SEC thinking of having their own playoff

Advertisement
Texas A&M couldn’t stop Texas from joining. Once we get a stadium and start making the playoffs on the regular the rest of the SEC will force their hand, just like A&M was forced.

Yes, but consider this. aTm was NOT consulted on Texas/OU, and people DO forget that aTm is "the new kid on the block" in the SEC (which is part of what made it "okay" for Saban to criticize aTm).

However, the SEC is not going to go against charter member Florida by inviting Miami and/or F$U behind UiF's back. Last time around, the Gaytors enlisted the help of UGa, South Carolina, and Kentucky to (collectively) blackball UM/F$U, GaTech, Clemson, and Louisville from getting SEC bids.

Never underestimate the scumbaggery of the Gaytors...

Yes, but consider this. aTm was NOT consulted on Texas/OU, and people DO forget that aTm is "the new kid on the block" in the SEC (which is part of what made it "okay" for Saban to criticize aTm).

However, the SEC is not going to go against charter member Florida by inviting Miami and/or F$U behind UiF's back. Last time around, the Gaytors enlisted the help of UGa, South Carolina, and Kentucky to (collectively) blackball UM/F$U, GaTech, Clemson, and Louisville from getting SEC bids.

Never underestimate the scumbaggery of the Gaytors...

I believe money talks and if adding UM will lead to a bigger TV contract and more money/exposure for the SEC, then that money speaks louder than any Gator tears

I don’t think charter member matters in this day and age. Honor and loyalty isn’t a thing anymore, it’s about what do you bring to the table ($$$) and what can you do for ME, right here right now

That would be awesome if they did that. Let them fight it out in their own conference and separate them from the rest of the CFB world. If I'm a team in any of the other P5 divisions and they do this, I'm saying no thank you when they approach to get you on the schedule. Let them keep playing the same few teams and then the rest of P5 can carry on fighting for the actual national title.

I'm for that if the SEC does not schedule out of conference opponents. If they want to be separate from the rest of FCS, then they do not play FCS. I'd also be in favor of getting a binding contractual commitment by all FCS schools currently in conferences that while they can move to other conferences, they cannot move to the SEC (in case the SEC tries to balloon their league up to an NFL sized 32).

It will hurt their recruiting. SEC playing against itself lessens any perception of its dominance over the rest of college football. In the past, players went to Alabama in part because they won so many NCs. After a few years, what makes a "SEC Championship" better than an ACC championship or a PAC-12 championship? If anything, the PAC-12 and ACC teams that emerge to prominence will look better because they are playing against a wider footprint.

If SEC wants to play in its own microverse and become a hermit kingdom, that's fine. But it won't hurt Miami. It only helps.

SEC will already have Texas and Oklahoma.
Safe to assume they'll add FSU and Clemson.

Big Ten will talk ND in if the SEC does this.

AAU schools: UVA, Pitt, Cal, Duke, Stanford, GT, UNC, USC, Oregon, Colorado, Utah, and Kansas

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back