SEC thinking of having their own playoff

Advertisement
If the SEC has its own playoff and decides to crown itself the "national champion" you can pretty much kiss college football as we know it goodbye. Nobody north of the mason-dixie line is watching that ****. I know im not. The SEC thinks everyone in the country is just so in love with their conference and really its just the deep south, bible belt states that love the SEC.

Thats not a sustainable financial model long term. No network is going to back that especially after ESPN fell for that same "banana in the tailpipe" with Texas and there "Yeah we can pretty much have our own network and provide content that will bring millions of viewers because everyone loves Texas!, right?" WRONG. Lol.
Exactly. If they ever pulled this off, I would like to see is a flip flop of scheduling especially in the SEC. I would love see these bama ***** in a non conference game up North in mid November.

"We have an incredibly strong league, one that will be even stronger once Oklahoma and Texas join," Stricklin told Thamel. "The focus should be on how we as a league use that strength to further position the SEC as we face new realities. Commissioner Sankey has encouraged our athletic directors to think creatively, and an SEC-only playoff is a different idea that we should absolutely consider an option." -Scott Stricklin

I hope they do that. I think they'll get a rude awakening when most of the country won't care because none of their conferences would be represented.

Exactly. If they ever pulled this off, I would like to see is a flip flop of scheduling especially in the SEC. I would love see these bama ***** in a non conference game up North in mid November.
Right now, no one outside of Ohio State would beat them on a regular basis, even under those conditions. Penn State in a very good year, Michigan/Mich St/Wisconsin/ND in a great year for them. That's really it. But it'd be nice to see them have to work for something.

Advertisement
The CFP is basically an SEC playoff already. Outside of Clemson and OSU, usually 2 of the 4 teams are SEC. And will continue being that.
Lets see what happens now that Texas, USC and Miami all are in this NIL thing at full swing. Lets not make this a definitive statement just yet. The only reason SEC got two teams every year because the Pac-12 wasnt doing anything and USC might have something to say about that now.

Lets see what happens now that Texas, USC and Miami all are in this NIL thing at full swing. Lets not make this a definitive statement just yet. The only reason SEC got two teams every year because the Pac-12 wasnt doing anything and USC might have something to say about that now.

The ideal CFP Final 4 will be Miami-USC-SEC champ-Big 10 champ. Period. End of story. Ratings galore.

SEC will become a regional product. Even if they poach all the best players, College Football fans from other regions will tune in to watch Big-10, ACC, Pac12 and FBS over watching an nfl MiNOR league product that their teams have no interaction/competition with…. unless they get some other major big name programs to join in.
This is what I see. If they veer too far on their own, the other conferences will stop scheduling them. Then the debate becomes how can they claim to be the best without having played outside their conference.

I think this is more of a nudge at the powers that be to get working on a CFP that lets the SEC have an advantage.

Advertisement
This is what I see. If they veer too far on their own, the other conferences will stop scheduling them. Then the debate becomes how can they claim to be the best without having played outside their conference.

I think this is more of a nudge at the powers that be to get working on a CFP that lets the SEC have an advantage.

While I basically agree, the rest of the country has to back it up with ratings, i.e., turning off the SEC games. Until then, ESPN is still going to support "regional" football. Plus, it's a pretty big (and strong) region when you add in the University of Texas.

I may hate the SEC, but they get a lot of eyeballs. Currently.

While I basically agree, the rest of the country has to back it up with ratings, i.e., turning off the SEC games. Until then, ESPN is still going to support "regional" football. Plus, it's a pretty big (and strong) region when you add in the University of Texas.

I may hate the SEC, but they get a lot of eyeballs. Currently.
True, but remember the bickering over championships before BCS? Bama will look like UCF claiming to win every year just because they took the SEC. Meanwhile, Miami, USC, Ohio State, and Oklahoma State will be having a real national championship playoff.

True, but remember the bickering over championships before BCS? Bama will look like UCF claiming to win every year just because they took the SEC. Meanwhile, Miami, USC, Ohio State, and Oklahoma State will be having a real national championship playoff.

I agree. But much as the rest of college football marginalized the Rose Bowl, so too could we start to turn our backs on SEC "claims". Fugg 'em. Win it on the field, not on a t-shirt...

1653409093146.png

Advertisement
"We have an incredibly strong league, one that will be even stronger once Oklahoma and Texas join," Stricklin told Thamel. "The focus should be on how we as a league use that strength to further position the SEC as we face new realities. Commissioner Sankey has encouraged our athletic directors to think creatively, and an SEC-only playoff is a different idea that we should absolutely consider an option." -Scott Stricklin

Reeks of incest…

If the SEC has its own playoff and decides to crown itself the "national champion" you can pretty much kiss college football as we know it goodbye. Nobody north of the mason-dixie line is watching that ****. I know im not. The SEC thinks everyone in the country is just so in love with their conference and really its just the deep south, bible belt states that love the SEC.

Thats not a sustainable financial model long term. No network is going to back that especially after ESPN fell for that same "banana in the tailpipe" with Texas and there "Yeah we can pretty much have our own network and provide content that will bring millions of viewers because everyone loves Texas!, right?" WRONG. Lol.
THIS.

I live in SEC country(Louisiana) & I have never had any liking to them and never will. These clowns flip flop like a fish out water. I remember when crybaby Saban was in Baton Rouge, It was "LSU, LSU". When the Tim Tebow era was in place. you these same people wearing Florida gear and Tebow jerserys in particular. And now you have Bama Georgia and guess who they are rooting for now? Them having their own "playoff" means nothing especially if as another poster said earlier, The U and USC start to roll(and they will). Will some teams get desperate or dumb enough to join their parade? Probably but in the end, they would be hurt more than be helped imo.

Advertisement
All that says to me is that the $ec is really worried about actual parity in football. When those top two teams that carry the conference start losing, the bottom feeders like the gaytor won't be able to chant $ec $ec $ec to prop themselves up anymore.

$ec can't lose the playoffs anymore if nobody else can play in them.

View attachment 186908
This is the most bizarre **** ever. I couldn't give two ***** about the ACC other than us.

The fans will dictate alot of this. Believe it or not, college fans dont want too much change too fast. There has been ALOT of changes in college football these last few years that could chase away the average fan. (conference realignments, traditional teams leaving conferences for other conferences, transfer portal, NIL deals, etc)...the **** NFL doesnt even have this many drastic changes in a 2-3 year period. College football better be careful. Keep it simple. Dont mess with the model too much.

If the $EC or B1G invites us, I **** sure hope we on the first train smokin to sign that paperwork

Nothing good gonna come from being left behind in an even more watered down ACC — starting with the $40M per year less we'll make on media rights and the difficulty filling out a quality schedule.

Advertisement
Back