actually heard that). I do agree the CFP should expand from 4 to 8, I’ve said this for a min, & I think CFP expansions happens next go round.

Last edited:
Advertisement
they’ve had 3-4 teams each yr that should qualify

2019 is literally the only year you could make an argument that the expanded playoff was needed for them.

They're coming off a 2021 where they're one Alabama away from being the ACC. Again, once Saban leaves the conference it's going to come back down to Earth real fast.

CiS general counsel feel free to chime in. This could be a major hurdle for anyone trying to leave the ACC in the foreseeable future.

It's one of those crazy things...I think the Big 12 has something similar (remember the game they pulled after Nebraska and Mizzou left) and yet...Texas and OU are leaving...

Words are words. They are negotiable. Texas and OU paid a penalty and they are leaving, regardless of the grant of rights.

Also, you are COMPLETELY off the hook if the entire conference implodes. So if more than half of the ACC left for the SEC or Big 10...no problem-o...

2019 is literally the only year you could make an argument that the expanded playoff was needed for them.

They're coming off a 2021 where they're one Alabama away from being the ACC. Again, once Saban leaves the conference it's going to come back down to Earth real fast.

Welllll...yes and no...

The SEC is trying to make itself "too big to fail". Taking Texas and OU not only gives them a bigger footprint with more TV markets, it gives them 2 more teams that "might" could be good after Saban leaves Alabama.

I don't know who will step up in the SEC, but they've got some teams with potential. Even Tennessee, who I HATE. LSU could return to form. UGa hasn't disappeared. OU has been very good very recently. Texas is a sleeping giant.

Advertisement
Right now, no one outside of Ohio State would beat them on a regular basis, even under those conditions. Penn State in a very good year, Michigan/Mich St/Wisconsin/ND in a great year for them. That's really it. But it'd be nice to see them have to work for something.
Yep with the current talent gap that’s a solid and appropriate assessment. Though I can tell you Fisch that the cold can do funny things to a team who has never dealt with It because even the Purdue’s of the world could give You a unpleasant shock. They might not beat you, but they could embarass you.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yep with the current talent gap that’s a solid and appropriate assessment. Though I can tell you Fisch that the cold can do funny things to a team who has never dealt with It because even the Purdue’s of the world could give You a unpleasant shock. They might not beat you, but they could eme arras’s you.
You don't have to tell me. I hate the cold.

I'd call their bluff. And immediately band together with every other D1 program to completely stop scheduling them. They want to be out of the CFP? Cool. They can be out of CFB. Freeze them out. Let them become a regional conference that can't get a game outside of the cracker belt. Let them play a 12 game SEC schedule. The same schedules over, and over and over until everyone is numb. Watch what happens to their national ratings eventually. While the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12 and ND all band together to make CFB as exciting as possible with more incredible cross-conference national matchups.

It would be the biggest mistake they ever made.

The SEC is too delusional and has been too propped up by the NCAA, the networks and the national media to understand it but the obvious fallacy in this thinking is clearly on display in another sport- motorsports.

Look at F1 vs NASCAR. When given the opportunity and a viable alternative, "southern" culture doesn't win the battle. And that battle is now forever changed with NIL.

Soooo good luck going regional with your efforts and a faux championship when Miami, USC and all the Big Ten schools and all those media markets SHOULD have teams every bit as good as yours.

Why exactly would anyone in the northeast, California, Chicago, etc give a **** about Bama vs Georgia and all that twang heavy football "culture" then when their local schools or the ones they attended are every bit as relevant and haven't idiotically self-segregated themselves in Dixie?

All that said, I think this is all meaningless bluster by Sankey.

Last edited:
Honestly I expected this.... The SEC is priming itself for what's to come in CFB... With the coming collapse ( already happening) of the NCAA coupled with the new economic landscape the SEC's desire to be a super conference will surely come about... Adding Tex and OK is only the start.... They'll make a play at more teams in the coming years...
This is just the beginning ....
I agree. The big 12 is already pretty much no longer a P5 conference. The pac-12 is pretty much 3 teams away from being an G5 conference. Same with the ACC. If the SEC and B1g can grab those 6 teams and maybe a few other "lucky teams" no one, besides the fans of those schools will miss them.

Advertisement
Back